1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why are shooter manifestos published?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Senator, Aug 4, 2019.

?

Should shooter manifestos and media accounts be public

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. Senator

Senator Member

It’s the same confused drivel each time and it only serves to inspire the next idiot. The El Paso shooter was inspired by Christchurch who was inspired by some other manifesto etc.

If you can’t take away guns, at least take away misinformation from kids.

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It really doesn't matter, anyone that wants to see it will be able to find it.

Everything that radicalized the shooter is easily accessible on youtube, reddit, etc etc

It's the internet. Once it is on the internet, it is posted there forever, so if anything we should confront the manifesto head on and discuss why it and its ideals of white supremacy and nationalism are wrong.

Brando2101, foh and Invisible Fan like this.
  3. Senator

Senator Member

Doesn’t matter if you’re an angry and mentally ill person. Why was Christchurch published and not banished? It inspired this guy. It’s a big part of the problem and is no different to banning hate speech. Every school will tell you white supremacy and nationalism are wrong, just like gang related murders, but that doesn’t stop it from happening.

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Christchurch was banished, pretty heavily, it just didn't feel that way because a quick google search would bring you the manifesto.

I was even able to find the video (which was heavily banished from the internet) days after. This stuff really isn't that hard to find for a generation that partly grows up on the internet. I could probably find it now, anyone could, probably within a 5-7 time limit, wouldn't be that hard, but I don't think we've had a major news outlet post the manifesto anyway, just snippets from it.

It's curious though, if you think banning the manifesto will help stop the shooting then should we also ban youtube conspiracy theory videos talking about the "Great Replacement" made by popular conservative personalities like Lauren Southern?

Why just stop at banning the manifesto and don't stop at banning all the things that inspired it?

5. Senator

Senator Member

Again, you so brazenly say something incorrect and pronounce it as a fact. No wonder trump gets away with it. Christchurch church was published on cnn, wapo,huff etc and I shook my head reading it. The first line of El Paso referred to it.

Guess what? The internet needs more government surveillance. More hate rhetoric shut down. And they have the sources to do it if they wanted to. These are very specific and very modern hate speeches that sway ill individuals. It’s a small, but necessary step to prevent the next deluded person. You think a gun law is getting passed in Texas that has 350 million guns handed in over a few years? You need to understand reality and dealing with extremists ... they are spurred on by rhetoric.

You are hellbent on making this a white thing as that is what excites you about this, but the same number of mass murders are carried out by black males as white males, although black males make up 6% of the population. So try to stay on topic, that’s shutting down 21st century hate filled manifestos using aggressive means, instead of pretending like it will all be ok by saying gang murders are bad, or white nationalism is bad. History is history, but we can rewrite the present.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

No, I'm not incorrect. Go find where it is published. In fact, is CNN publishing this one? No, they are not. You say I'm incorrect, post it. Show me where CNN posted the memo or any major news publisher. Prove me wrong then, should be easy to do, the receipts are all on the internet.

I disagree, the Internet needs less government surveillance, not more. The problem isn't the internet, per se, but the conversations we are having on it. When people flirt with race realism being 'up for debate' then this is a natural following of that. Everything in his manifesto has been discussed by the likes of Lauren Southern, Black Pigeon Speaks, Peter Molyneux...people that have been referenced and link here by posters who think they are moderate conservatives...

The irony of you telling me to stay on topic when you mention the bold lol.

No, this is a white thing, the shooter made that very clear in his manifesto. I've made my point, in fact, I've found the manifesto in full like a minute after my last post, just like that, easy.

Not sure why you think 'banning' it is going to help. You need to live in reality bro, it's on the internet, once its posted on the internet its there forever. Anyone can get to it now. That's how the internet works. The various 'fappenings' should teach us that.

Trying to ban it is useless. Period. End of story. So the premise of this thread is silly, the manifesto is published already. I think I'm more interested in why this ideology has gained traction than trying to delete its literature.

I think some people that want to 'banish' it from the internet are the same people that think they are living in a post-racial America and can't confront the fact that they are not, that there's still a lot of hate out there, and even worse that the president is stoking that fear.

foh likes this.
  7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

That misinformation is largely the Republican platform.

Rashmon likes this.
  8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The point isnt that anyone can find it. When major news outlets publish it they give these people what they want.

They got their voice heard by mass killing

cml750 and Senator like this.
  9. foh

foh Member

Might as well ask "fake news" not to report on mass shootings.

How am I supposed to know if "fake news" are not misrepresenting the motives if I can't read the manifestos? Or am I supposed to just completely ignore this problem until some brain washed psycho shoots me with AK47 while I am with my kids in a mall?

Can't have it both ways, buddy.

Got any other solutions?

PS the manifesto makes it crystal clear that it is a "white thing". The idea of going out with a gun and killing people is pretty prevalent by now - ie no need to focus on New Zealand shooting over the actual white supremacist motives. It doesn't take much to figure out that gee, look at all the guns around - let me get one and walk into a crowd of people to cause some carnage and get my name in the news and maybe have some "fine people" commend me for my bravery. Maybe even the president might say that people I killed are rapists and gang bangers and they thus had it coming

#9 foh, Aug 4, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    JayGoogle likes this.
  10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Were you shocked with how much you aligned with those manifestos?

JayGoogle, Rileydog and marky :) like this.
  11. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Must be uncomfortable reading a white supremacist terrorist’s manifesto and knowing that you agree with the core notion that this country is being diluted by immigrants. But you’re a patriotic American that keeps your guns secure. How dare they publish this and inspire more racists to come out and commit terrorism.

mtbrays, amaru, Xenon and 2 others like this.
  12. Senator

Senator Member

Justin Smollet, is that you? I don't own any guns. Your anger and vitriol have nothing to do with me and confirms that you will use this event to parrot your hate for white men. The shooter disliked both the republican and democrat parties for clearly laid out reasons ... in addition to corporations which do genuinely cause problems with income distribution and wreak havoc on local businesses.

No one I know is against legal immigration, most all people support increasing it once illegal immigration is under control.

Astrodome likes this.
  13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I really think the "pretend white nationalist hate crimes involving high powered assault weapons don't exist" will work...

amaru likes this.
  14. Senator

Senator Member

New Zealand banned it after CNN published the christchurch manifesto - https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/22/asia/new-zealand-bans-suspect-manifesto/index.html

That is all that is required - it's common sense. So what if it's available on the dark corners of the internet for "internet experts" like yourself to find, the general populace do not need to see it. Nothing good comes of it. People in rural areas are struggling due to having to compete with a global economy and automation will not make things better.

Well, Kyrie Irving disagrees with the world being round. So much for individual opinions being important, I'd rather save lives.

So New Zealand banned the manifesto because of your made up narrative to feel better about being a victim?

15. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Someone took that emotionally and thought I must have been directing that post at them! Again, very sensitive! My post was directed at race supremacists who are uncomfortable with manifestos being printed that share their core beliefs.

Obsessed with all the wrong things- Smollett, Antifa , Omar, and AOC.

Legal immigration, the right way! Show me your papers!!

16. NewRoxFan

So you want to follow New Zealand's lead and ban all assault weapons?

17. Senator

Senator Member

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/22/asia/new-zealand-bans-suspect-manifesto/index.html

You are making up a narrative. New Zealand banned the manifesto to take away fuel from people who are frustrated, angry and violent. You are delusional if you think everyone can handle information. This is a small but necessary step to save lives, something you want to avoid for what exactly? Where has the President promoted white nationalism?

The issue here is economics. Jobs are being taken away from white middle class rural Americans and they will find anything to be frustrated about. Certain democrats supporting illegal immigration loopholes isn't helping. There has to be a consensus on how to tackle illegal immigration from both parties until in house problems are solved and low wage workers have better conditions to live in. It's common sense, again.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think you are barking up the wrong tree. 8chan, 4chan or whatever is responsible for trafficking in this content. At least now we know the feds are monitoring the site like hawks. Still isn’t enough though.

It starts on Facebook and YouTube then moves over to 4Chan. It’s on A holes like Zuckerberg to stop it at its source. The 4chan owners can all go to hell.

After a crime takes place I don’t think the media should share it but I rarely see them do that anyways. Investigative journalists are damn good at their jobs and it’s hard to keep internet posted content from them so really it’s on Facebook and the “second phase” website like 4 Chan to be the ultimate gate keeper of making sure this propaganda is sniffed out.

Actually I take it back... the source of inspiration is actually the ultimate responsible agent. That being the cleric. In this case of white nationalism look at who the cleric is at the top right now. Whose name is on their bumper stickers at the moment?

But with the manifestos, it’s tech that holds responsibility here for keeping from being shared.

JayGoogle likes this.
  19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I can tell you are very blind to right wing bubbles. Some of the most right wing white nationalists I know are Individuals I served with with perfect job security. This is beyond economics.

20. NewRoxFan

You want to follow the New Zealand response to the ChristChurch mass shooting? OK, then ban assault weapons.

And I am amazed you are so bent on defending trump and white nationalism as a cause of these shootings that you attempt to justify it as "Jobs are being taken away from white middle class rural Americans and they will find anything to be frustrated about" and you blame it on illegal immigration?

That's next level white nationalism thinking...