1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

why do people say turkoglu is good?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by robbie380, Feb 27, 2003.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

danny ainge just made a dumb comment saying that turkoglu would start on the mavs and play 40 minutes. and it seems like i hear other basketball people jock turkoglu also. i mean the guy has a nice shot and can play in the flow of a good offense but other than that what else does he do?

2. bobododo

bobododo Member

he is good because he can rebound and plays good defense(both better then Peja). Plus he's a better slasher and has a nice looking shot.

3. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Danny Ainge is right. If Dallas had Turk, Finley could move to shooting guard permanently and play in a three-man rotation with Van Exel and Nash. Up front rotation would be Dirk, Raef, and Bradley, leaving huge minutes for Turk at the 3. Why wouldn't he play 40? He's easily better than Najera, Griffin, Williams, and Bell.

Hedo is a good shooter, very good rebounder at the 3 (good enough to snag some minutes at the 4), amazing passer (before getting Bibby, the Kings were planning on starting him at point), and his defense is far better than most people think.

Yes, those "other basketball people" know what they're talking about.

4. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

just to clarify, "other basketball people" cannot possibly include Danny Ainge.

Ainge SUCKS!!!!

tyvme.

:D

5. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Damn straight.

6. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Hedo is fundamentally sound, plays decent on the ball D and really good team D and has measurably improved from his rookie season. Hedo is 6'10" (isn't that Griffins height?) and has excellent handles. He is versatile - plays both the SF and SG position and could play the PF in some matchups - Griffin, Gasol, Joe Smith, Radmanovic, Googs, maybe even Troy Murphy for a short time.

When the entire Kings team is healthy, Turkoglu is 8th or 9th in the rotation. You know that Mavs team that has spanked the Rox 4 times this year? They have yet to beat the Kings in 3 tries.

If the Rox ever decide to move Francis permanently to the SG position Hedo would be a great Point Forward for Houston. I'm not sure about the 40 minutes, but IMO Hedo could easily break into the Mavs rotation and maybe even start. Does anyone really think Raja Bell is better than Hedo?

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I like Hedo. I think he is a really nice role player and is versitle to be able to play a number of positions. Apparently he grew two inches over the summer to go from 6'8" to 6'10" which allows him to log time at PF during certain matchups.

He has a decent shot but not spectacular like Peja. He is more of a slasher/scorer than shooter. I get the sense that Nachbar for the Rockets is more like Hedo than Peja.

I find it curious that Jim Jackson has come to the Kings in the middle of the season and has pretty much surplanted Hedo as the swingman off of the bench however. Hedo went from a 7th man to the nineth man on the Roster. That is somewhat suprising.

Isn't it amazing that Hedo is the NINETH man on the Kings roster? Talk about depth!

Chris

8. Live

Live Member

Well, Hedo's "demotion" had as much to do with injuries as it did with Jackson's play.

But Adelman is doing the right thing, while Hedo was out the rotation took shape, no need to disrupt it.

Hedo's a good player, the kind of player the NBA needs more of. He's well-rounded, versatile, and comfortable filling a need. He could have better stats and play more minutes, but understands that the team doesn't necessarily need that from him.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Agreed. The injury definitely slowed him down. I just find it interesting that Jackson's level of play has made it hard to get Hedo into the lineup. I guess that is a testament to Jim Jackson more as a dis on Hedo.

Chris

10. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

Hedo could start on the Mavs.
    Nash
    Finley
    Turkoglu
    Nowitzki
    Bradley/Lafrentz
    Now that would be a tall lineup. Good one too.

Hedo is all right. He's not a star. But he's a good role player. I would like him.

WHY DO PEOPLE LIKE MIKE BIBBY?!? That...I do not know. He is a good shooter...but

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Hedo, I believe, is due for a big off season raise...making Christie available? For the Rox?

12. Drexlerfan22

No way. Kings want to win now; they won't give up their defensive stopper. There's always a slim chance they'd let Hedo go for the right price though, if they keep Jim Jackson around. Still doubtful, though.

13. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Hedo is a team option for next season and is dirt cheap as a #16 pick. IMO, they won't change a thing.

14. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

Why would they change their championship team? They already have everything. And they will probably WIN the title. Eh?

The Mavs would probably get him before us anyways.

15. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

Well anyways. It's weird.

WE were swept by the Mavs.
    But the Kings have beat them 3 times.
    But we have beat the Kings like 2 or 3 times.
    And the Spurs have and will beat the Kings at least 2 times.
    And the Lakers have lost twice to the Kings.
    And we have split with the Spurs.
    WELL............matchups or something.

Turkoglu hasn't been playing much...

16. Drexlerfan22

Whoa... now I'm confused! :eek: :confused: :D