1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do some people assume we will be out in first round again?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ranny, Apr 1, 2015.

1. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Who the hell is this guy and where is the real Ronny?

2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

until I see it I'm going to assume we won't make it out of the first round, especially this year where everyone is strong in the league.

outside of GSW, I don't feel like any team in the west is confident they will win in the first round, not Memphis, not Clippers, not anyone.

Plus I feel like we always flop against good teams, I don't really trust this offense to be consistent unless Howard comes back full force

I remember watching the 08-09 team, I was 90 percent confident we will win in the playoffs, that team had a lot constants, I knew Battier and Artest would be a pain to anyone on defense, I knew when you dump it to Yao, he will get double teamed, I knew if Scola gets a post up or a mid range jumper he will score half the time, I knew our bench would bring endless energy with Lowry and Landry.

I look at our roster, nothing is constant, it always feels sketchy, maybe Brewer will go off, maybe Donuts would get his post ups, Maybe Josh Smith will hit his jumpers. I don't like the do or die offense with Harden handling the rock 100% of the time especially when he shut down completely last year in the playoffs on both ends of the floor. The only constant we have is Howard, with his defense, rebounding. The team is built for regular season success where we beat weak teams on talent alone, and yolo it against good teams by Harden going hot, it's not a formula for playoff success.

3. topfive

topfive CF OG

Okay...

So it's easy to beat us in a 7 game series, but anything less than the WCF is a failure? :confused::confused::confused:

4. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

McHale will be the reason why the Rox fail in the PlayOffs year after year. He simply is one of the most unprepared coaches in sports history. Fumbles last minute or second plays like he doesn't care.

5. Ranny

Ranny Member

Wow negativity runs rampant at night around here....

6. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

McHale sux and Morey extended him because he follows Moreyball philosophy. Other than that having such a sorry ass coach will hurt the team in any serious contention.

1 person likes this.
  7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I started following the Rockets in 2002

we've 1 (one) playoff series in 13 years

There's nothing left in me but negativity. nada

8. Ranny

Ranny Member

Yeah i get it McHale is the source of all evil.

Other mentioned reasons to be pessimistic are our health (very reasonable) and our past history and some ethereal notion that the Rox are destined for failure, but definitely McHale is by far the most used excuse for the lack of belief on this years team.

McHale has a lot to prove on this playoffs, and if we do end up losing on the first round........ oh boy... guys like you will be unbearable here with the "I told you so"..............

9. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Good way to put it, especially about the 2009 team. Even without McGrady, it took losing Mutumbo and Yao in the playoffs to derail that postseason run.

10. topfive

topfive CF OG

McHale's so bad he somehow managed to get this team to the 4th best record in the league, despite the Rockets having one of the highest games-lost-to-injury AND us playing in by FAR the toughest division.

He also managed to incorporate new rotation guys mid-season AND got Josh Smith to play to his capabilities more nights than not.

Or was that Harden who did all that?

Anyway, I see your point. Screw McFail. What a loser. He sucks.

11. rocketsmetalspd

I tell myself every year this is the year we get to the finals. Go Rockets!!

12. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

I really feel sorry for folks that can't enjoy the best team we have had this century. They allow completely unrelated past events to eliminate any enjoyment of this tremendously entertaining team.

p.s. I have been following the team closely since they left San Diego...and my optimism for the team for the next few years could not be higher...and my enjoyment is approaching 94/95 levels.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I've been following this team since the late 70's and I'm enjoying the HELL out of this season, especially since I can finally watch them on TV......

That being said, I'm still apprehensive about the playoffs because it's a totally different brand of basketball and I'm not sure if our present style is a good fit.

I don't think that makes me a bad fan.

1 person likes this.
  14. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

It doesn't. I have the same misgivings. I've never seen this style of play work during a long playoff run. That's why I've taken a wait-and-see attitude regarding this team during the season. How they fare during the playoffs will answer a lot of questions about what McHale and Morey's have done.

15. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

We have just as good of a chance as anyone (except GSW) to win it all. We also have just as good of a chance as anyone (except OKC) to exit after the first round.

16. Great Red Flash

It's funny how last season Morey expected that garbage team to get to the Western Conference Finals and that anything less would be a disappointment. Now everyone seems to have the rockets pegged as a first round exit and I don't blame them.

McHale is still somehow coach despite failing to meet Morey's expectation last season and this team only having one player maker (Harden) on the team. Its going to be all on Harden or else this team is a 8-9 seed like many have said.

I have no confidence in this team and even getting to the second round would surprise me.

17. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Injuries and reliance on Harden to get to the line. Harden will have to adapt and play great defense. I have no doubt he will but when your asking dumb asses like Chris Broussard to give their opinion.....well. What did you expect?

I feel pretty good about the Rockets going into the playoffs. If the Front court can get healthy and McHale can come up with a formula to defend Parker, Lillard, etc., they should do well.

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The one playoff series we won, we won because of toughness

This team is definitely tougher than last year's

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Our guys will have to play at a very high level in the playoffs. Adjustments and substitutions will have to be made quickly, when the going gets tough.

Defense, and better rebounding will be critical. Who will step up when they take the ball out of Harden's hand? We can't play soft or scared, when the shots aren't going down.

Can they do it? I think the answer is yes, if we believe in ourselves and remember what got us to this point in the first place.

20. Ranny

Ranny Member

I agree.

Among the many factors that are relevant such as Skills, strength, health, luck, strategy etc. Another key factor is confidence. The players need to believe they are capable of achieving great things in order to actually achieve them. No great thing has ever been done by being insecure.

I do hope the players and all team members believe in themselves, and i definitely hope they believe in themselves more than many people here. If they don't then we are definitely screwed.