1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do People think Mcgrady will...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HTownTmac1, Nov 10, 2009.

1. SugarLandDream8

Superstars who gets all the credit do not blow in almost 40% of the streak. You will never see Lebron or Kobe play this poorly in 8 games out of 22...If this team was truly led by Mcgrady the streak would have ended after 3 or 4 games and not lasted 22 games

2. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

McGrady was also injured in that series, as he was injured for most of that season (shoulder and knee; i.e., what he got surgery on last season).

3. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

well for one thing mcgrady came back from a knee injury.. he wasent 100% more like 75 percent. and now if you read my thread and my first post on this thread. i want you to do what you did earlier and post mcgradys full stats from the washington game (where yao went down with injury forcing us to play team ball) to the lakers game. Do this if your so confident in yourself

4. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

In a perfect world, TMAC would change his style, be healthy, be a team player, support the coach and the front office ...

However, what he just did yesterday does not give me any confidence.

And in the real world, AI just asked to retire ...

5. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

well all i gotta say is..
    misunderstanding.
    why dont you go read the articles in full depth

6. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

The argument should not be about TMac's impact on The Streak...he played a HUGE part.

However, this is a different team trying to run a system that really wasn't in place in 2007. This system SHOULD be perfect for his game, but historically he has chosen to play "his way" which I don't feel will work with this team and the way we are playing. Can he conform? I doubt it, but it would be great if he did.

Would rather get rid of him

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

the dilemma facing us IF McGrady returns 100% is this. As many "anti-Macs" (don't want to use "haters") have pointed out, TMac does not fit the style we are playing now. And we are playing beautiful basketball. It is almost certain that TMac WILL change the style of our offense IF he comes back full strength and playing heavy minutes again.

However, those who think that we can win more games WITHOUT TMac than we can with him is delusional. Or put it another way, this current team without McGrady will NEVER be a championship contender. They simply don't have enough talent, physically or skill-wise. So if we want to be more than just a fun team to watch, we need someone on the level of a healthy TMac.

It seems that the possibility of landing a superstar by trading TMac is next to zero. And we also have seen that freeing up cap room to get a superstar FA in 2010 is also impossible. (If you still don't know this, PLEASE do yourself a favor and read this .) So the prospect of getting some super talent other than McGrady is probably tanking enough to get a top pick like John Wall. All these options are pretty much not feasible.

The only think left, imo, if we still want to be a contender in the near future is to hope that McGrady and/or Yao will come back strong and elevate the team to another level. How we are going to fit McGrady in, I have no idea. This is what Adelman has to figure out. If TMac cannot change his style, the second best we can do is use a two track offense. A motion offense when TMac sits and a "TMac offense" when he is playing.

What is for certain, as some have pointed out, is that there will be situations when we need someone like McGrady to win games in crunch time. Adelman's motion offense is nice. But the Kings he coached back then could not win (apart from the atrocious officiating) because they did not have a go-to guy when everybody else was panicky. I remember in the deciding game in that series, the only guy who were not afraid to shoot was Bibby. And Bibby was no McGrady in terms of drawing double team and setting his teammates up for easy baskets.

#67 Easy, Nov 10, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  8. role_50

role_50 Member

there is no way t-mac can fit into adelman's scheme and find his role on the team this season! The rockets now know they can win without t-mac and all it would take is someone like amare or bosh to put the rockets over the top. I think the t-mac lovers are asking too much from him to bounce back dramaticly from an injury or injuries of his magnitude, i'll give them this- he hasn't been completely healthy the last 3yrs. but he has not had the most confidence in himself, his game, or his teamates either and you just don't comeback from that overnight. Let him and his contract leave h-town so we can bring in someone who will play all throughout his contract and not in the begining or at the end of it!

9. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

They never have any evidence, just the same ole statements. He is a spoiler, he is a cancer, etc. :rolleyes:

10. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

ok but what about

2/2 MIL 33pts 14-27
    2/4 MIN 26pts 10-21
    2/22 NOR 34pts 14-26
    2/24 CHI 24pts 7-13
    2/29 MEM 26pts 10-18
    3/2 DEN 22pts 10-21
    3/5 IND 25pts 10-22
    3/6 DAL 31pts 13-23
    3/8 NOR 41pts 17-27
    3/14 CHA 30pts 12-25

mcgrady never took credit for it... he said it was all team effort.

11. Pocket Rockets

So are these excuses for us to not win this series even though we had a 2-0 and 3-2 series lead with hca? Seems like the matchup was good enough for us to take the lead in the series but not win it? How about the mavs series? Seems like our shooting was extraordinary that series. Yes juwan didn't play but they adjusted enough to take a 2-0 series lead coming HOME.

They overcame those deficiencies to take a series lead in both but couldn't finish it. Mcgrady has had a good enough supporting cast to advance. There are teams that have had less talent that have advanced. This excuse shouldn't be valid anymore.

Mcgrady did play well in these series but he didn't play well when it counted.

12. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

It doesn't matter what espn commentators say. They are full of **** 95% of the time.

13. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/O9yezegWdQ0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/O9yezegWdQ0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

That was the only time he was relatively healthy in the Rick Adelman system and was a top 3 MVP candidate till he got injured.

I hope Grover has gotten him healthy and has fixed his body WHERE he can stay healthy.

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Over the entire streak, Tracy averaged 22 ppg, 6 apg, 5 rpg, on 44% shooting from the field. His PER was around 21 over that span (which is very good, and certainly team leading). He had off games, of course, but no one is saying that he was a top 5 player or whatever during that streak.

The fact of the matter is he helped the team reel off all those wins, and no one was complaining back then about lack of chemistry. Quite the opposite. So why is it assumed that when McGrady is added to this group that everything will go south?

15. illwil29

illwil29 Member

does T mac slow the offense down or does the offense become slow because of Yao?

16. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

Thank you so much man. i have been waiting for that guy to respond with the same thing... thanks for not denying the truth

17. Pocket Rockets

Its not assumed. Based on history, Tracy feels comfortable and more efficient in a half court set as opposed to a more uptempo style that this current squad uses. If this is what we have to go by, it seems like a very slim chance this would be a successful fit for tracy.

It may very well work out with tracy for the remainder of the season (or if he gets traded), however at what cost will it be? I would rather see players develop then showcase tracy who most likely won't be here past this season.

18. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

i think people only remember the 08-09 limping mcgrady. they expect the same type of player, which is my only explanation.

obviously having tracy back will change the dynamics of the team b/c he has a very unique skillset. but it's ludicrous to think he would "hurt" the team if he is healthy.

19. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Not surprising that a positive thread that tries to unite all the fans behind all our players gets only 2 stars.

20. mms

mms Member

I thought only Yao has the ability to slow down the team.