1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why did McNair build a retractable roof?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by LonghornFan, Nov 19, 2012.

1. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

See the thread in NBA Dish about the Memphis owners and how they take this to the next level.

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

The cold will make the opponents' testicles just refuse to come out at game time... no roof is good for them... but I bet we could use the 'heat' to slow Rodgers and Roethlisberger and Eli Manning and all those northerners down. :eek:

I also can see how the noise might affect them. I'm on the fence on this and can't come up with a better rule... but... I'd stick to it.

3. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

roof is closed today?!?!?

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

One of the most annoying things

5. Newlin

Newlin Member

When the roof is open doesn't it create some nasty sunlight/shadows on the field?

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It's not bad. They've had it opened routinely this time of year if there is no chance of rain (which is really only 1-2 games).

But I guess the kick returners don't need another excuse to randomly fumble.

7. conquistador#11

for the playoffs I wish they opened it and accidentally forgot to turn off the sprinkler system like the patriots when they were likable. crossing my fingers.

8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Tyler Ervin is out today. Not much to worry about when it comes to random fumbles.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

There is no sprinkler system.

10. conquistador#11

accidentally hose it down then. whatever it takes to make it look worse than jan 3, 2010 x 12

11. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

We don't want Jesus to see the unholy abomination we've let happen here.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  12. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Coach has final decision when the temps are in the 50-80 range and this coach will keep it closed for increased crowd noise (louder boos in today's case).

13. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

How many games has it been open? It's not as bad if NRG has a closed roof. It drives me crazy when they close MMP in good weather because of crowd noise. You have a retractable wall in that case.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  14. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I'll say this until I die...the loudest I've ever heard in probably close to 50 games was a Thursday night game against the broncos years back. Stadium was OPEN. Crowd was jacked because we were WINNING. Mario got 3.5 sacks I think. The roof, at this point, is just something else they can make the wrong decision on.

Seattle, open stadium, KC, open stadium. Every college field, open. The **** doesn't make a difference. The team DOES.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

LOL, awesome quote. And so true in so many ways.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

In 2008, every game was open because of the hurricane damage... and not only was it tolerable... but the season ticket waiting list actually grew.

Again, I sit on the sun side.... there are certainly times its been uncomfortable, but not more-so than noon games i've attended at UH or UT. I think open roof games are an awesome experience there. Still plenty loud.

The 50-80 rule is a total farce.... and is totally arbitrary as is (for instance, its more comfortable on a 82 degree overcast day than it is on a 75 degree direct sun day).

17. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Open roof might be exciting in person (only been to a game open at night) but noon games it's horrible watching on tv

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They've improved technology enough since the old analog antenna days, where shadows were awful for any game at Texas Stadium with that damn hole in the roof.

Its not that an open air game is "exciting" (its really not)... its just that it serves the purpose of having a retractable roof in the first place. So that instead of sitting in an indoor warehouse/airplane hangar, you can enjoy blue skies/sun when its a nice day outside (and in Houston, the nicest days of the year... which are always in October/November... happen to coincide with football season).

The biggest contrast is when you spend all morning tailgating in beautiful weather... and then go sit inside. You then come back out after the game, and its still beautiful outside... its a damning effect (that definitely gets accentuated after a loss).

red5rocket likes this.
  19. SuraGotMadHops

Louder boos, lol!!

20. Fantasma Negro

We have aretractable roof so the owner can have sex on the 50 with the roof open on Wednesday nights