1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why are religions not outlawed?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by stonegate_archer, Nov 12, 2009.

Tags:
  1. langal

langal Contributing Member

Try telling that to the poorest in poor nations though. It's easy for us living in America to call other primitive and dumb.

2. stonegate_archer

stonegate_archer Contributing Member

Family events are fine, don't want them to kill themselves either. Just want to point out the flaw in their after life/heaven logic.

Then again, I prefer to go to family events without religious overtones. And it is irrelevant to me since most people in my circle don't do anything with church related activities.

See I call to outlaw religion and I am labeled intolerant, tons of on tv interviews condemn non-believers, someone knocks on my door 9am on Saturday morning and trying to save me, they are just nice people sent by God.

#102 stonegate_archer, Nov 14, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  3. myputersux

myputersux Member

Whether you admit it or even see it, you are the other side of the coin from those you claim to detest.

They are intolerant, and so are you.

4. stonegate_archer

There is a big difference, I don't claim crap to be truth, and I don't have the burden of proof. Right now frauds run amok, there is no coin, just criminals try to commit crime.

Have you seen those 700 clubs late night programs? They tell you to mail them money and they guarantee you will get your lost job back and become a millionaire, if that is not fraud then I don't know what is.

5. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

I will also have to agree that wanting to eradicate religions completely is no better than the religious zealots wanting to eradicate gays or prostitutes or whatever misguided crusade you want to bring up.

At least from my POV in this thread, most folks are more level headed than that. And thats a good thing.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Nice backpeddling. Do you still think religion is mass delusion, and do you still want it to be outlawed?

7. stonegate_archer

Absolutely, they claim outrageous bs to be true without any evidence, intimidate nonreligious people with hell and violence, not to mention breeding ignorance and brainwash children. I mean you don't let you kids watch R-rated movies but you let him stare at a nude dude nailed to a cross every day and think he is the coolest guy on earth? Outlaw all religions asap.

Snakes either talk or they don't, there is no coin, just plain truth.

#107 stonegate_archer, Nov 14, 2009
  8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

You outlaw a bunch of science
    Hell for just about every Scientific 'fact' there is another scientist saying it is wrong and a bunch of 'BS'

Rocket River

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Awesome. Throw me to the lions, too. :D

This thread is amazing. From the intolerance to the condescension, it's just chock full of awesome.

There may be some intolerant people of faith who are screaming at you all to "turn or burn" somewhere else...but it's not happening on this BBS. Take the pitchforks and lions somewhere else.

10. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Max, you know that I am agnostic but that I generally don't join in the religion bashing threads.

That said, I find the concept of Hell even more offensive than I find it ridiculous. On that, I completely agree with stonegate archer.

The idea that I or anyone else will burn for eternity because I don't share someone else's beliefs is beyond offensive. It's self righteous, smug and every other condescending thing that is, from my reading, the opposite of the humility of Christianity.

It seriously disgusts me and whenever it comes up I grow more resentful of organized religion.

11. MadMax

who here is damning anyone to hell? who asked for this?

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Only at the boundaries of scientific knowledge and exploration is there a lot of debate and grey area. Probably less than a half of a half of a half of a percent of the depth of all scientific knowledge and discovery. So please, stop lying to promote your agenda.

13. stonegate_archer

That is the thing, bashing religion is generally considered rude and offensive. Why? This is a debate and discussion board right? People thank Jesus and Lord on a hourly basis on TV, radio and Internet and THAT, is offensive. Don't like my tune? Don't discuss.

Snakes don't talk, and people who say so deserved to be mocked and laughed at to eternity.

14. BucMan55

Still not sure why folks don't go back to what Christ says is most important, and that is love. Thats where it all starts, and shoving eternal damnation in someone's face is not love. Helping them fix their car shows love. Watering your neighbor's grass when they are gone over the summer shows love.

15. BucMan55

Um, it seems to me you want to preach to the choir so to speak. And I would say that a D&D forum on a Houston Rockets message board wouldn't quite be the best place to do that.

Still find it funny you have a problem with intolerance of religion, but preach intolerance towards religion.

16. paulftsk

paulftsk Member

Even as a devout Catholic, I can see where you're coming from. I don't agree with how the church tries to convert "non-believers", people should be able to think what they want

However, you have to realize that religion, is the one thing that gives us hope and comfort in bad times (at least for me).
    You seem to be working on the sole premise of religious conversion. If you don't like them banging on your door, tell them to leave. It's as easy as that.

17. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Who here? Nobody. But this is a thread about religion, so I thought that one of the primary tenets of one of the world's largest religions would be an appropriate topic.

I'm not trying to start a fight. Just saying that, while I mostly subscribe to a live and let live thing where religion is concerned, there is this one thing about religion, at least, that I find unconscionable.

18. stonegate_archer

I promote rationality, reason and science. This world is upside down, operating on ignorance. I am intolerant towards stupidity, ignorance and criminals.

What is funny is that I look up I see the ad from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Do we deserve to be bombarded from mental cases and criminals like Joseph Smith? The problem is there are too few people like me who call their bluff and say it out loud:

The white beard guy is the cloud is a piece of your imagination! Or fabrication in Smith's case.

Really, these guys should be arrested.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Exaggeration?

Rocket River

20. MadMax

You're not interested in debating or discussing anything. You're here to mock and laugh at people.

As for talking snakes...you do realize there are a large number of Christians who do not believe the Bible to be entirely literal, right? Who believe that each letter or book of the Bible is written with a different purpose. I, personally, do not believe the Genesis creation story to be literal truth...it's written as poetry. I don't believe it was ever intended to be interpreted as literal truth. There are truths in the story, however, I believe.

I'm not sure who stepped on your toes in the name of faith...and particularly in the name of Christ. I too am disturbed often by the Church and its approach. Often, I find it to be anything but following the example of Jesus. And I'm very sorry for whatever happened to you with those folks that brings out such venom on this topic.

Having said that, I do not appreciate being mocked...or condescended to. I don't think any of us do.

#120 MadMax, Nov 14, 2009