1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do Mexicans celebrate christmas on the 24th

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by kidcave9, Dec 25, 2010.

Tags:
  1. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Not just Mexico... It's a hispanic tradition to celebrate christmas going into midnight and do nothing the morning/afternoon of the 25th.

2. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure Dec. 25th is an arbitrary date.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

This thread is confusing... i take it most, hispanic or not, start celebrating on the 24th?

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

In Germany, it's also Christmas Eve (Dec. 24) that is the main day...main celebration (when the gifts are exchanged and people go to church)...then it's two Christmas holidays (Dec. 25 and Dec. 26) that are in reality mostly about eating, and being with the family. I think it is like that in most of Europe, except that some countries only have one official holiday (Dec. 25) instead of two.

5. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Why doesn't Megan Fox just marry me already?!?!

6. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

She keeps chasing me. I keep saying no. I only heart one <3<3<3. vanessa.

When I was little, we would have people come to my house, or we would go somewhere.

Today, we had hot pot at my sisters house. Boring as hell. Played an hour of Black Ops, and got the eff out.

7. Rock3t Man

Rock3t Man Contributing Member

[​IMG]

8. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

we dont celebrate it on the 24th, we celebrate christmas eve on the 24th (we call it: "nochebuena")

we have dinner (turkey and other dishes) exchange presents, and sometimes people give some gifts to the kids.

then on the 25th, the kids got presents by santa claus, and we eat the leftovers of the christmas eve dinner. (turkey and other dishes).

9. 00rocketgirl

00rocketgirl Contributing Member

I'm not Mexican and most of my families Christmas festivities are on the 24. Family gifts, white elephant, Christmas dinner, & candlelight Christmas Eve service at Church. Basically all that is left on Christmas day is stockings and some NBA basketball. Yesterday feels more like Christmas than today.

I am a white person, and I love tamales.

10. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

cuz they delicious!

11. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Yeah, my mom makes eggrolls on Christmas now that I think about it. Not this year though.

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

Not really a big deal to start celebrating on the 24th. However, I just realized yesterday that Russians celebrate Christmas on January 7th. Basically said Merry Christmas to a Russian friend, only to have her tell me to hold off for a couple of weeks. :)

13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

We open gifts on Christmas morning, but everything else (Mass, big dinner, family and over) is on christmas eve. I'm not mexican

14. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

I'm Mexican...usually goes something like this:

24th
    -Church
    -Family Gathering
    -Dinner
    -Family Present Exchange
    -Party (optional)

25th
    -Gifts from Santa
    -Church
    -Family Gathering
    -Afternoon Carne Asada
    -Relax or Party some more.

15. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Look at all these damn Messicans!!

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Pics or kill yourself.

17. Sym0™

Sym0™ Member

This is a terribly ignorant remark. You've just basically diminished a significant aspect of Islam, without any particular well thought out attempt at humour.

18. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

If your parents fail to tell you why, it's their FAIL. :p

It's actually Nochebuena, or "Good Night", like "Good Friday", this night is for the BIRTH of Jesus, and we do the last posada and pray the rosary to the Virgin Mary and Joseph who searched for the last place to spend the night so that the Baby would be born.

We party a lot. We party on Nochebuena, pray, pray again, party, and don't wait up for Santa Claus. We open presents from friends the same night, but wait for opening our parents' and Santa's presents the next day or in the morning if Santa arrived. The next day, we have re-heated Tamales... yum-a-dum-dum.

Now, you white, black, Asian/Indian/Pakistani peeps can come over to our Nochebuena anytime. ;)

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Where was your outrage when Point Forward called Jesus "your boy JC" and insulted Christians?

20. Sym0™

Sym0™ Member

Most probably because I am usually asleep at this time. Right now its 5:20 am in my part of Australia. But that is still a rude comment and I do hope people called him out on it.