1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do so many people choose to live in SF, NY etc?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pirc1, Jun 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Jontro

Jontro Member

NYC is where all the super heroes are.

2. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

relevant

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wCjKr8i1Lsw?rel=0&amp;showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Are you seriously asking why people live in San Francisco?? It's painfully obvious...

They get to experience the greatest basketball team in the world sr, I dont care how much it cost, CurryDaGawd is priceless.

I have no clue why people like that **** hole NYK tho.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Both are world class cities. I thought about moving to San Francisco in 1969. Already, things were changing for the culture I was involved in, so I probably missed my window for having the best time there. It was something I could have done, though. New York? I've never wanted to live there, not really, but have loved visiting. I can certainly understand why those who can pull it off do so. It's incredible. I've always been fascinated by how different both cities are, and how great they both are. They are like magnets that draw you back, but for different reasons.

5. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Of course there are people that thrives in these places, I am just not seeing it for average middle income families. The home I have will cost me over a mil in SF, which I will never be able to buy. My kid goes to one of the top school district in the country, which probably will not be possible if I was living in NY. Comfortable middle class American living is more important to me than living in these expensive big cities while staying in a bird's nest and always looking for parking spots or waiting for traffic to move.

#25 pirc1, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  6. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Visiting these places are nice I agree.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Nice to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. Same with Paris. I'd live in Rome though.

8. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

It's not easy being Asian in America... I'm in the same situation.

9. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I think every person under 25 should go live in NYC for at least 6 months to experience the city. It's a magical place. A bit overwhelming, but a transformative experience for most.

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I love Rome. I've only been to about 10 cities in Europe and that is where I would live also. Second being Budapest.

I would live in NYC again though. I can't leave my son in Austin so it's not even an option any time soon to leave here.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm going to Budapest in a couple of weeks for the first time and really looking forward to it. :)-

12. dockerland

dockerland Contributing Member

Having spent 11 nights in New York recently on our US trip I would jump at that chance to live there. There is just something that makes the place so special, I understand that may be different if financially you were struggling though. I agree with the poster above, living in New York during your 20's would be ideal.

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

That's awesome man, I hope you enjoy it. I did a tour there through all the Jewish neighborhoods and ended up at the "Ruin Bars" there. My friend and I that I was with met some cool people.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Thanks! I'll see what I can find out about that bar. :)-

15. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

Other than the cost of living (and traffic), why wouldn't you want to live in SF? Great city, great weather, great for outdoor activities, easy access to skiing/snowboarding, wine country, surfing, great cycling, museums, access to high paying jobs, parks, great restaurants, etc. Better public transit than most big cities. For the people that have lived there a long time and stayed in the same place, rent control keeps rent from being as out of control as it is for folks who are new to the area. There are very few places I'd rather live than the bay area.

16. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

Agreed.

If you cut out the cost factor, SF is awesome! I'm not sure why the OP hates the city so much.

You don't count cost in these discussions -- you just evaluate the city itself based on things to do, eat, natural prettiness, land surroundings, arts, etc

17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

It is easier to pay off that Tesla via driving Uber in NY and SF than in Houston and Jackson or Mississipi.

18. Caesar

Caesar Member

I used to be so jealous in my early 20's where a lot of my friends, especially chicks were moving to NY, LA, SF, Chicago, Miami. I wondered how the hell they could support themselves? Was it mommy and daddy taking care of them? Then i realized there was no way they were alone. That's not making it on your own. Those people have always had tons of roommates because they can't survive on their own. Now in our 30's and they still have tons of roommates. They're never going to own a home in those cities.

Let's be honest though. The prospects of moving to NY, LA or SF are great for a good looking, smart woman. They can just seduce a Doctor or some well off person and live the rest of their lives comfortably in those cities. For men, it's just not sustainable to have roommates all your life.

19. Caesar

Caesar Member

What do you fellas think about Seattle over San Francisco? Any comparisons?

20. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I've never been to either, but I'll be going to NYC for the first time in about a month.

I'll be there for 4 or 5 days.

Any advice as to must do's or must eats?