1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why aren't the rookies playing?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meekg, Nov 3, 2012.

1. jbasket

jbasket Member

You have no evidence of that. Because he had decent defence in SL and preseason? Or college? He has the potential to be a plus defender; he is not now. And I am a big Jones fan.

2. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

The coaching staff has 100 years + NBA experience. Finch and Bickerstaff are the cream of the assistant coaches in the NBA. They watch the practices and they know how every player stacks up against the starters. The calculation is simple from there. They will play when the staff thinks they are ready.

Oh, by "you" you mean you. You are a fan and therefore you will know when the coaching staff says they are ready. Sorry, you are no different than the rest of us.

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

He doesn't have to be a plus defender to be better than Morris who is too small to constantly defend fours.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Got anything to back that up with? Any stats or hours of video evidence?

Morris has played very well, and is currently assuming the role of 6th man scoring option off the bench pretty well. I have to say too, based on my viewing pleasure, I have to say that Marcus has been suprising good on defense and on the glass especially despite being slightly undersized.

I get that people want to see the rookies that aren't playing just like they wanted to see Terrence Williams last season. Just realize this- The Rockets have two years more than Morris to evaluate him to guage his future in the NBA.

I believe its worth sitting the Rooks for a few months so they can say at the end of the day they are making the best decision possible beyond the shadow of a doubt if they decide to move him in a trade. I think thats only fair, and it makes sense to evaluate EVERYBODY to judge accurately.

So just sit tight and evaluate Morris & Patterson for the time being because it might this might be the only half season we have to watch them in a Rockets uniform. If for some reason they stick then that means they are the real deal and they both took a huge step forward in their careers.

5. James Harden

James Harden Member

Kevin MsFale needs to play Terrence Jones and Royce White

TJ was great in the preseason. MsHale is ruining their potential. Seriosuly. I really want to see what Royce and Terrence can do. Who knows? They might take some pressure out of Lin and Harden

6. roxxy

roxxy Member

You mean Lin & yourself. Corny jokes I know but I couldn't help myself.

7. Lucky Charm

Lucky Charm Member

Finally an original thread! You should make more!
    [​IMG]

8. Lucky Charm

Lucky Charm Member

Aw man, my sarcastic gif didn't post :(

9. allaroundplayer

Please watch this video and then tell me if you still think D-Mo is the 6th best scorer on the team:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5Tblw5WggQ

10. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Because we are effectively playing two guys that are rookies (Marcus Morris and Greg Smith/Cole Aldrich), Douglas plays like a rookie (but unfortunately he is our only back-up PG option), and playing 2 guys that haven't played much starter minutes (2Pat and Omer ... we'll give Harden the benefit of the doubt here ;)), and a starting PG with 25 starts prior to this year. The only guy that has consistently started since entering the league is Chandler Parsons, and that was a lock-out shortened year, and his first year.

Because we have Harden now, and don't have much assets for trades, it would be better off winning and trying to attract a star in free agency, and playing another 2 rookies (as much as we'd love to see Jones and DMo get some run) on top of our rookie+sophomore line-up isn't conducive to winning.

Also, it would be better to give a guy 10-15min to work in his confidence and feel for the game, not 3-5min. I suspect once Morris gets really comfortable and consistent, Jones will start to get some minutes, and then after that DMo.

When does the DLeague start?

11. kinein

kinein Member

Hahahaha Roxxy that was almost as good as this one.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/46gD4HDB2Zk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. kinein

kinein Member

November 23.

13. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

Terrance Jones is NBA ready....

14. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I think this comes down to what we perceive to be the best method for player development. I think it's best for our more talented young players (D-Mo, Jones, White) to learn by doing. If they get their ass handed to them a couple of times in front of a large audience, then so be it. Those are great learning experiences that they can't get in practice. Every great player, when they first came into the league, got their ass handed to them, and those moments served as great experiences going forward in their career. It would also increase their development at a much faster rate, then just having them practice against the same players over and over again.

He was just joking.

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

Either of you want to make a tip jar bet on Terrance Jones vs Marcus Morris? I'll say Jones' first 3 games will not match up with Morris' last 3 games. Something simple, say, Points+Rebounds+Assists+blocks-TOs.

16. allaroundplayer

He was just joking.[/QUOTE]

Right, but just about Asik.

Please watch this video and then tell me if you still think D-Mo is the 5th best scorer on the team:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5Tblw5WggQ

fixed.

17. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

They should only let T-Jones in. Period.

18. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Royce was sloppy during the Preseason Games.

Why would you want him to start?

He has great upside, but now is not the time to play him.

I'm one of those who wanted Jones to play before Morris.

Until Morris started showing us why we drafted him two years ago.

We already labeled Morris as a bust before the season even starts.

Then criticized him even more after his sloppy first game as a starter.

But now who is criticizing him?

Everyone is actually surprise on how talented he is.

Which means, we don't know anything about these guys.

So shut your pie hole!

Jk.

19. lookabove

lookabove Contributing Member

20. lookabove

lookabove Contributing Member

Consider Rocket have 4 rookies - I wondering if GM and Coach are eye to eye on this.