1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why are Houston Rockets such an unattractive destination for quality free agents

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RockyChamp, Jun 27, 2010.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pentajigga

pentajigga Member

convincing

2. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Wait wait wait. We mistreated Artest by letting him go to a championship team instead of being stuck on one that was basically rebuilding last season. Yeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh.

As for the others, their long and productive careers after their tenure with the Rockets show that we definitely didn't handle them right. :rolleyes:

3. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Chill out dude! Herrera was pretending to channel SheMac...

4. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

If there are too many players too list, how about you just try explaining how those you listed were mistreated? Did the Rockets organization go out and run over each of these guys dogs or toilet paper their houses?

The Rockets shelled out tons of money on those guys and four out of the five flamed out of the NBA with only themselves to blame.

5. Salvy

Salvy Member

6. brian_chapman

brian_chapman Member

No,Im just saying what alot of fans are saying,that Yao is done and something needs to be done.

No, what im saying is that all things being equal Houston still loses out to those cities. You say if Houston had cap space we would sign Lebron? No way. Even if Houston had 30 million in cap space,we are not an attractive destination as compared to those 9 teams I mentioned. Alot of it has to do with Yao being past his prime.Face it, you cannot let go of Yao,I see that.

Yes sometimes I am smarter than the gm's. As far as Yao's salary,your right but you forgot one thing, Yaos salary (lets say 20 million) counts toward the luxury tax. So that means,Morey will have to gut the roster,or not re-sign our own free agents because of Yaos albatross.Simple math.Im surprise you missed this fact. Your right in that we cant sign any free agents,but we still have to worry about the tax,and if we didnt have a 20 million guy sitting on the bench,we would never have to work deals to get under the tax every year

Actually,Morey came here in 2006. We could have gotten alot more for Tmac back then ,as compared to Hill+picks. Morey waited to long. Ive always knew Tmac was a choker and it took Morey 4 years to see it. As far as managing cap,Morey has done great with the limited resources he has, but he would have so much more wiggle room if he didnt have 20 million sitting on the bench.

7. bjshot

bjshot Member

I thought Dream was traded to Raptor for saving Les a few bucks.

8. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Reading your post just made my IQ go down. Not many posters have that ability. You sir are to be congratulated!!!!

9. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

This should be on the front page!

10. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

1) fame
    2) money

thats the bottom line. I hear them say, "best situation for me and my family," but come on, lets be real. A chance to win a championship is highly overrated and with these guys getting max deals, it makes it much more difficult to arrange a supporting cast, especially for teams that traditionally have not been able to assess player personnel.

If it was truly about a chance to win a championship or strong upper management, I think you'd hear Houston's name more often...but its not.

11. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Yea because they just cant wait to team with Yao, the two time MVP with 3 championships under his belt...... :confused:

12. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

You're conflating issues. Championship teams have little to no cap space and for guys primed to make ~$30 mil, asking them to take less than $10 mil is an insult if not outright insane. Even I'll admit that 'winning a championship' needs to be coupled with value in return.

In the west, teams like the Rockets, Mavs, Trailblazers, and Suns are teams that could probably work out an arrangement where they can create a sign and trade with the superstars current team, dishing out a reasonable amount of talent to suffice superstar team x while still retaining enough talent to be competitive for a championship immediately.

That's the difference between the Rockets and other teams in their boat versus teams like the Knicks and Nets that will provide more fame, higher paydays, but few results in the near-term.

13. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

This was imaginative and funny the first 50 times it was used. But, really, what does this actually mean?

14. Shaud

Shaud Member

It means you can't rep someone again until you have repped a certain amount of other posters.

15. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

none of those players were mistreated. All were paid millions. Francis and Bonzi should both be sent to jail for stealing their pay-checks and the same could be said for TMac during his last two seasons. None were even remotely mistreated.

16. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

not the case at all

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Why are Houston Rockets such an unattractive destination for quality free agents?

Its not so much about being unattractive, as it is the potential to win a championship. If their is anything all the hallmark free agents have in common, its that they not only want to win, they want to be in the finals. The Celtics have made the latest measuring stick of how to build a title team in one off season to mean: Go to a team with 2 or 3 superstars and a decent enough supporting cast. At last count, Houston had 1 superstar that at this point, cant count as one until he has had the chance to play for a while. So in all fairness, we will count Yao as a potential superstar. Now Houston fairs very well on the supporting cast element. So what we are left with to make things enticing is to turn some of the support cast into a superstar. Then comes the question: Who will take a package of good support players and some good future picks for a superstar? If none of the for-mentioned occur, A potential superstar considering Houston has to see that their is a distinct possibility that they may be the only superstar on the team. LeBron is the only guy of the lot that could take a team to the finals by himself, and he just came from that very situation, making it unlikely that he would leave and go to a team with that makeup. Additionally, what players we would have to give up to get him would diminish any argu ment for saying that our support cast is vastly superior to Clevelands. Nope, wont happen as things are. If we can somehow add a JJ or Amare with minmum of player loss, I would put Houston par with the contending other teams on the basis solely of finals potential.

18. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

The problem is that you've made incorrect and outright misleading statements to try and back up your point.

A great example is the "Bosh says Miami is top choice,might sign outright to be with "greatest player ever" thread. Bosh's quote was "Miami is in top contention". Everyone knew this already. We also know that Chicago, NY and NJ are all also leading contenders. You took that quote and changed it to "Miami is top choice" which is not what Bosh said. Bosh also said "Dwyane is going to be one of the greatest players in the history of the game when it's said and done" and you turned that into Bosh saying that Wade was the "greatest player ever". Again, that's completely inaccurate and not what Bosh said.

I understand that you are saying that Yao is done, but that is nothing more than your opinion and based on your prior posts I'd have to classify it as an uninformed opinion. Morey is a bright guy, he has access to the medical info and he certainly has more to lose in the situation so forgive me if I give more weight to his opinion.

Here you go stating things as facts when they were never said. Did I say that the Rockets would sign Lebron if we had $30M free? Nope, I said that we would attract a free agent. The fact is that nobody can guarentee that they'll get Lebron. What can be guarenteeed is that teams like Miami and Chicago who have massive cap space will get free agents to come there.

I'll ask again, who are the free agents that have been flocking to Cleveland? You stated "cavs-play with lebron". Ok, Lebron's been in Cleveland for 7 years, so what free agents has he attracted to Cleveland in those 7 years? How about Boston? Those "all time greats" have been there 3 years, so what FAs have they attracted? Dallas? Dirk has been a top PF for years and Cuban use to spend even more money, so what Free Agents signed there? Orlando? Howard's been there for years and the only big name free agent that they signed is Rashard and they only got him because they offered him $50M more than the next highest bidder.

So if all of these teams haven't attracted free agents in the past then why are they all of a sudden so attractive?

Yes, Yao's salary counts toward the luxury tax as does Kobe's, Garnett's , Jamisions, Curry's and every other player in the NBA. Yet another case where you state something as a fact when it has no basis whatsoever. Morey has already stated multiple times that Alexander has given him the ok to exceed the luxury tax. I'm fully aware that you claim that we would only exceed the luxury tax for Bosh or Amare, but the pursuit of Joe Johnson has already disproved that one.

So really what you stated "So that means,Morey will have to gut the roster,or not re-sign our own free agents because of Yaos albatross" is really "If Yao gets resigned for max money and he can't play and Alexander won't pay the luxury tax". Again another case of you trying to mislead people by overstating the truth.

Let me ask you this. We had $40M in payroll sitting on the bench for almost the entire year, correct? Did we have to gut the team? No we didn't. In fact we acquired more assets and strengthened both our talent level and our trade assets. So, worst case if Yao couldn't play anymore then why would we then have to gut the team? Since we didn't have to resort to gutting the team with two max guys on the bench I'm failing to see why one max guy on the bench would kill us.

BTW if Yao would be forced to retire due to injury then the Rockets can apply for salary cap relief. That's exactly what happened with Luc Longly in '92. The Knicks were allowed to completely remove his salary from the salary cap and luxury tax since he was forced to retire due to injury.

Ok, so you're advocating that we should have traded McGrady the same year that we acquired him? That makes sense. Since we got McGrady for Francis, Mobley and Cato, why do you think that we could have gotten such a great deal for him. Why would the market suddenly improve just because we were trading him rather than Orlando? If Francis, Mobley and Cato was McGrady's market value then I'll take the Martin, Hill and two potential lottery picks every day of the week.

Now you say "As far as managing cap,Morey has done great with the limited resources he has" but earlier in the thread you said "Morey good at drafting players but poor with managing cap "
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=5391300&postcount=25

So which is it? Is he poor at managing the cap or has he done great? You seem to be contridicting yourself within the same thread.

#98 aelliott, Jun 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  19. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

I wouldnt want to live in Houston. Even now I dont want to live here. It's hot as balls and I cant wait till' I start living in Cali. :cool:

20. RockyChamp

RockyChamp Member

Why couldn't the Rockets land Bosh?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.