1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why can't doctors sell drugs?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Tree-Mac, Nov 7, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Tree-Mac

Tree-Mac Contributing Member

If a doctor can prescribe drugs, why can't he just sell you the drugs so you don't have to go to a pharmacy? I think it's so inconvenient to have to go to a pharmacy to buy drugs after I get out of the doctor's office.

2. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Look up Stark Law. Despite these laws some physicians have their own pharmacies on site depending on when they started their practice and pharmacy.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

They don't make drugs

4. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

There is a law written after Tony Stark? Whuuuuuut!

Seriously though, I live in Kenya and the chemist I go to; the man who owns it was a Doctor in India. Most simple ailments I go straight to him and he diagnoses me over the counter and sells me prescription drugs for super cheap.

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Conflict of interest between maximizing revenue and not giving you expensive **** that will kill you.

6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Not only conflicts... But also sometimes Dr's are so busy with patients they don't know all of the drug conflicts (when using multiple meds) or complete mechanisms of drug (obviously there's apps/db's that help) but I'd definitely take a pharmacists word over recommended medicine of what interacts with each other over an MD. I'm not saying Dr's are bad since they prescribe the meds, but there's a reason pharmacists are important in a medical setting, especially in hospitals. I mean even at store owned pharmacies they sometimes help customers avoid bad interactions. This is from my experience anyway.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Pharmacies now have those clinics in them that they will diagnose and prescribe right then and there (though for minor problems only).

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

In developing countries, from personal experience, the doctors gain profit from the drugs they prescribe. They usually give you really expensive drugs with high dosage when a simple aspirin can do (for example). Much better in the States though.

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

In the US the drugs companies just bribe the doctors to prescribe really expensive drugs with high dosage when simpler drugs could do.

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

wwuuuuuuttt...? I had positive experience when I went to the doctor in Houston. Do they give certain % of profit or lump sum?

11. CometsWin

I don't know that it's straight cash, more like gifts, trips, dinners, etc.

12. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

[​IMG]

13. Buck Turgidson

Everyone I know goes to Tex/Mex border town for their dental work and prescription drugs.

14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Is there money in pharmaceuticals?

15. CometsWin

Yeah, since I know sales guys that do it.

[​IMG]

16. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

[​IMG]

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

18. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Every strategic sourcing or B-2-B/wholesale relationship is like this. Every industry conference or convention is sponsored and subsidized by one company trying to butter up their clients and provide them networking opportunities with other industry counterparts.

19. Buck Turgidson

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/s1LUXQWzCno" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Yeah people get offended by this in healthcare but its no different than any other industry.

If anything the movement towards limiting doctor kickbacks created the era of direct consumer marketing for drugs, which I think is even more ridiculous. We now get inundated with commercials that spend 10 seconds saying "but do not take this if you have XYZ conditions..... please note this can cause XYZ up to and including death" as if the person is qualified to make those judgements.

EDIT* to answer the OP: doctors in whats referred to the golden era (80's-early 90's) probably abused the crap out of the system and sold an excess of drugs they didn't need to prescribe.