1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why are there no videos of Russell Westbrook's stat padding?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ShutURBiG!, Mar 19, 2017.

1. BackdoorHarden

Anyone just see that WB play where he chased "WHO HE CURRY" for 2 seconds, gave up, and Curry ran from the 3 points baseline from one side to the other side and WB just stood on the other side while Gibson had to try to cover Curry?

ROFL.

Why isn't anymore making a video of WB's lazy defense like Harden's lazy D last year? This came when score was 48 to 33 or so.

I listened to all the Sports talk(national) and they all said WB is MVP no matter what happens. CRAZY

Stormy1234, mario_v and Pen15clubber like this.
  2. BackdoorHarden

I guess WB isn't that dumb. Can't beat "WHO HE" so he tries to get "WHO HE" kicked out.

WB is smart

MVP MVP MVP

3. Lightsnowaction

Because he's not like Ricky Davis, Andray Blatche, or Javale Mcgee's triple double attempts.

4. BigTex

BigTex Member

Here's a decent vid from playoffs. Not a compilation though

5. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Westbrook has a tiny brain

Stormy1234 and mario_v like this.
  6. luhbron

luhbron Member

We need a video idea that'll take down Kawhi, not RWB

7. BackdoorHarden

Too bad you can't find any.

Real MVP voting should go:

1.) Harden
    2.) Kawhi
    3.) LBJ

WB ain't getting top 3 votes

Stormy1234 and Pen15clubber like this.
  8. split41

split41 Member

Uh, Adams is top 10 in deferred rebound chances, a Houston player doesn't break the top 50!

And WB is #1 in uncontested rebounds in the league above a bunch of big that make up the top 10 (the only guard in the top 10)...so no Harden is not #2. Harden is 14th.

I see that you are the only one with the thick skull around here, obviously can't comprehend basic numbers and stats. I gave you links, because, unlike you, I provide evidence when I'm making claims.

Richie_Rich and Pen15clubber like this.
  9. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I get that LeBron's putting up huge numbers, but he's on a team with 6 current or former all-stars in its rotation, the highest payroll in the NBA by a mile, and they only have the 4th best record in the league. He won way more games with way less talent on the '08-10 Cavs.

If the Cavs lose the #1 seed, no way does he deserve MVP consideration.

10. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

So only Houston is inflated?

11. ShutURBiG!

ShutURBiG! Contributing Member

12. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

[​IMG]

BigMaloe likes this.
  13. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

I tried to start it at a good time, it shows that OKC game plan is to help Russ get triple dubs lol.

14. omgTHEpotential

No, not only Houston. Look, I'm not trying to bash Harden here. Westbrook's stats are inflated too. I was just making a remark that we probably shouldn't bash Westbrook for padding his stats, because Harden is doing a similar thing. It's just that Harden's stats are inflated by the MDA system, while Westbrook's are inflated by the astronomical usage (41.9% compared to Harden's 34.4%).

15. ShutURBiG!

Stat-inflation ≠ Stat-padding

There's a difference between stats increasing as a result of the system you're playing in (stat-inflation) compared to intentionally changing the way things are done for the sole purpose of increasing stats (stat-padding).

What logical reason is there for Adams and Kanter to move out the way and allow Westbrook to get the rebound when Westbrook could just box-out the free throw shooter and have the closest big man get the rebound and pass him the ball?

It's impressive that Westbrook is the current scoring leader, but he also currently has the highest usage rate (as you mentioned) and has more FG attempts than Harden (Harden has more 3P attempts--a result of the system).

I believe Westbrook's rebounds are inflated (obviously), and to a lesser extent his scoring (yet still impressive).

His assists don't get enough credit, though. That requires players making shots within a certain time frame, or setting them up in an optimal position to make a shot. Even though his usage rate is the highest in the league, you can't make the argument that somebody who has the ball in his hands more will automatically generate more assists. The only logical argument I can think of in this case is that he's getting the assists his teammates would have if the ball moved around more.

#55 ShutURBiG!, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    Easy, vator, BigMaloe and 1 other person like this.
  16. ShutURBiG!

In other words...

Harden is letting the stats come to him as a result of following the game plan to get the team involved and win. No triple-double or 25+ point scoring game? No problem because the rest of the team was likely involved and he did his job of putting the team in the best position to win. If he needs to have a crazy individual performance to carry the team to a win, he will (as we have witnessed recently).

To be fair, I haven't watched very many Thunder games, but the game plan seems to be to put Westbrook in the best position to accumulate as many points, rebounds, and assists as possible with overall team involvement as a lower priority... or at least it comes off that way. Whether this is intentional or just a result of Westbrook's involvement putting them in the best position to win is not something I have a definite or educated answer to.

Easy, vator and BigMaloe like this.
  17. omgTHEpotential

I've been following the Thunder quite a bit this year. And there's no denying that Westbrook is stat-padding (the whole team is in on it). So you have a good point there. However, his usage is so high because it absolutely has to be. His supporting cast is absolutely atrocious compared to Harden's. OKC is overachieving quite a bit and it's all because of Westbrook. It's not a surprise that they're like 28-6 or something like that when Russell gets a triple-double.

ShutURBiG! and vator like this.
  18. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Abhhhh @ISOBall he caught yooiuuuuuuu

19. ShutURBiG!

Is it wrong for me to believe that Harden could get a lot more out of Adams, Kanter, Morrow, Oladipo, (and Gibson and McDermott post-trade deadline) than Westbrook could? I'm not just talking about D'Antoni's system here.

We had the media and a majority of our fanbase saying we won't sniff they playoffs because we got a coach that wasn't successful in NY or LA and lost Howard, Terry, Smith, and Beasley to only add Ryan Anderson and Eric Gordon. On top of that, Nene was apparently washed up and too old and Capela was too young and scrawny to make up for Howard's interior defense + rebounding. I know Eric Gordon and Ryan Anderson have a history of injuries, but still...

Yet, the Thunder were expected to have a decent playoff seed and compete with basically the current squad they have.

Now the narrative is that Westbrook's supporting cast is absolutely atrocious?

Richie_Rich, CDrex, vator and 2 others like this.
  20. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

His supporting cast isn't atrocious.

It just looks atrocious because of him.

Oladipo is better than anyone we have besides Harden.
    Kanter while a bad defender is a great bench front court scorer.
    Roberson is considered one of the beat wing defenders in the game.
    Adams as recently as last year was considered a great interior defender and rebounder.
    Taj Gibson is a very good front court player.
    Morrow and mcdermott are known for being good shooters.

It's a lazy excuse to claim talent around them is incredibly different.

Harden has NeNe, capela, Harrell all among the tops in the league in Ortg and ts%. That isn't because they are efficient great players inside. It's because harden gives them amazingly easy looks.

Adams, Taj and Gibson would look the same here and I would argue that Adams and Taj would be our best defenders and finishers.

Some players make other players better. Some great players don't do that as well.

Richie_Rich, vator and ShutURBiG! like this.