1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why can't Harden D up like that every game?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, May 23, 2018.

1. farhen

farhen Member

that's why we got the other guys for that part

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I’m ok with a star player conserving energy. The Rockets are good enough to where they don’t need hm to play all out in defense the vast majority of times. But in certain big games, against certain players, he needs to step up. The team as a whole did a superb job in the 4th, and Harden made a some big defensive plays throughout the game and kept himself from being exploited in the 4th. So credit to him.

Deuce and BigMaloe like this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Tell that to Michael Jordan or Hakeem.

DD

hakeem94 and Untraceable like this.
  4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Ha, ok I tried to tell Michael Jordan but he was busy getting torched by LaBradford Smith in between golf and craps games in AC

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Kobe is overrated and the most complete player on both sides was Dream

BigMaloe and hakeem94 like this.
  6. Vivi

Vivi Member

This is true but we got Paul to help him in this kind of situation, and we're in the conference finals, this is where he (but everyone) has to give everything.

This is also true, but i'm not sure it's all on him being tired, he wasn't exactly great in the first quarter too, same in game 3 where he played basically zero defense, i mean, you might be right don't get me wrong, it makes sense to think that since in the second quarter i do think he gave everything, we went back in the game just because of James honestly...but maybe there are other factors to consider.

7. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

We need the reserves to step up big in Game 5. Gerald Green needs to come out swinging and provide a big energy boost on both ends of the floor. Needs to somehow stay under control though. We will need him in Game 5 to spell Harden and Paul a little more than they did in Game 4. I wish Mbah a Moute was alright. Could use about 15 minutes of his hustle and defense. It's a shame he can't finish very well right now.

Should we look in Ryan Anderson's direction in this series? Capela was really struggling last night and can't get an offensive rebound to save his life (though I guess he did have 1 or 2 and batted a couple). I do wonder if Anderson can help with spacing for about 10 minutes a game. The problem is he is terrible at home so that won't help.

BigMaloe likes this.
  8. AkeemTheDreem86

This is what it takes to win a championship. When the reporter asked James about his 2pt 4th quarter, he replied, "Who cares? We won."

He's right. The only point total any of us should care about is the one between teams after the buzzer sounds.

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Kobe LOL. he never played consistent defense, they tried to hide him everywhere.

Kobe likes to show the media he plays great defense where he gets angry and d's up for like 2 possessions, and then goes hiding again.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

He's not like LeBron in that LeBron is a once in a lifetime machine. Harden is not, but he is a great basketball playing human.

Agree with the premise of the thread. He can't play great D and great O every game; it's just not something he can do.

He's doing all he can. The idea that he works hard enough to get this far and then decides to play lazy just cuz is stunningly stupid.

justtxyank likes this.
  11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No excuses, and this thread is bullshit and full of bullshit excuses.

Harden is great, no one expects him to be MJ on D too, but it is the lack of trying sometimes that is infuriating, when we know he CAN play D. Look at the 4th quarter last night - the dude was part of a team that LOCKED em down to 12 points.

Sam, you are better than this - you know Harden can play better D, you don't have to make **** up to try to protect him....

He was pretty danged good on D all year.....

DD

PS. Points for LaBradford Smith though, got a chuckle out of that.

#31 DaDakota, May 23, 2018
    Last edited: May 23, 2018
    Jake Tower likes this.
  12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Ryan Anderson is too hesitant now a days, same for Luc. You can't have players out there not giving 100% against the Warriors, not even for 1 possession. You look at Tucker and Ariza on defense, they are throwing their bodies at every loose ball and rebound, they are extremely physical when Warriors tries to cut. Unless Ryan can turn it up to that level, he can't touch the floor.

I know Ryan can hustle like everyone else, but like Luc, he's out of rhythm since he's injury, can't risk loose possessions.

13. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Harden must know that to get to the Finals, the team needs everything he has got on both ends of the ball. He cannot take plays off until the game is no longer in doubt.

14. SamFisher

No it's reflective of the very real trade-off that occurs with a system that has access to only finite resources over time.

You're the one who's full of **** if you don't think that this trade-off/scarcity exists, or that others somehow exempted themselves from it.

15. Asian Sensation

9x NBA All-Defensive First Team

3x NBA All-Defensive Second Team

I know people like to hate on Kobe but you don’t achieve that simply by accident.

He was absolutely a dominant shut down peremiter defender for many years especially in the early stages of his career. I’ll agree he was chosen on some of those based off of reputation but guess how you build a reputation? I can tell you it’s not by making angry faces, defending for like 2 possessions and then go into hiding like you claim.

Let’s flip script here Chris Paul.

7x NBA All-Defensive First Team

2x NBA All-Defensive Second Team

Can you honestly say with a straight face that he deserved every single one of those selections and didn’t make some based off the reputation he built? I love me some CP3 but let’s be real... he hasn’t been a shutdown/dominant defensive guard for a while.

16. SamFisher

He just needs to learn "the art of resting while playing" accoridng to world-wide-windhorst

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ys-rests-keep-cleveland-cavaliers-hopes-alive

17. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

Why can’t James Harden do James Harden’s and Luc Mbah a Moute’s jobs every game?

18. HP3

HP3 Member

Uhh is that really fair, I've heard Harden is in the gym alot..and he may not have the diligent conditioning of Lebron but who really does?

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Hell I could do Luc (and Ryan's) current job. I am elite at sitting the bench and waving a towel.

20. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

People just have to accept that Harden isn't a lock down defender and the load he carries on offense takes a toll. He's not the greatest of all time or anything.

This is why we got CP3, to help him out on the offensive end so he can have more energy throughout the game. As a result, he is generally better defensively and fresher at the end of games.