1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

why do people still smoke?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by newAge_Rockets, Sep 22, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Why do people smoke pot?

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

Why do you touch yourself at night?

It feels good, man.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think it's peer pressure more than anything, bobrek. You're around friends who are already smoking and you think it looks cool. Maybe a chick you like smokes. Anyway, it's enough to get past the, "God, this tastes like **** and is making me dizzy" stage. After that, you find that you actually enjoy smoking. You enjoy how it makes you feel. The little rituals. Getting one out of a pack and lighting up. The first cigarette with a cup of java in the morning. The classic smoke after an exercise session with your significant other. One could go on. Once you're into all of that, you're addicted as well, so quitting isn't nearly as easy as starting to smoke. It's all common knowledge, and it's all true. Better never to begin doing what's not only bad for your own health, but the health of those around you. And that's all very easy for me to say. ;-)-

4. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

NEG REPPED!!! :mad:

5. dmc89

dmc89 Member

I'd say it's also ignorance of the health consequences. Sure, everyone's seen images of what happens to your body internally. People likely received some corny anti-smoking presentation in grade school, read articles online, blah blah. Nonetheless, few have witnessed, for extended periods of time, what happens to your cardiovascular system and your lungs.

When you see that decrepit shell of a human being that used to be your uncle, tubes and machines barely propping him from death, when you see the costs of the medical bills, and the toll on family and friends, and finally how none of the doctors, PAs, and nurses smoke, it makes you look at those seemingly harmless rolls of paper in a different light. I knew a few people who worked as in-house counsel for a major tobacco company. None of them would touch their employer's products. That itself was a big sign.

Btw, if you really need your nicotine and tobacco fix, and the patches don't work, electronic cigarettes are better than nothing.

6. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

I don't get why people smoke cigarettes, but I enjoy a cigar every now and then. And a good cigar is a great way to perk yourself up and feel better and more energetic.

7. da_juice

da_juice Member

Because most of the heavy, pack a day smokers I know started young (around 12 or 13)to look cool. All of whom tell me they regret it, but continue to smoke a pack or two a day.

I'll occasionally bum one off. I need an occasional nicotine rush when I'm stressed or when I've been drinking.

8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm 27. When I see someone my age that is smoking, I automatically assume their IQ is average at best.

Maybe that's wrong of me.

Im sure I do things from time to time to make people think I'm dumb, too, though. Smoking has got to be one of the dumbest things you could do to yourself. Not to mention its an easy way to alienate yourself from others.

9. M.G.

M.G. Contributing Member

I honestly do the same thing, though I'm admittedly almost a decade younger. It's probably wrong of me, but I just don't understand it.

My generation grew up learning about everything wrong with cigarette smoking. Not just corny health class presentations, but constantly seeing gruesome anti-cigarette commercials and campaigns. That stuff is really powerful, especially for young children.

I don't understand how anyone my age decided to start smoking. No one thinks it looks "cool" anymore and it has a huge negative stigma.

10. vaioavan63

vaioavan63 Contributing Member

Sometimes I see people at the convenience store anxiously paying for their multiple packs of cigarettes like they almost can't wait to get their smoke on. I don't understand what a the fuss is about. I've tried cigarettes in the past and I didn't enjoy smelling like an ashtray. If I would have gotten a buzz then maybe, but not even that.

11. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Are we all having fun at the high horse parade?

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Just a little more fun than doing black phlegm shots on the preventable cancer party bus.

1 person likes this.
  13. rudan

rudan Member

Why do people get tatoos? I know they want to stand out due to low confidence issues, but doesn't it defeat the purpose if a large amount of the population has them?

Same thing can be said about weed smokers............

14. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Tattooed weed smoking guy banged your wife. The tell was your post.

15. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Of course it is, linking intelligence with morality or social class is suburban snobbery 101.

16. body slam

body slam Member

Mid to late 80's growing up in a small town it was the first step in a attempt to be cool and it was easy to get. Most of my friends had tried it in their early teens if not sooner. I never tried it not because I was to cool to try it, but because I lived in fear of my father and what he would do if he caught me with it.

17. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I see some Adrian Peterson parenting did some good here...:grin:

What too soon?:confused:

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

That's even becoming a thing of the past. There are Vapes, edibles, creams.

19. rage

rage Member

Some of the smokers on the list:
    Walt Disney, Peter Jennings, Kate Moss, Albert Einstein, Edwin Hubble.

http://www.smokersassociation.org/famous-smokers-encyclopedia

20. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

because nicotine and ritual relieve stress and anxiety
    and choosing non-conformity frees you from feelings of inadequacy

*not condoning just explaining