1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do so many fans hate Steve and Cat?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by prettyricky, Jun 10, 2002.

Tags:
  1. prettyricky

prettyricky Member

I really am curious as to why our backcourt takes so much heat from their own fans. Since I recently moved away from Houston I realize that they get much more respect from people in other markets than they do in H-town.

I have concluded it must be one or combinations of the following:

1. We haven't made the play-offs since we drafted Steve.(not entirely their fault. buzzword: injuries)

2. They are very expressive.

3. They are cocky.

4. There is the perception that they are selfish.(still dont understand why?)

5. They dont play smart. (I do agree, but they do play hard)

I love Steve and Cat, but apparently i'm in the minority and I really am curious are these the reason why? if so I don't think they're good ones.

#1 prettyricky, Jun 10, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2002
  2. lpbman

lpbman Member

you forgot defense

3. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

because they don't know any better.
    poor basturd$.

4. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

This idea comes from the fact that posters here seem to say that Francis "doesn't want to" play SG. IMO, SG is his best offensive position. Francis and Mobley really seem to only pass the ball to each other. As well as the fact that Francis hasn't bothered to put any kind of commitment on defense, the one thing that doesn't have a stat. Francis loves to get rebounds, and points, since he'll get credit for that. But there's no stat for playing good positional defense, or even just putting effort on defense. Francis' defense consists of standing somewhat flat footed (He doesn't really go into a defensive crouch nor does he use his arms well). My main beef is the lack of defense. If he commits himself to defense, I will shutup about him.

5. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

They actually take no more heat than the fans give all the other Rockets.

Cato, (not even close) KT (hundreds of fat, short,and trade posts that salivate about trading him package him and 15 to move up to 8 or probably even 12)

Mo T (greatly overpaid, fat, no defense no rebounding, pot smoking, lazy )

Moochie, (record overpayment , no defense, dribbles too much) Collier and Langhi (don't even have to mention).

Rudy T (old has been, dumbest x's and o's coach in NBA, poor offensive scheme, no defense, alcoholic, no discipline.)

So don't be feeling sorry for Steve and Cuttino.

As to why? , the frustration of losing and it's a fan's perogative. The players can't fight back like your significant other or even the family pet. Who knows?

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

ricky -- it's funny...I love Steve Francis...and I like Cat Mobley...but that doesn't make them immune from my criticism. I've seen enough hoops to know that Francis and Mobley are a long way from learning the lessons that need to be learned in order to make this a championship team. Ultimately, their commitment to defense sucks...and that makes me question their commitment to winning. How many times do you think these guys have heard the phrase, "defense wins championships" in their lives???

Just because you run like crazy and smile a lot and have fun, doesn't mean you're selling out to win....

I think there's also some resentment from fans concerning the demands of Francis and Mobley....uh, oh...better not trade one or the other will leave because their bestest buddies...uh, oh..better not draft a shooting guard, because Francis will get mad because that's his bestest buddies' position...uh, oh...better not draft a point guard, because Francis doesn't want to play another position. What standing does Francis have to make the arguments??? I freaking love the guy...he's my favorite player in the league...but damn, this isn't exactly a guy who has a handful of championships....since he's been the Franchise, the franchise hasn't been real good, quite frankly. Now that's certainly not all his fault...but in a team game, there is a share of blame he stands with.

7. tod the bod

tod the bod Contributing Member

You forgot to add that they dribble too much, wait too long to pass the ball (more Cat than Steve), and take a lot of forced shots with time running down. They are good players. They just need to be more disciplined, and a new coach.

8. Live

Live Member

Great point, kidrock8.

As of now, Steve and Cat seem (and I stress 'seem', don't take that as the truth just a perception) to be more concerned with stats and protecting their spots in the lineup than winning.

But in their defense, all young players are like that, concerned with trying to establish themselves individually.

When they start playing like stars and making their teammates better, that's when people will get off their cases.