1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why are there hardly any good White American NBA players?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by bmd, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Blake Griffin

2. bmd

bmd Member

There are only a few. I just looked at the top 100 points per game scorers in the NBA... and there are only SIX White Americans in the top 100. Just 6!

17. Gordon Hayward
    37. Kevin Love
    38. JJ Redick
    47. Chandler Parsons
    67. Ryan Anderson
    85. Kyle Korver

That's it.

9 in the top 150
    13 in the top 200

I mean that's hardly anybody.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

FIFY.

#23 Easy, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Black guys can shoot.

No need for the white boy!

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

6. lionaire

lionaire Member

White man can dominate the college game but you can't get by with sub-par athleticism in the pros unless you have elite skills. They're mostly limited to role players in the NBA.

Grayson Allen may be the only hope.

7. mario_v

mario_v Member

ESPN did an episode on this topic a couple of years ago on outside the lines.

Basically, it came down to three things.

1. white American players are discouraged from playing basketball from an early age because of their athletic limitations compared to black players.

2. Whites have other alternative options when it comes to sports. Baseball, football, hockey, lacrosse, extreme sports etc.

3. White American basketball players who grew up in the suburbs just don't want it bad enough. They're not as hungry as the black athlete who see the NBA as their only way to make it out of their current living situation. Ball is life.

Their have been plenty of good white European NBA players. Dragic, ginobili, gasol, nowitzki etc. European players grow up mainly focusing on basketball. They go pro at an early age (14-16).

2 people like this.
  8. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks. This is generally how world phenomena are explained. These reasons end up being distilled into an essentialist argument about racial genetics. But the truth is often more complex.

9. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

They hanging out with the African American Baseball players

*grin*

Rocket River

11. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

If you can't dance...you can't play basketball. :cool:

12. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

It's nice to see an intelligent thread on this topic!

13. Ol Bill Worrell

Both.

Learning how to defend the pick and roll or developing a baby hook isn't going to get you recruited and highlights on youtube etc. That's why American basketball is mainly about athleticism. It's what people want to see.

It is what it is. Freakishly athletic white guys just don't exist. They are way behind the 8 ball. Precisely why white parents will push football or baseball a little more than basketball. Easier to succeed.

14. Ol Bill Worrell

It's always been a very interesting topic for me.

What if you have a 6'5" 210 lbs white guy who ALWAYS makes the right play. NEVER makes mistakes and is a very good athlete and basketball player all around.

He may very well succeed in the NBA if given the opportunity.

He will get chosen over any player who is 1 inch taller than him and has relatively the same skills.

He will get chosen over any player with more athleticism and fewer skills.

That 6'5" white guy is much better off trying to become 1 of 22 positions in football or 9 positions in baseball or golf or tennis.

Basketball is just so hard to succeed due to physical limitations.

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

They do in the NFL.

I think it has nothing to do with athletics, unless you just have the belief that black people are more athletic than white people.

It has everything to do with cultures within communities. If you are a black kid growing up in an urban environment it is very likely there are courts every where and it's very likely you've been playing ball before you are even 10.

If you just look at college recruiting you can see how in any sport, certain places within the country are hot beds for talent. New York will never be a hotbed for Football talent. For obvious reasons.

A good way to explain it is to ask yourself this question. "Why isn't America any good at soccer?" when is the last time the USA produced a world elite level talent in soccer? It's not because American's are just not built that way genetically, that's silly. It's because American culture just doesn't really support you being any good at it versus being good at Baseball/Basketball/Football.

It does have something to do with genetics. Little. If Durant had a kid with that WNBA girl he was dating. It's very likely their kid would have been at least a decent basketball player just on how tall that kid would be and how athletic they would be.

If JJ Watt dated Ronda Rousey or something their kid would likely also be super athletic. People have to separate skin color and their perceived notions of race with genetics.

In the end, most black kids grow up in a community or within a culture that celebrates Basketball.

16. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Meh, I don't know how much genetics plays into it. I'd say that it has more to do with focus, and culture. Look at Spain, or Argentina, or Lithuania. Those countries have only a fraction of the population that we have in the U.S., yet they are continually turning out NBA level talent.

17. Caesar

Caesar Member

Because other white players from other countries don't have big bad ass black guys dominating courts growing up with their scary rap music and aggression.

What's more intimidating? A white guy walks to the court by himself or with a few other white friends to see a much larger group of black guys dominating the court already with this completely different culture. A hip hop urban culture that breeds aggression and violence. The white dudes know they shouldn't even bother calling next, because some other black dude is going to bully his way in front and say he had next. If you question it, he will try intimidation tactics that most white guys will never stand up to mostly due to fear of getting jumped by every black guy there and not because they fear that single individual. Black guys rarely fight one on one. They always jump you in groups to maintain fear from other groups. It's a smart plan actually. If you've ever watched videos of or have seen in person a black guy fighting solo, they just flail their arms in attempt to punch something and expecting that their size will overcome any fight with whichever smaller person they started that fight with.

For the most part hispanic and asian guys who try to act black also use all of these tactics to dominate and keep control of a basketball court. Though they are usually fat and out of shape so they leave the court sooner than a black group. This isn't some scared white boy in a black neighborhood either. Rich area or poor area. Blacks and or hispanics/asians will find a court and take control of it.

Now say you're some European white dude. Lets say you're Lithuanian. You go to any court and you're going to find people just like you with no major culture shock if you're in a poor area or wealthy area. You're all white guys and you all have basically the same way of speaking your language. These white guys get to practice as much basketball as they want all day every day from childhood to teenage years before going pro at a young age or playing in other amateur leagues for your age group.

Now you may ask well what about England? They have lots of black guys too. I mean come on. You think a British black dude is anywhere near as intimidating as an American black? It could be because British blacks are just normal African decent. Africans are not intimidating(unless were talking about dudes holding ak-47's.) If you put African guys in America, they would get dominated by every racial group except Indians and Asians. Black Americans though? They are the worlds most physically superior race. Not because of something other races don't have, but because since slavery they were bred to be the biggest and baddest. Did you know that Native Americans were among the tallest men in the world at that time, taller than Europeans and Africans? Hell. If you're black and the next time you complain, think about how you could have been nearly killed completely off by the white man instead of forced into slavery which would end up helping your race be the physically dominant race they are today. It very easily could be Native Americans sporting an average height of over 6'0 with low body fat and speed and leaping superiority. Maybe even with their own thigh slappers. They would be the ones buying monster condoms for their magnum dongs. Instead it's you black guys while they live on reservations swatting flies away from their face.

Anyway, the big intimidation factor also dies down a lot with the accents. Lets act that out:

Interaction with a Black American on basketball court:
    White guy - "Excuse me Sir, i do believe i had next."
    Black American - "YO, WHAT THE **** YOU SAY? I GOT NEXT *****."
    White guy - "Yes. I understand you believe you have next. But it would seem you are mistaken."
    Black American - "hahaha nah *****, i got next. Now get the **** up out my face. Feel me?"
    White guy - "No. This isn't fair."
    *Black American has group of friends approach*
    *Black American gains massive boost in confidence to engage in physical intimidation tactic*
    *Black American invades white guys space with closed fists*
    *White guy closely examines situation and decides the best course of action is to walk away as quickly as possibly*
    *Black group laughs and teases and says racist things as they are the only group who has apparently earned the right to be openly racist and fear no consequences*
    *White guy gets to safe distance before whispering the N word to himself*
    *White guy knows he whispered that in a safe tone but is still unsure if he was heard*
    *White guy looks in every direction to make sure no one heard him*
    *White guy enters his $50,000+ vehicle and sets up booty call with his non white side piece who worships him just for being white*

Now lets fly on over to England.
    White Englishman- "ello mate. May i enter this exciting game of basketball next?"
    Black Englishman - "It is excitin innit. But this my ends. My fam. I got next."
    White Englishman - "Is-it? Very well, good day mate."
    Black Englishman - "Kotch Bruv! Kotch! I is just takin the piss bruv. Dont be shook then? Don't gotta squalay. You get next WIT ME."
    *Both men shake hands and enjoy a riveting match of basketball*

It's all really easy to see. Basketball has been dominated by black american urban/hip hop culture unlike any other sport. The talented white kids probably grow up with family forcing a football or baseball in their hands.

The more interesting question is why so many Americans regardless or race or culture just can't get in to soccer/futbol?

18. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

Haha uhh what?

19. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

Baseball is becoming more foreign and not so much being dominated by Americans...

20. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

I've got 3 words for you jabroni's.

Take it in, digest it, then sit down.

1. Fast. 2. Twitch. 3.Musklefibers.

Selective breeding. Slavery. Suffering. Salvation.

The 4 S's of the rise, fall, and further rise of FTM's. It is the African way man.

Nothing to do with the bull**** excuses white guys come up with.