1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Carmelo is ROY

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rocketman15, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Rocketman15

Rocketman15 Member

1. He is leading the Nuggets to the playoffs in the Western Confrence so far over Portland an G.S., where as Lebron is having an easer time in the East leading the Cavs in the Hunt.

2. Carmelo does have Camby and NENE but neither is laying as well as Boozer is as a second option.

3. Carmelo averages more Point per Minute then Lebron

After 65 Games
    4. Carmelo averages more rebounds then Lebron in 2.5 fewer minutes a game.

5. Carmelo is shooting .429 from the field compared to Lebron's .414

6. Carmelo Assist to turnover ratio is .97 Lebron's is 1.63

Although Lebron may be getting more hype and may be the Future of the NBA Carmelo Anthony is the Rookie of the Year

2. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Carmelo could win the ROY in an unanimous vote and I wouldn't complain.

I'd complain about my spelling at this hour, but that's about it.

That doesn't get in the way of the fact that LeBron is and will develop into 19-times the player Carmelo is.

3. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Honestly ROY is a toss up to me right now. If the Cavs make it and the Nugs don't it would be hard not to give ROY to Lebron.

I don't agree here. #1 Their ages are pretty close, #2 Both seem to have some advantages in natural basketball ability. Lebron has an athletic edge but Carmello is no slouch, but Carmello appears to have the edge in shooting/scoring insticts.

If I were betting or drafting, yeah I'd take Lebron, but on basketball potential the difference isn't as great as people make it out IMO.

Look at it this way, Scottie Pippen and Grant Hill were the far better athletes but were not the basketball player Larry Bird was--the same kind of thing could happen with these two.

4. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

The ultimate measure of a player is his impact on the win loss record and how many championships he leads his team to. Carmelo and Lebron are this year's version of Magic and Bird. Carmelo is the Larry Bird of this year, not as physically gifted as Lebron but a smart, creative, confident, budding superstar who makes his team play so much better. Lebron is also smart, creative, confident, and a budding superstar but he has physical tools that Carmelo doesn't have kinda like what Magic had on Bird. They're both winners. However, I would either give Anthony the ROY or at the very least split the award between them. If Lebron wins the ROY over Anthony, it will be a horrible injustice. Anthony, plain and simple is a winner.

The one thing that I noticed about this season........Denver did not have to trade half their roster to make room for Anthony. Anthony came in, fit in, and made his current teammates better. Cleveland moved half it's roster to make space for Lebron. The team wasn't working too well until they deferred and traded away the other superstar talent so that it could be Lebron's team.

I would give my eyeteeth to see Carmelo and Yao play together. With their passing and shooting skills.............we could only dream of how many championships.

5. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

Its going to be very difficult to tell who is the ROY if both the Cav's and Nuggets make it to the playoffs. I think that Lebron's performance has been greater than Anthony's, but making the western cofference playoffs is more significant, so i would have to go with Anthony at this point.

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't understand the assist to turnover line...wouldn't that be a reason for Lebron to be named ROY?

7. Yao Wink

Yao Wink Member

Most likely scenario: Co-Rookies of the Year

The Cavs did have to trade away their other "super-star" player to make the team better, but does Ricky Davis qualify as a superstar. The Cavs made a trade to get players that would fit in better for what they were trying to do, which was to build around LeBron and the Big Z.

The Nuggets' need was for a scorer. And playing the open court, fast break offense fit Carmelo Anthony's game perfectly. Imagining LeBron on the Nuggets team, I think he would do just as good as a job as Anthony has in the role of primary scorer.

I see it as a tie for the ROY, but I also see LeBron as more of a complete player than Carmelo. Since LeBron can do more on the court than Carmelo, I would say James is a better player also.

8. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I don't really care about either player but I think Anthony atleast physically has an edge over Lebron. Anthony's not fully phsyically developed yet (Whereas I just don't see how Lebron can work anymore on his body. He's a beast,) and is still a bit skinny on the arms and body in general. Once he hits a hard weight training program and gets his body in better shape he'll be able to bully people around in the low post even better than he has already. He already knows how to use his body. Get him to put on a good 10-15 lbs of muscle in the offseason and he'll be a long athletic beast that you can go to in a post up situation, can run the break, and knock down the perimeter bucket. Admittedly I don't watch T-Mac much but he doesn't strike me as a guy that uses his height to his advantage enough in a postup situation. Melo from the limited games I've seen him actually likes to bang around in the low post and that's to his advantage already at such a young age..

9. Kilgore Trout

10. Kilgore Trout

Somehow i messed up the quote thing but that was suppoed to meanL

Good call, I forgot what happened with Hill and Kidd. I really think you are right the the co-ROY this year.

11. Asian Sensation

The Nuggets are a deep team with many good roll players and a rightful star in Andre Miller backed by a great organization on the rise. The Cavs are a young team with Lebron leading the way with help from J-Mac, Boozer and big Z. Both teams have made vast improvements which can be credited to BOTH Lebron and Carmelo, it would be a tragedy if one were to win the award by himself. They are just such a joy to watch with Carmelo's smoothness and natural skill for the game with Lebron's pure talent and physical ability, I root for both of them to be succesful in this league.

12. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

Francis and Brand too

13. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I'm going with co-Roy.

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

I'm not sure what's why people are so sure in their "projections" of Lebron and Melo's futures.

First, Lebron. Yes, I know Kobe and T-Mac both score something like 8-9 pts in their first season, and blossomed into superstars now. However, this hardly means that Lebron's going to be a 40 pts scorer simply by the "they all came out of high school" line of thinking. Lebron's ahead of Kobe/T-Mac in their first seasons in terms of ability to play the NBA game. He's also getting MUCH MORE opportunity, while his predessors were assimilated more more slowly. For this reason, Lebron's much closer to his peak than Kobe/T-Mac, which most people don't seem to realize. Basically, Lebron needs to work on his shot and decision making. If he can do that, he'll put up numbers like Kobe/T-Mac/Iverson. Otherwise, I see him more like a Steve Francis. The shooting is especially troubling. Not everyone manages to develop a shot. Not saying LJ won't, but that it's hardly a slam dunk.

While I think Melo has less peak potential than Lebron(especially due to his lack of passing skills), he's definitely the surer bet. The guy looks very solid on the court and doesn't tend to screw up much, at least based on the few games I see. He was is a better shooter. When you can shoot well, you can stay in this league very easily.

If I were to ask who's more likely to be a superstar, I'd pick Lebron. If I were asked who's more likely to be at least a solid player, then it's Melo.

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

meh i would say there about as close to superstars already. to be playing as well as they are at a such a young age is why i say that.

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

Steve Francis and Elton Brand put up similar numbers in their rookie years. Actually, SF's rookie stats and LJ's stats are amazingly similar. Look at Francis and Brand now. Neither are putting up mind-boggling stats that you'd expect from a superstar.

And if you look at other past high-performing rookies and their progression, it's similar. Most do not keep improving dramatically. Jason Kidd did become a superstar. But Vince Carter never did it. Grant Hill never did it. Iverson looks like a superstar but really isn't. Marbury never did anything. The list goes on and on and on.

Again, I'm not saying that LJ and Melo aren't going to get better, but I'll have to see it first to believe it. Because I've seen WAY TOO MANY past "Next Jordan" who never come close to living up to the billing.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I'm partial to Melo
    but
    afraid he may thank himself a again :rolleyes:

In this whole Cavs to the playoffs things
    The guy gets the shaft is . .. PAUL SILAS
    I think he is doing a great job

The coaches of both these teams are not getting
    hardly any credit

Rocket River

18. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

They're both freaks and they both deserve the award. Co-ROY is definitely appropriate here.

19. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

My vote (if I had one) would goto lebron.

1. The nuggets have more talent than Cleveland
    2. LeBron prolly has twice the pressure on his shoulders just due to all the hype.

Don't get me wrong I think Melo is a fantastic player, but I think as long as Cleveland makes teh playoffs it goes to LeBron.

20. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I'd go with Anthony as well, but I bet you a ca-zillion dollars we have another co-rookie of the year BS award.

If not, and it's still close, it will probably go to James since he's the media and hype juggernaut right now.