1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why did McNair build a retractable roof?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by LonghornFan, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And there you go. Maybe if the texans lose some games badly at home, he will change his stance... but till then, it is what it is.

2. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

They didn't do it for James Cameron, they did because they are James Cameron.

3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Kubiak shouldn't have say in whether the stadium is closed or not. I feel it should be up to the conditions. It is just a huge waste of money to have a retractable roof that is never used.

4. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

im sorry when have you ever seen QBs turning red, screaming at the top of their lungs like they do in reliant in any open air stadium. matt ryan, dalton in the playoffs, even henne yesterday had to burn a timeout because he had to give every player the call 1 by 1.. open air stadiums dont come close to the deafening noise in a dome.. we havent historically been recognized as one of the loudest stadiums in the nfl, but since we now have a team to cheer for i bet we receive more recognition..

reliant stadium broke safety rules for noise levels in the playoff game against the bengals.

5. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

just practicing for New Orleans...:)

1 person likes this.
  6. Houst0ne

Houst0ne Member

And why shouldn't he have a say? If your not sitting in the shaded part of the stadium the sun will be beaming down on you all game...that's very draining...I don't understand why it's a problem it's not like your paying for the roof

7. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

As a TV viewer, I prefer roof closed. Sun creates horrible bright/dark areas that makes it tough to watch on TV.

That said if the 80-50 rule is met and it is a NIGHT game, I want it open.

#47 ipaman, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

public dollars bought the roof.

9. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Who. F***ing. Cares.

We're 9-1. And we're arguing over whether Kubiak should have a say on the roof. If we start losing again we can bring it back up.

Also, look up definition of sunk cost.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

7-3 with the roof open or 9-1 with it closed?

11. SuraGotMadHops

12. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Well then, it's settled. Gary Kubiak is a ****ing idiot.

13. G Zus Kryst

G Zus Kryst Rookie

it wuz open today

naw......jus nfl

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Public dollars pay for a lot of things that we don't get a say in how they're used. :)

15. conquistador#11

at least bud isn't the commissar, demanding the texans to open it when we play.

16. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

Kubiak has too much power. Where was that crowd noise when we got slaughtered by green bay?

also did anyone notice the crowd noise last game where shaub had to quiet the crowd. way to go kubes.

Also on 790 i heard a lady saying that it gets really hot in the upper sections with the roof open. but still no excuse for having it closed at night.

17. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I heard Charlie make that comment about the GB game but that's pretty silly since the GB game was a blow out and the crowd was out of it by the first quarter. Fact, the crowd can be a huge advantage and reliant especially since it can get so loud. Pointing to one blowout game doesn't change that fact.

I agree about the crowd noise when the texans are on offense. The "houston texans...First down!" should be cut out in a 2 minute drive situation.

As for the seating in open air, I've only been to 2 games with the roof open and although those games were not hot at all, they stadium does not have good airflow at all.

18. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i'm sure 3 pm starts are mostly for teams playing on the west coast. it has little to do with status.

19. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CROWD NOISE!!!!

[​IMG]

20. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

somewhat, but not necessarily. There are fewer 3pm games and typically they are teams that have pretty big draws