1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why am I getting shocked?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by goophers, Dec 2, 2003.

Tags:
  1. goophers

goophers Member

Over the past few months, I have been getting shocked more and more often due to static electricity with increasingly stronger shocks. I thought it might have to do with a change in the weather, but this has been going on for weeks now. I get substantial shocks about 8 or more times a day. Some of them are loud enough that my coworkers hear it (they think it's funny), and some of them are strong enough to actually be visible. I don't know how to stop it. It's starting to get painful and my heart jumps each time, which I doubt is good for me long-term.

Some people say it's due to walking on carpet. But I don't drag my feet. I have gotten shocked while on carpeting, but also after I've been on linoleum or even a metal floor for long periods. Every time I get out of my car I can't shut the door unless I push on the window, since for some reason the car seems to give me really strong shocks. If anyone can help (especially about the car - those are the worst!), I'd appreciate it. Anyone else have this problem?

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

What kind of shoes do you wear?

3. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Maybe you are turning into this guy...
    [​IMG]

Blitzkrieg
    Legal Status: West German citizen with no criminal record
    Identity: Secret
    Other Aliases: In Germany, he is "Der Blitzkrieger" (The Lightening Warrior) rather than Blitzkrieg (Lightening War)
    Place of Birth: Backnang, West Germany
    Marital Status: Married
    Known Relatives: Anne Mittelstaedt (wife), Johann Mittelstaedt (son)
    Base of Operations: Stuttgari, West Germany
    First Appearance: CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS #1

History: Mittelstaedt was inspecting an electrical power plant when a stray bolt of lightening struck a faulty generator and bathed him in electricity. When he emerged from his coma weeks later, he found that he could summon lightening at will to wield as a weapon. He decided to use his power in the name of democracy.

Height: 5 ft. 9 in.
    Weight: 150 lbs.
    Eyes: Blue
    Hair: Brown

Strength Level: Blitzkrieg possesses the normal human strength of a man of his age, height, and build

Known Superhuman Powers: Blitzkrieg is able to summon lightening by mentally controlling the electrical charge of his body, other objects, and the particles of dust and water vapor present in the air. All he has to do is mentally give the air one charge (for instance, positive) and an object the opposite charge (negative) and he causes electrostatic energy to spark between them. By controlling how much matter he gives opposite charges, he can control the amount of electricity generated. He is able to generate as much as 15,000,000 volts in a single bolt, sufficient force to blast a hole in a cinder-block wall of blister steel plate. With sufficient concentration, he can generate a stroke if lightening several miles in length. He is only limited by extent of his sphere of mental influence over charged particles, which is approximately two miles in radius, and by the presence of lightening objects of energy. He generally does not wield lightening outside of his line of sight for fear of accidentally striking something he does not wish to. The lightening travels at up to half a million feet per second, depending on atmospheric conditions.

Because Blitskrieg's lightening is generated externally rather than internally in the manner Electro, he actually has a greater degree of control over it. While Electro can only generate an electrical bolt and release it in the general direction of hi target, Blitzkrieg creates an ionized "bridge" through the air between the charged target and the incharged lightening source, usually a large volume of air. While it is possible to dodge one of Electro's bolts by moving faster than he can aim, it is impossible to dodge one of Blitzkrieg's because his lightening is attracted to the target-charges in the very act of its generation. Even if the target-object moved, its opposite charge would attract Blitzkrieg's lightening, causing it to follow until it struck.

Blitzkrieg is able to harness this lightening for several special effects. By spinning electrically charged particles in a tight circle he can create a wind of near-tornado velocity. By combining this tornado-like wing with a continuous arc of lightening between his feet and ground, Blitzkrieg can create a "lightening bridge" capable of bearing him aloft and moving through the sky at velocities of up to 120 miles per hour. He can also create objects such as shields, cages and spheres out of lightening by charging the particles in the atmosphere in strict formations. These objects remain in existence for as long as he can concentrate upon them. This generally is a matter of minutes.

Blitzkrieg's body is immune to electricity. As long as his brain is still alive, it is able to displace the effects of high voltage.

4. drapg

drapg Member

One more reason I hate the cold weather.

I always get shocked when touching anything metal from November - February. I have no idea as to the chemistry / physics of it, but cold weather seems to build up a lot of static electricity in my body. :mad:

5. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

You just answered your own question...

Static electricity shocking is much stronger in drier conditions. The inside of your car and your house are climate controlled with less humidity than outside, thus the shocks...Houston is also drier during Fall and Winter than during Summer, thus more shocks.

All you have to do is touch something before you touch the metal. Instead of the rapid exchange of electrons resulting in a shock, you can rub off a few electrons from your fingertips by touching another surface, alleviating the static. This used to happen all the time when I was at my old job. All the doors had metal door handles, and I was getting shocked. Then, I started to touch the door before the handle and it stopped.

6. Nomar

Nomar Member

For he IS the Kwisatz Haderach!!!

Ok, carry on.

7. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

Wow...you are a Smart......Ass ;)

8. goophers

goophers Member

I tried that by touching the dashboard of the car and the divider between the seats, but it didn't help. I'll touch a surface, and in less than a minute I'll get shocked again by the same surface. Any suggestions on what to paw before I touch any part of the frame? Thanks for your input.

SJC, I wear sneakers most of the time.

9. A-Train

After you get out of the car, brush your hand against the outside of the door window, then close the door. It has to be pretty much immediate. If you touch the dashboard, you can still build up electrons while getting out of the car. Just the simple act of getting in and out of the car can build up enough electrons to cause a shock. This is why you hear stories of people getting blown up while filling their cars up with gas...

10. goophers

goophers Member

:eek: Holy crap, I need to be careful about this!!! Thanks, AT. I'll try that when I go home tonight.

11. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

Yo, so think about it this way, static electicity is built up potential in your body that wants to be grounded through the path of least resistance. So if you touch a conductor, the charges will jump and you will receive a shock. So you need to touch something that's not a conductor. Whenever you think you are going to get shocked, just reach down and touch the ground or the wall if you are inside. Unless you have stainless steel walls. If this still doesn't work... then I don't know what to tell you.

12. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

A capital crime maybe?

13. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

For some reason, this thread is cracking me up. I understand that this shock can be a nuisance, and yes, I have experienced these shock episodes, but I always laughed about it. I then would try to shock Tara and anyone that was around me. I had a blast with my newfound powers!!!

14. goophers

goophers Member

Unfortunately, many of the walls where I work are made of a conductor. I've gotten a majority of the shocks from brushing up against the wall. :mad: Maybe I should get me a walking stick. ;)

15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

"Certain synthetic rubber soles on shoes create a lot of static electricity. Experiment with different shoes."

Dealing with Static Electricity

16. goophers

goophers Member

That link is awesome. Some gems:

"Keep your hands moisturized before you touch the kitty."

"You can experiment with different types of moisturizers and in different locations."

ROTFLMAO!!!!! :D

Actually, this looks like it might be practical for me:
    "Another way is to use a ring or a key and touch something metal" Thanks!

17. A-Train

Don't quit your day job....oh, wait....

18. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Maybe your X Gene is finally kicking in.

Or you are turning into this kid.

[​IMG]

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

:D

I was actually curious about you, A-Train, what your day job is and how you manage to be so damn funny, and I really mean it. I was thinking, could it be that that guy is a really serious-looking accountant that never smiles or laughs or is he really in some kind of job where his talent to deliver the punchline is valuable.

Just nosy, as always.

20. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

Make a hat out of aluminum foil and wear it. It also keeps the government control waves from affecting you.

jk