1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

why do people still smoke?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by newAge_Rockets, Sep 22, 2014.

Tags:
  1. dmc89

dmc89 Member

You may already be aware of this, but smoking hookah is very harmful as well. People assume the water does something to clean it up; it doesn't. If you lounge and chat for an hour or two like many hookah smokers, you're inhaling more tobacco smoke than a typical cigarette smoker. And that hookah smoke is severely polluted - namely with carcinogens, CO, and heavy metals like Cd.

Whether it's tobacco or mar1juana, eliminating smoke is the biggest key. Vaporizers are much better imo.

2. likestohypeguy

You don't think bubbling smoke through water catches more particulates than not?

3. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

I switched over to American Spirits about 2 years, ago. No additives, just whole leaf tobacco and naturally occurring nicotine. Not a safer product, just saying I hope they don't do that to my ganja.

4. dmc89

dmc89 Member

That's a common misconception. It's not about what I think, it's evidence as seen in this PDF of a 2005 study by WHO on "Waterpipe Tobacco Smoking". Essentially, the water only lowers the smoke's temperature and acts as a poor filter - 5-10% is the cited figure for nicotine, tar, and some of the heavy metals.

5. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

The answer is simple

1) Nicotine is the most addictive substance known to man

2) People have difficulty making behavioral changes that take time to see the results over instant gratification.

6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

They've done studies on this. Rates of cancer among hookah smoking populations, attributable to the tobacco exposure, are just as high as those in cigarette smoking populations. Granted, most hookah smokers don't do it daily (although a few do), but when you correct for rate of smoking it ends up equal.

Yeah, it was a shocker for me too. After that it was easy never to smoke a hookah again.

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Because driving safely to your home address is easier than psychogenic decancerization.

8. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Quit smoking for 2 years while I was locked up. I wasn't even out 2 hours, and smoked a cigarette. :mad:

I gained a lot of weight though. I went from 165, to 215. Within 3 months I slimmed back down.

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Oh no, I'm entirely aware.
    The water does cool the smoke though so its way less harsh than cigarette smoke is, not only that but the flavored tobacco and the flavored base does add to the flavor of the smoke.

10. likestohypeguy

Just to be clear, I don't think anything makes smoking as healthy as not smoking, or remotely safe, or even better compared to other types of filters. I'm just saying water does do something to clean it up compared no water all else being equal- eg smoking the same water pipe dry vs. filled with water. Particles do get trapped in the water, and the more water the less particles make it through. Everything you see in the water that's not in the dry pipe would have been that much more in your body. I do understand how pointing that fact out would make someone think I might not be on their team, but I assure you I also agree smoking is bad.

11. RedRedemption

You're not accounting for the amount we smoke in a given session, compared to smoking a cig or two outside.

I'm literally smoking for two hours.

12. rockets > *

rockets > * Member

For those that want to quit: Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking.

Read it.

Thank me later.

13. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

could never date a smoker.. shiits nasty..

14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

is it really that addictive, I don't really turn down smokes from friends in social settings, but ****'s nasty as hell I've never felt compelled to buy a pack myself

15. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

There's no better way to break off an impending engagement.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

The Jerk Store called.... They're running out of YOU! :mad:

1 person likes this.
  17. Panda23

Panda23 Member

one of my good friends had this girl chasing him, and she would never smoke around him/let people alude to it. was completely rediculous watching it play out from both sides.

18. RedRedemption

Who knows. I've only smoked cigs for maybe a week and I quit that crap after the horrid smell that wouldn't go away.

19. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

Can't smoke no cigs
    Always gives me a wicked hangover :/

20. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

because **** it.