1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why are Houston Rockets such an unattractive destination for quality free agents

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RockyChamp, Jun 27, 2010.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amaru

amaru Member

1. No Cap space

2. The other star the free agent would be paired with is an injury waiting to happen :(

2. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

What is so annoying with CAPS? Pray tell! :p

3. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

I GOT YOU PEGGED A military redneck if ever there was one!
    With hatred for our star Yao Ming :p

4. aristophanes34

Touche.

But I do think it is amazing how many people play right into his hands. He's the Andy Kaufman of CF.

5. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

First, all images of Dream in another uni should be banned.

Second, you have to have a dependable star to draw another. I do think players take notice of how others are treated and that could cause some issues for us.

6. ChumpCity

ChumpCity Member

Andy Kaufman??

I'd say its more likely that he is the Richard Justice of CF......

7. EffTheJazz!!!

EffTheJazz!!! Member

Because each of the top quality free agents want to play with another top quality FA, and Yao doesn't count as one unless he's healthy. And the rockets don't have the cap to sign two tier 1 FA's...

8. topfive

topfive CF OG

BAD memories! I recall waking up in my car in the parking lot at 6:00 am with the engine running and my VISA card missing -- my boss and co-worker had used it to run up a $1200 tab. But maybe we shouldn't share that story with Chris Bosh.

9. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

You mean somebody that would say something like this?:

DM: Yeah, I guess, but I don’t think of them as pieces – they’re people. That’s the other reason trades don’t happen that often. These are people who are part of the community, part of everything. So even though we have all those things, it’s going to take a lot for us to say, ‘Let’s break apart this really solid group.’ It’s going to have to take All-Star like talent coming our way for us to say, ‘This is something we want to break up.’ We like how our guys are growing together. We like how our guys are progressing. We think some of the guys on our team could develop into All-Star level players. So I think it’s going to take a lot and that’s why I think there’s probably not a lot that’s going to happen. It will take a lot for us to break this up.

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/q_with_daryl_morey_rockets__2009_12_17.html

Of course, when he values his own players and won't make deals unless they make us significantly better, then people start complaining because he's not out there making moves just for the sake of making moves. Which is it? Do you want him to be loyal or make moves? You can't do both. If you acquire players then somebody is leaving.

1 person likes this.
  10. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

You know, I'll admit that you try really hard to convince people that the Rockets are doomed and that Morey doesn't know what he's doing. You try really hard, but you're just not very good at it.

Let's see, who are all of the free agents that have flocked to OKC and Boston? Who was the last big name FA to sign with the Knicks, Bulls or Heat? How about Dallas? Who's Orlando signed, Rashard? Who have the Lakers signed other than Shaq? The fact is that nobody cosistenly gets big name free agents. That's because they rarely move and when they do they go to where the money is.

This year Chicago, NY, Miami and NJ have cash so they'll attract free agents. If we had $30M free then we'd attract free agents too. It's not really complicated, for 90% of the NBA franchises, if they have money available then they'll get players. Are there any exceptions? Sure. Minnesota and Mephis can have cap space and still have difficulty but that's an exception.

Now on to Yao. So you know that he's done. Glad to see that you're that much smarter than all of the NBA execs. You also already know how much Yao will sign for? Now explain to me how Yao's salary will prevent us from signing other free agents? Are you saying that it's not possible to have a max player and still have cap flexibility? Are you saying that if we didn't sign Yao then we'd have all kinds of cap space? What exactly are you saying?

We've been over he cap for years and we've had a huge turnover of players and a major talent infusion since Morey took over. So now if we resign Yao then we can't continue to do that? Why? What's different?

Did you really just say that Daryl Morey was poor at managing the cap? The guy is recognized as a genius at managing the cap. Who's done a better job? He's taken almost no assets and a bad cap situation and upgraded the talent level while increasing our assets. Who else can do that?

Morey traded McGrady at the wrong time? For real? That deal was the heist of the year. Simmons and Chad Ford are using it as the yardstick for measuring all of the draft day trades. Landry and McGrady gets you Jordan Hill, Kevin Martin and two potential lottery picks? If that's a mistake then let's have Morey screw up one more time and we're a contender.

3 people like this.
  11. topfive

topfive CF OG

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to aelliott again.

12. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

I often think about this. People say we treat our Stars like crap, others say we don't have a championship caliber team. I disagree with both, and like to think it's simply becuase it's Houston. Houston is a huge city full of business... no bright lights, no movie stars, no other nationally recognized sport franchises with winning a history. Though I think that these things are irrelavent and our global marketing audience is behind only LA and maybe New York, Houston is just not that interesting. I got love for my city, but Houston is just boring sometimes...i'm sure a championship this decade would help, though. :confused:

13. amaru

amaru Member

LOL.

First time I've ever been called a redneck :p

14. Shaud

Shaud Member

People continue overblowing this.

Some of you act there were about 28 superstars. There were a hand full of free agents and they didn't choose Houston.

Well guess what there are more than 25 other teams they also didn't choose.

15. dragonz

dragonz Member

Really? They are still doing that?

16. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

How many high quality players can u think of that were acquired as free agents?

17. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Didn't Hakeem make some controversial remarks early in his career about wanting to finish his career in Vancouver... before the franchise moved to Memphis? He just had a fondness for the city in spite of all that Houston had meant to him. It's a two-way street.

18. k-money

k-money Member

artest- just because if the rockets kept him LA would have lost the finals.
    francis
    bonzi
    tmac

many more mistreaded players but too long of a list to post.

19. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Thanks for your comments Tracy

20. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Artest? WTF. They would have won with Ariza.

And Bonzi came here and ate his way out of the league. He is probably working out at Krispy Kreme right now getting ready for his next shot. Adleman refused to put a KKreme in the locker room. Poor mistreated Bonzi.

Steve came here and decided he was "entitled" to a starting job and never put in the work to get one. Isn't he trying to get a shot in China but only if they give him a starting role? Imagine him having to work!!

Don't even get me started on Me-Mac.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.