1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do people want Kevin Love? He doesn't play defense...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jan 5, 2013.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

Defensive oriented players are both more widely found, and cheaper. Morey has shown he can find supporting casts. He has trouble landing the major pieces. Give Morey a blank slate with 23yr old Harden and 25yr old Love, and he'll find the pieces around them.

2. arjun

arjun Member

Kevin Love can help score against tough teams in the playoffs when the game slows down and the defense is focused on James Harden.

Essentially what Patterson has done for us last couple of games by hitting key 3s.. Love would get those looks ALL DAY. Teams would not be able to clog up on Harden and Lin.

We score so much because we play fast. When we play a tough team in the playoffs..the game will slow down and we will be forced to create everything in the half court...then, having a player like Love would be GREAT.

And OK he may not be a great defender...but Patterson's defense is not that much better than Love's to make up for what Love will provide for us offensively.

Oh..and Love/Asik rebounding duo..would be sick

3. AbrahamLincoln

I second this. I don't like either one. Why not develop one of our 1,000 pf options? People get excited about players with established names. Neither player puts us into serious contention in the west. We are winning, but lets not forget this is a rebuild. Rebuilding teams are suppose to develop talent and we have plenty of talent, so much that its rotting on the bench. We are building to be a juggernaut and contend with OKC. Selling off all our youth and talent to acquire either Love or Smith and then routinely get our tails kicked by OKC is not the way to go.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I won't count out LeMarcus though..... he should be in the mix

5. Viola

Viola Member

At this point, Josh is a better fit.

6. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

Al Jefferson

[​IMG]

Dirk Nowitzki

[​IMG]

Nice try, but no cigar. He's the best mid range shooter. Dirk's the best 3 point shooter for PF/C.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Beggars can't choose
    so I'll be glad to have either one Aldrige, Love or Smith
    to a favorable contract which is I hope a tad below max

8. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

agreed. would much more prefer lamarcus over kstink.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

you are close too. 2 pt percentage does include more than jumpers.

Dunks, lay-ups, finger rolls, tear drops you name it.

10. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

God, any one of LMA, Smith or even Jefferson has that other dimension to their game that the Rockets desperately need that Love doesn't have.

Post game >>> 3 point shot

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

haha I get that you have some personal vendetta against that guy
    but there is a reason Dwight Howard is called the best center of a generation despite his shortage of post moves

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

I've never heard a single word from Portland suggesting he's available. I'd certainly want Morey to put up a competitive offer if he is. But right now I'd say it's more likely Dwight Howard comes than Aldridge.

But I still want Love over him, assuming injuries have been fluky. Love is younger, can shoot the 3 at a ridiculous clip, and has an underrated mid-range/post game. One that's only getting undervalued because Pekovic plays inside.

13. cbk41

cbk41 Member

Donuts has a sick post game and a good 3-point shot, but he has no sand in his pants :(

14. arjun

arjun Member

that actually gives me more hope.

15. cbk41

cbk41 Member

It's called a lack of a talent pool and the various style changes that have occurred in the NBA over the last 15 years (some due to rule changes, others not).

16. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

Howard's "post moves" work because his 10 feet wide shoulders and 100lbs worth of muscle just push defenders out of the way when he does his moves.

Half of the time they don't work though as they result in offensive fouls. Rofl...

17. bmd

bmd Member

The are all very good points, actually.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am all for developing young talents before trades but I trust in Morey in this one.

If he feels that either one of LA,KL, Jefferson, Josh can be had to a fair price...why not
    They won't be detrimental to winning.... everyone has their own strength that can help winning

19. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Dirk has a higher percentage at 10-16 ft and 16-23ft than Al Jefferson

Perhaps you need to learn what mid range is?

20. MiracleShot

MiracleShot Member

Dwight Howard the best center of a generation? Define a generation? I would think Yao and Shaq were both better and a part of the same "generation." And the reason Dwight Howard is currently the best center in the league is simply because he's an athletic FREAK and there is a pretty small amount of talent at the center position these days.