1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do Atheists get so much grief?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by aussie rocket, Jul 21, 2009.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

the more fun response is, "maybe God is judging Texas because we treat our kids and poor like crap, huh, Rick?" :)

2. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Completely Agree.
    I understand, and my apologies if my comment appeared as if it was trying to turn the discussion into one. I think the entire point I was trying to make was what you pretty much went on to say here:

And I think the above logic could be applied to almost any group I listed earlier. Each would claim being discriminated against disproportionately. As a Muslim, I see and feel the increasing intensity of Islamophobia, and at times the incessant fomenting of antipathy against Muslims and Islam can make me feel all the things you described- unwanted, unaccepted and undervalued. And I dont expect you to appreciate my experiences, much the same way I cant appreciate the kinds of things that go on which crap all over the secular. But you grow thick skin, move on, and try to think of constructive means by which you can attempt to counteract what you feel are negative social attitudes/trends. Anyways, just my 2 cents.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

One thing about atheism, I find it very interesting that many atheists, consciously or otherwise, swiftly shift between perceiving themselves as a non-ideological set of individuals and a group which shares the common "no ideology" ideology.

That's just my observation. Obviously, I could be biased, it could be that my experiences don't represent the average, and for some it might even be a case of still trying to completely break free from a group-ideology mentality. Any number of reasons why I could have noticed this, who knows.

Anyone else share this observation?

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Does ideology equal religion?

I think this is just a natural consequence of a pluralistic society that atheists would group themselves together. Anyway just because someone doesn't have a faith belief doesn't mean they aren't social.

5. Mathloom

Supporting Member

The way I define it is that all religion is ideology, but not all ideology is religion.

6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

In that case then why should it seem strange that atheists might be ideological?

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Atheism is individualistic, but that doesn't prevent them from coming together in groups (for example, http://www.secular.org/ or http://www.atheists.org/) if they so please.

You can be both.

8. Mathloom

Supporting Member

It's not strange at all IMO.

I've just been rebuffed many times being told that atheism is not an ideology.

But the way I see it, if an ideology is a group of people who commonly share a group of ideas, with differences here and there, then atheism seems like an ideology to me.

I know they don't necessarily work together towards those ideas, but it's not like people of religion are united and conspire together towards goals either (sunnis/shiites/catholic/protestant/etc).

Ideology doesn't have to have a God or a religion I think.

Ofcourse I could very well be defining ideology wrong.

9. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Is atheism an ideology? Possibly, based on how loosely defined that word is. My personal opinion would be no. However, I can see how atheists would share certain moral imperatives, goals, and ways of thinking outside of religious philosophy that would play a part in shaping an ideology that governed how they liked to live their lives.

10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Atheism itself might not be an ideology but doesn't mean that atheists wouldn't want to get together out of a common interest. Its like saying being a fan of the Rockets isn't an ideology (Rocketism?) but we still have Clutchfans.

Care to elaborate on that? Are you talking about different religions, ie ecumenicalism, or individual religions? Clearly individual religions work together to towards the goal of practicing and advancing their religion. Catholics work to advance Catholicism, Sunnis to advance Sunni Islam and etc.. To say that those religious people do not would seem to undermine the idea of having an organized religion.

I think you need to define ideology. Just because atheist organize doesn't necessarily mean they are ideological, it doesn't rule it out either.

11. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

They don't organize? I guess they don't build churches (or do they) but seems pretty organized in this day and age.

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Does Mathloom understand the difference between an atheist and an agnostic?

13. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Relative to what? 100 years ago?

If that is your measuring stick, I guess so.

Compared to every other ideological interest group, not so much.

14. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I don't get how any Houston sports fan can believe in any god or gods, at least not awfully cruel ones.

15. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Any atheist who views atheism as "a group which shares the common 'no ideology ideology" is stupid. That's like people who say atheism is like a religion, which is equally stupid and akin to saying bald is a hair color. Lack of belief is not an ideology.

I understand if you don't understand, though.

16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

You must be young. There are those of us who have seen his works!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OnIy_NhcDFg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CzUv5_YFhPI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hWuz_1LAGeo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. Rumblemintz

Rumblemintz Member

Second that.

Atheism is basically a rejection of religion, not a religion itself. I suppose you could say it's a 'practice' in that the rejection itself is what would be practiced.

One thing I've always wondered is why atheists get offended by religion. I can understand not wanting it forced down your throat. Trying to put my 'atheist' cap on I think I would be indifferent to religion and or to it's conotations. I don't understand how some take it personally. I'm sure this next comparison doesn't fly for people who do feel discriminated against for being an atheist: I don't believe in Santa but I don't pi$$ on the parades for those that do. At what point do we stop all of the frivilous legislation and waisting taxpayers monies on enforcing the removal of the word 'god' or anything resembling from the schools, the courthouses, or any other public entity? It's a waste of time and money. Ignore and move on?

I'm not meaning to offend. I personally believe it's your own choice to make and I'll stand up for anyone's freedom of choice. (actually I'm to lazy to make a stance for ya.....but I'll be with ya in spirit!)

1 person likes this.
  18. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Because the Governor asks us all to pray for rain. duh :rolleyes: ;)

19. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

No, you can't say that. That is dumb.

Unless not being an NBA player is a practice. Or not skydiving is a practice. Or not eating durian is a practice.

20. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Atheist tend to be secular humanist as an ideology.

Because theist tend to hang us, draw and quarter us, behead us, drown us to see if we float, disqualify us from elections, exclude us from all manner of groups (like the Boy Scouts), give us all manner of distrust and suspicion; and all because we threaten the certainty it takes for them to maintain their myths. Other than the political purposes of Mao and Stalin I don't think you have ever seen a real movement by atheist to discriminate against anybody. We rail at the illogic of religion but as long as you don't force it on us or deny us our basic rights that might conflict with your religious beliefs, we don't care what you believe.

#940 Dubious, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
    1 person likes this.