1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do coaches use the same 5 in OT

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by WoodlandsBoy, Jan 14, 2010.

1. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

It seems to me that when in OT, double OT or triple OT alot of coaches keep the same 5 in the game unless they foul out.

We did this last night until triple OT and we won. I think alot of the reason we won was because Chuck finally fouled out and he had to put in Scola. Who spaced the floor better on Offense.

Why do these coaches run their team ragid in OT. Why not do more subs. IT seems crazy that they don't put in fresh legs.

2. Rollazn

Rollazn Member

Well Rick went with Chuck because he can actually defend Al Jefferson... AJ would have killed Scola... It was the right decision... Chuck had a career night.

Many coaches probably doesn't do this because these fresh legs are also ice cold... They don't want to put in a player who hasnt played in lets say 10 minutes to make shots or plays in crunch time... that's just what I think.

3. mrdan

mrdan Contributing Member

Once a player hits the bench after playing 35+ minutes, you don't want to get back out there. Their muscles will become stiff much faster.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

You typically don't see a lot of substitutions in the last 5 minutes of a game, unless a player fouls out or its an offense/defense situation. Coaches get a feel for what's working and what's not working during the game, and they want to stick with the lineup they think gives them the best chance to win to close it out. And every overtime is a "close out" situation since it only lasts 5 minutes.

That's why.

5. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Makes sense to me... Now where is the next thread for arm-chair coaching? I'm excited to see how many ways people can say the same thing.

6. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

You play OT as if it was your last OT. You put everything you can into winning it. You never really expect to go 3 OT's, so it doesn't make sense to sit one of your players expecting to do so.

7. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

Seams like most people agree with keeping the same 5 out there.

I still think putting in fresh legs for short stints is better than the same 5 going until foulouts.

8. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Best Answer

9. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

I would disagree with this. Let's say you've played for 40 minutes, and then your coach sits you down and have you rest for 3 minutes or something. While ostensibly you would get some rest, I think your legs would actually just get really, really stiff and you begin to lose the adrenaline that must be going through you after playing for a long period of time. Thus, when the coach sends you back in, you're probably stiff and not capable of playing for a while. After all, when you work out for a while, it's really not during the workout that you get completely dead, but within the first 5 minutes that you finish.
    So yeah, keep using the same guys. Besides, who would you have sent in that scenario? Scola can't guard Al, and Andersen, Lowry, and Chase had utterly awful games last night. No point sending them in.

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Blame Battier for missing an open lay up that would of prevented many OT's.