1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why are we not talking about the whale's vag--a in the room?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

Maybe if those potential franchise QBs were Luck and RG3. Goff and Lynch aren't even Winston and Mariota. Much further from when Rivers and Eli came out. The chargers are a better suitor for that crazy Clowney to move up trade that is being discussed on message boards and social media.

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Well, not $21M because of how the Salary Cap has grown. But Favre had the 3rd highest cap figure in 2005 when Rodgers was drafted. He accounted for 11.8% of the cap. Rivers' $21M would be 13% of an estimated $154M cap in 2016. It's not all that different.

And he wouldn't just be a "mentor". He'd be the starting QB.

You mean they could play $21M to HAVE Philip Rivers or $18M to NOT HAVE Philip Rivers? WOW! What a deal!

:rolleyes:

Paying a bunch of money for a good QB is reasonable. Paying a bunch of money to get rid of a good QB is ****ing stupid.

3. underrated015

underrated015 Member

If they give us rivers, lol they must not know what they are doing. Worth trying though.

4. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Well he does have a case of bolo tie fever so maybe the Chargers think it's a good time to part ways. That ****s terminal.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

On the other hand, I look at a high pick and think "OK great, if a transcendent QB is there, I can get him, otherwise, meh." I don't think anyone is look at the 2016 QB crop and wetting themselves. Also, I don't think San Diego is excited at the money savings as much as they are dreading entering the NFL wasteland that is the search for a franchise QB. It would be pretty stupid to jump feet first into that search when they have one on the hook for a reasonable price right now. It's not like a new set of talented QBs won't be coming along in the next 3 years (the length of his current deal).

I get where you're coming from, but I think there's almost no chance San Diego would even entertain the idea.

6. conquistador#11

maybe because she isn't dating anyone on the texans!

With how the Arena league is set, rivers arm won't completely die until he is 41, so that's 7 full seasons. So I doubt SD would let him go. He's also reached the playoffs once since LT left, that's once in six seasons. what the hell is san diego doing? give this elite baby maker a running game to protect him.

7. mick fry

mick fry Member

Rather have Stafford. Git R Done Rick you brown nosing F'er you.

8. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Let's assume they draft a QB at #3 for the sake of this discussion.

In a static year, I would expect them to stay with Rivers for a year. Try to win now with the pieces in place while grooming the rookie for the future. It's the NFL--things can change season to season so quickly.

However, if they do move cities, I could see them say there's an opportunity to "lose for free"...i.e. the fans will still come, so go with the rookie now and start building.

And if he is potentially available...wow would it be an amazing opportunity for the Texans.

9. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Texans do have a slightly better overall team, but it has to be asked - what did Rivers do for SD?
    Yes, Rivers would be a huge upgrade over anything Texans have on their roster right now.

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Fair point - but not exactly apples-to-apples. Rodgers was a late first round pick; Brees was a second round pick. So there was far less money invested in both of those duos.

Based on last year's #3 overall pick (D. Fowler), the new QB would cost SD ~$4.2MM this year - that's more than $25MM tied up in your QBs. Next year, it's nearly $24MM. And so on.

It looks like SD has cap space; so they could obviously make it work. But should they?...

That's just a single component of this; it's a $3MM savings in '16 and they get out from under $58.5MM between '17-19. Potentially of more importance, they would receive additional assets from the Texans - that's key. If the Texans were to offer... #22; maybe #86 and a well-regarded player...

The question SD has to ask itself is do they want to pay Philips Rivers nearly $80MM to deteriorate? As good as he still is, his best days are behind him and it's not like he's going to get better. And SD - even with Rivers - has been a remarkably mediocre franchise.

If this were baseball, trading an asset similar to Philip Rivers would be a no-brainer; everyone would see it as a way to accelerate the inevitable.

#50 Hey Now!, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  11. Hey Now!

Yeah, but that search is coming, regardless. They're in the fortunate - and rather unexpected position of being able to possibly address it years ahead of schedule. And with Rivers, they could leverage him to jump start other areas of need.

The Chargers are a wildly mediocre team; Rivers doesn't move that needle. He's going to need more/better parts. The Texans - or another team - could offer quite a few of those in one year - and you retain the opportunity to pick your next franchise QB.

It's just a unique circumstance I doubt SD expected to find themselves. I think they'd be fools to pass on a QB (assuming they deem any of them worthy of taking River's torch). I think the same of Dallas, btw - when are they ever going to pick top 5 again?

12. Hey Now!

This is just silly. Since being named starter 10 seasons ago, the Chargers have been to the playoffs five times, and last year was just their second losing season. In the 10 seasons prior, they made one playoff appearance and posted five losing seasons.

I'm loathe to give too much credit to any one individual on a team - but Rivers has been a very good QB for a very long time on a team that has been, overall, very successful and competitive.

If the Texans were to get him, they'd be instant AFC South favorites. He is a very good QB joining a team that has won 18 games the past two years with mostly incompetent QBs.

If fans griped and complained about the team landing Rivers... I mean...... It would be a tremendous coup.

13. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I'm surprised this Cluchfans meme hasn't been applied to this thread yet.

Look, it's simple. Chargers could draft a QB (though they might not), but there's no way of knowing if that QB is going to pan out or not. Most teams that draft a QB high are ones with immediate needs. And then those QBs are forced to play right away even if that's not really the best path for their development. IF SD did draft a QB, they actually have the luxury of 1) letting the rookie develop for a year or two without the pressure of being expected to start too soon, and 2) seeing whether the rookie actually has "it" or not once they get him into the system and they see him everyday.

It makes no sense for them to give away a known commodity for an "inknown" one. Not for a $3M saving. If they waited 2 years, they'd 1) still have the services of a top QB for a couple more seasons, 2) have time to develop their next QB without throwing him into the fire, and 3) save $10M when they do move on from Rivers.

Worst case scenario is that the rookie doesn't live up to expectations once they get him into the system. But they maintain high QB play because Rivers is still there and starting and they get another crack at finding a QB when Rivers does retire.

Worst case scenario if they get rid of Rivers immediately is that the rookie doesn't pan our and it turns out that SD voluntarily threw themselves into the QB abyss AND paid $18M for the privilege of replacing a good QB with a scrub.

14. Hey Now!

While it doesn't otherwise invalidate your point (which I don't necessarily disagree with) - you've twice now reduced this to just a mere money-saver and it's considerably more than that. It's a chance to save money, short- and long-term, yes, as well as land potentially 2 or 3 assets that could address additional needs. And it wouldn't jeopardize your ability to land a potential free agent QB.

Also, it should be noted that - per many reports - the Chargers and Titans were supposedly working on a Rivers-for-Mariotta deal last year. I don't follow college football, and don't pretend to know anything about the draft - but I can't imagine Mariotta was an appreciably better prospect than this year's top prospects.

So it's not a totally crazy idea. I know Rivers since signed the extension... but the Chargers also lost 12 games since last year's draft.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I think the Rivers-for-Mariotta speculation was mostly fueled by the fact that Whisenhunt was the coach at the time. Whizzy and Rivers were a match made in heaven, and now he's back in SD. So, there's that.

16. Nook

Nook Member

I am sure the coach and GM will be all in for losing a borderline hall of fame QB.

17. Hey Now!

Yeah; that's truly unfathomable.
    [​IMG]

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

As far as prospects go:
    Andrew Luck > Jared Goff
    Andrew Luck > Paxton Lynch
    Andrew Luck > Carsen Wentz

19. Hey Now!

Fair enough. As far as Hall of Fame QBs go:
    Peyton Manning > Phillips Rivers

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

A healthy Philip Rivers age 34 > Peyton Manning (with the unknown of coming off neck surgery and a year off football) age 37

but not by much.