1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Chris Paul is not Steve Nash

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MC31B, May 12, 2019.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

You're reaching, though, based on your perception of what it takes to be a successful athlete.

But all athletes are different. Some continue to excel with higher percentages of muscle, and some even with higher percentages of body fat.

Even then, CP3 doesn't look much different than he always has, and Nash's appearance didn't change much (if at all) after he made his dietary changes.

Trying to visually identify otherwise fit-appearing athletes as having unhealthy diets by looking at them on your TV screen seems like nonsense to me.

And trying to convey importance to a total guess like "To me he looks like a guy who eats mostly healthy but doesn't say no to pizza and cake at kids birthday parties either" is just flat-out silly in my opinion.

#21 topfive, May 12, 2019
    Last edited: May 12, 2019
    Reeko, Patience and HP3 like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dude, Nash was Canadien and you know, well, different.

Chris Paul was pretty sturdy coming into the league. For that matter, Harden is also built like a tank.

4. MC31B

MC31B Member

That's fair. Yes their ppg and assist pg are similar. But Nash was healthy and Paul was not. The other main difference was that Nash shot 50% from the field most of his 30s and Paul shot 42% from the field this year. Watch games of Nash scoring, he didn't shoot tightly contested jumpers unless the shot clock was running out. And this never really happened with their offense anyways. Meanwhile Paul constantly takes his shots with defenders draped all over him because his isn't tall enough to justify his "shoulder bump and shoot over the top" move. He needs to be able to run to his spots and shoot but he is so slow that it doesn't work.

And I do agree that Nash had Amare to make him look good in the pick and roll. Maybe that is the real cause for Paul's shortcoming. But dropping some weight couldn't hurt him.

I just watched him play a lot when it was happening. They both shot that fall back midrange shot a lot. The difference is that nash would fake going to the basket then run to his spot to shoot it. Paul tries driving to the basket and when that doesn't work, he then has to shoot it over a defender. Last year that play was effective because teams thought he was a threat to drive to the basket. Now teams know to just give him a bump when he tries to drive, back off a half step, let him collect this shot, then make him have to shoot over a taller player, and Paul got blocked, a lot. There were many games I saw this happen in the regular season. Forget game 6. Everyone gets hot, the problem is that he isn't a consistent scoring threat anymore. Nash wasn't as slow as him at the same age until he was about 38.

And of course I don't have stats to show their respective 40 yard dash at comparable ages. However, paul and nash had very similar stats and production in their 20s. I'm saying the reason that one won the MVP and the other is looking like old man river at the same point in their careers is that they have very different body compositions.

HP3 likes this.
  5. HP3

HP3 Member

Hmm I agree with a lot of this, however at the end of the day we dont know what Paul nutrition or training regiment is like so its all speculation. I dont know if you could really compare the speed, its hard to say.

And to be fair to Paul, Nash hadnt played the same amount of season as Paul at age 33. Paul has played in this league a long time. Not to mention, Paul has had a lot injuries in his career, not to mention his speed was never the same agin after he suffered that knee injury when he was with the hornets.

MC31B and topfive like this.
  6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don't know about 20lbs but yes he is not in the best shape of his life, and there are several examples of star players who understood that being in elite shape in your mid 30's can extend your career. He should show up lighter next season, and lighter the following season. People will try to rationalize it but you would struggle to find examples of people who got in better shape then played worse.

Having said that, I brought this up mid season and coincidentally towards the end of the season Paul fired his trainer and made some comments about how he thought he had been going about his health/fitness wrong. He clearly showed up too heavy, and I think he had fallen into a circle of people who wanted to convince him that putting on mass is the right move. I think he understands this now, but it was too late in the season to make a dramatic change. I feel like he will show up to next season in excellent shape.

It's not necessarily a big reason we lost, but I believe it's a big reason he looked like he regressed a lot for most of this season.

MC31B likes this.
  7. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Capela is the true fat @$s, too much weight holding him down to rebound and win an opening tip-off......

HP3 likes this.
  8. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    Statistically, Chris Paul is the far superior player as compared to Steve Nash. He's a far better defender, has way more steals, and believe it or not, significantly more assists. Nash was a better shooter, particularly from the 3-point line. Nash, actually is one of the best shooters of all time, but isn't really remembered for that. What Nash brought to the table was ENERGY. He was an open court phenom, pushing the ball up the court and in general bringing a positive aura to the entire arena. Paul doesn't bring that same energy -- he spends a lot of time barking at the refs and can slow the game down as well.

I do think Chris Paul is an exceptional leader, but the offense that D'Antoni has designed isn't putting him in a leadership role. I think that's a tweak that needs to be made for the 2019-2020 season.

GOOD DAY

HP3 likes this.
  9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

They both won’t ever get a ring so they’re pretty similar if you ask me

10. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Why would you trust a fat **** with your diet plan?

11. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

That explains a lot...

12. HP3

HP3 Member

I’ve always thought Capela needed to bulk up, I never wanna see Klay of all people contest Clint’s dunk again.

13. MC31B

MC31B Member

Granted that is kind of funny. But excess carbs leading to increased bf percentages is not an opinion. And if you want to label the term slow as "different" then you have every right to do so.

I know that he looks about the same as he did when he was 25. But as he ages he needs to make changes to his training to stay productive. And like I said before. This wouldn't be a big deal if he wasn't getting paid 38 mil next year.

14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

you post like this even outside of the D&D, what is wrong with you

topfive likes this.
  15. CCorn

CCorn Member

Well, Paul isn’t African

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Ah... the annual "Rockets Star Is Out of Shape" offseason thread is coming early this year. :)

topfive likes this.
  17. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Which says a lot because Paul is still average for normal NBA standards even when he's struggling.

18. Caprah

Caprah Member

He is old with a ton of injuries. He might be 34 but in reality he has a body of a 40 year old. It’s batted and bruised

19. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

So...Give me some 40 year old guards who even started on a team..Let's not even begin to go into playing at Paul level. Just 40 year old starter guards.

20. MC31B

MC31B Member

I never have had a problem with harden's shape. I recall people complaining about it but he is tall enough and young enough that it makes sense.

Paul may be in good cardio shape but he has to haul around too much weight at this point. Sheesh why is it that so many people are against the idea of Paul doing more cycling, let weights and less starches? Does anyone think that would hurt his productivity?

#40 MC31B, May 12, 2019
    Last edited: May 12, 2019
    HP3 likes this.