1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

why do our Texans suck this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by msn, Nov 3, 2014.

?

Why do our Texans suck this year?

1. They're still learning BOB's new system. Give them time.

10.4%
  2. BOB's offense is unimaginative, predictable, and doesn't put them in position to succeed.

11.3%
  3. Two words: Fitz. Patrick.

60.0%
  4. The Texans have a few elite pieces but lack depth in general.

51.3%
  5. The transition from the ZBS has been difficult for the O-line; give them a few weeks.

4.3%
  6. The transition from the ZBS has been difficult for the O-line because they SUCK.

13.0%
  7. Other: this poll sucks.

17.4%
  8. "Suck"? Are we even watching the same team? They're AWESOME.

4.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. msn

msn Member

I've watched about half of the "action" so far this year. I'm wondering what everyone thinks is the main reason the Texans are such a disappointment so far this year. Or, am I too negative and missing out on some positives? Note: these poll choices don't reflect my opinion, but my attempts to fish out what some folks might think. I don't know what to think; I just don't like what I see so far.

2. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Weak overall Offense & Defense. Mediocre players outside of watt /foster.

Draft picks haven't produced.

1st year coach.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

You do realize they went 2-14 last year, that doesn't happen by accident.

They don't have very much talent, and an awful QB. All considered I think they've managed to be more competitive than they should be.

Very poor QB play and very poor linebacker play are the 2 areas that I would consider the biggest issues.

4. Remii

Remii Member

This is basically the same team that sucked last year.... Just the quarterback and coaching positions have changed.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Put me down for depth. There are holes all over this roster. They need OL help; linebackers and a QB, for sure.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Voted Fitzpatrick. He is best they have. I do not believe in the philosophy that since the fans haven't seen the backup QB flavor of the season suck in games, that he's worth trying.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Arian Foster is our offense, and Watt is our defense. Outside of that we have a few solid players on each side of the ball and that's about it. We're just not a very good football team.

8. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

Suck is the wrong term. I already KNEW the Texans were going to be just flat out depressing to watch at times. Anyone who actually thought that with a first year head coach, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and the missing holes we have that we would actually be playoff competitive should put down the beer for just a second. The only thing actually disappointing about the Texans for me so far is the way we lose games with the KILLER mental errors. It is god awful. From the Coach, to veteran players, to anybody, the Texans just find ways to lose games. On the other side however, I have seen bright spots in this team. I predicted the Texans would lose against the Eagles, but yet even in a loss like that, there were positives to look at. Whitney Mercilus and the Secondary took some steps in the right direction that game.

Bottom line, this thread sucks, no offense. Asking why the Texans suck this year is if you were expecting them to be playoff contenders is idiotic. Either that, or you worded the title of this thread VERY poorly. A better title would have been, "Why have the Texans been so disappointing so far this year?" or "What has dissapointed you the most about the Texans this year"

9. Summer Song Giver

Suck? This year? Man, where you been it's an anomaly when they don't suck.

10. MadMax

I agree with you that in all likelihood Mallet isn't the answer. Totally agreed.

I just don't know why you make a move to put him on your roster at all if you're not gonna give him some reps. I don't see what the Texans have to lose to find out if Mallet is capable of being an NFL QB. Particularly at this point when you're sitting 4-5. And when you continue to watch a QB incapable of consistently moving the football.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Depth. Depth. Depth.

That and overrating players like JJoe, Cushing, Andre, Brown.

We grew accustom to those players playing like pro bowlers. They are getting older and slower (in Duane's case dumber).

12. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I think you can only be disappointed if you started out with unrealistic expectations. If you thought we had good depth or that Fitz was supposed to be a long term solution at QB or that we'd suddenly be the Chiefs of last year then that's your fault.

13. MadMax

This is why I didn't buy the idea that it wasn't a full on rebuild. There were holes already...and many of the positions we felt good about were manned by aging vets whose age is showing.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Folks sucked the battlefight kool-aid right outta McNair's teet when he said it was a reload/retool. It's like they really thought Kubiak was that bad of a coach. He was bad but he also didn't have any depth either.

15. MadMax

Agreed..and I think personnel was at least partially his fault. Mostly because I have no idea what Rick Smith's actual job is.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Texans are watching Mallet in practice and have had an extended look at what he is capable. If the Texans play Mallet, it should be because he's the best QB. It should not be that he's sucked at practice and the Texans hope for a different result in a game because his level of suck has not been determined by the fans who say, "what's the worst that can happen" (not that I've seen you say this, but I see/hear this all the time).

That said, I would love for Mallet to come in, dominate, and deliver the Texans a Super Bowl, a playoff birth, a good game, etc. If Mallet proves he's better in practice, I suspect he'll play.

I want the Texans to try their best to win. The worst that can happen is that the coaches lose the players respect by playing an inferior QB to Fitz (I don't know if this is true, just suspect it based on Fitz starting) instead of playing the guy that has won the spot.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He has people skills. He is good at dealing with people (like Dunta). Can't you understand that?

2 people like this.
  18. MadMax

There have certainly been backup QB's who've surprised in real game action. There've been players overlooked only to find out that they're solid. Our best offensive weapon went entirely undrafted by a league-full of geniuses who wish they had him on their roster at this point.

I just feel like we know what we have in Fitz...and that we already know it's not the answer. I care less about winning next week than I do about finding the answer to the QB question. One is a short term issue...the other is a long term one.

And again...in all likelihood it's not Mallet; I just don't see what the big cost is in finding out and making sure.

19. underrated015

underrated015 Member

20. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I will be stunned if Mallett isn't named the starter for Cleveland; it feels like this has been BO'B's plan all along, barring Fitzpatrick putting together a much-better than expected season. The offense (minus defensive and special teams TDs) is averaging just a hair under 20 points/game, which would rank 25th. That's awful. Even if you cut them some slack and factor back in Bullock's three misses, they would jump all the way to 24th.

It's even more concerning because the defense, bless its heart, is causing lots and lost of TOs. Good offenses take advantage of those. This is not a good offense. Fitzpatrick is completing 52% of his passes the past two weeks and they've punted 12 times. I've defended Fitzpatrick thus far (though I've hoped for an injury each and every week) - he's been better than I expected.

But now he's quietly regressed the past two weeks, and being outplayed by Mark Snachez, I hope, was the final straw. Ryan Fitzpatrick has a ceiling: it's about 17 points, lots of punts, lots of incompletions. It's time to see if Mallett can break through that ceiling.

1 person likes this.