1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Bush won't join Obama at Ground Zero

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by adoo, May 5, 2011.

1. adoo

adoo Member

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/

.... President Obama will travel to Lower Manhattan today, visiting Ground Zero and meeting with families of the victims of the Sept. 11 attacks. He invited former President George W. Bush to join him, but the Republican declined, preferring, his spokesperson said, to "remain largely out of the spotlight."

That's certainly his prerogative, but it has sparked some speculation about why the former president would turn down the opportunity, with even some Bush supporters questioning the move. The New York Daily News reports today that Bush apparently declined in part because Obama hurt his feelings.

George W. Bush won't be at Ground Zero with President Obama Thursday in part because he feels his team is getting short shrift in the decade-long manhunt for Osama Bin Laden.

"[Bush] viewed this as an Obama victory lap," a highly-placed source told the Daily News Wednesday.

Bush's visit to the rubble after the 9/11 attacks was the emotional high point of his presidency, but associates say the invitation to return with his successor was a non-starter. "He doesn't feel personally snubbed and appreciates the invitation, but Obama's claiming all the credit and a lot of other people deserve some of it," the source added.

"Obama gave no credit whatsoever to the intelligence infrastructure the Bush administration set up that is being hailed from the left and right as setting in motion the operation that got Bin Laden. It rubbed Bush the wrong way."

Did Obama claim all the credit ?

Obama very specifically heralded "the tireless and heroic work of our military and our counterterrorism professionals" that has taken place "over the last 10 years."

Is Bush really this immature? Even after the killing of Osama bin Laden?

Not even sure what the former president and his allies expect Obama to say, exactly. Bush said he
    • didn't care about catching bin Laden,
    • disbanded the CIA team tasked with hunting bin Laden,
    • deemphasized bin Laden's importance in counter-terrorism, and
    • screwed up the mission at Tora Bora.
    What's Obama's message supposed to be,
    • "Thanks for getting out of the way and letting me get the job done"?
    —Steve Benen

2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

He may just not want to deal with the press, which is fine. Or he might actually plan on going in September. But if not, that's fine too. People are allowed to be tired of things.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Sounds like bush's associates put in their two cents after explaining why he didnt attend and people are assuming that was a bush quote...

I dont think there's much to debate here anyway.

4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I wouldn't accept an invitation from Obama. He's immature. Obama will try to scold Bush like he did Paul Ryan. Bush is right to ignore him.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Don't care. Move on.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

What a joke. If things were reversed, you'd say Obama was immature for not accepting the invitation. To actually believe that Obama would use such an occasion to scold Bush is beyond loopy. Hyper-partisan crackheads like you need to stop taking whatever keeps you high.

It's really too bad Bush won't be there. I respect his decision but it was the wrong one IMO.

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

wow. nice facts you have there.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/08/washington/08intel.html?pagewanted=print

You realize Clinton also turned down an invite right?

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Obama's attempt to claim credit has been extremely transparent. Too much so...

9. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

If you have resort to putting words in my mouth then why bother posting. It's such a weak argument.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

So I'm wrong?

11. Bandwagoner

What has anyone said about clinton not going? nothing. This is Obama's publicity.

12. langal

langal Contributing Member

some of you remind me of a bunch of catty chicks gossiping. but i suppose that's what politics is.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

fmullegun, I know you're angry and have a burning desire to look awesome, but are you seriously arguing that the government didn't shutter the CIA's bin Laden team (Alec Station) in 2005?

Yes or no? Choose wisely.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Who really gives a flip about Clinton? Bush was president when 9/11 happened, not Clinton. Both Bush and Obama should have been there together IMO.

I don't think Clinton should have been there without Bush anyway. Yes, he also pursued OBL but this was meant to be a Bush/Obama moment. Probably all three will come together in September.

15. Bandwagoner

Lol you trying to get me on facts after acting like a total ass based on one article you read?

OK, I guess I had this coming. I am sorry I was truly curious about the steps that led to the killing of Osama and read all the articles I could.

16. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Cheney wouldn't let him.

1 person likes this.
  17. Treeza

Treeza Member

I think this may be too read into. Nothing to see here, folks.

18. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

George Bush doesn't care about black people.

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I guess I don't really understand why Obama gets so much credit. But I don't really care who gets credit, it may be for the best for Bush to stay out of the spotlight.

20. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

yeah you are right the credit should go to adam and eve.. after all they gave birth to kane and abel, and so on that led to bush making the decision to get bin laden..I mean the connection is obvious!!

sure bush sidetracked a trillion dollars or so to iraq ,and well using the blood of 9/11, that's just the cost of getting the 'tear rists' ..even if they are really a sovereign nation that has nothing to do with 9/11. who cares 'we'll just say anything'

Well what does it matter as long as it leads to more cash for halliburton, and big oil... Now we all know what bush meant when he said

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED