1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why a Not-So-Fast Impasse Could Keep Tracy McGrady in Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketman2000, Dec 29, 2009.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

Do, or do not. There is no try.

Get 'er done, Moreywan Kenobi.

2. Arvid

Arvid Member

Still not getting that Rockets are not paying TMac if he is not playing (the insurance company is)? There won't be a buyout, unless TMac is willing to give up all his remaining salary, which someone who wants to play only for another contract won't be so stupid to do.

3. bbjai

bbjai Member

Insurance isn't paying anything now, because T-mac started playing

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i brought this up in another thread, but of course since there are like 50 of them about tmac i'm sure few saw it..

An SI writer reported on twitter that he was told tmac being traded is not a sure thing...basically what this article is saying, they agreed to try and look for a trade, but may not find it and keep him.

5. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

pick me pick me, does he have a girls name?

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

Weird as it may seem, the best-case scenario for T-Mac might well be for the Rockets to be unable to trade him, and just let him stay in Chicago and continue to rehab with Grover. No team is going to give him a decent multi-year contract at this point because he's incapable of showing them his true worth.

Give him another half-year of learning what his body can and can't do these days (something he's admitted he's still struggling with) and see if he can learn to redefine his game. More MJ (Magic Johnson) and less MJ (Michael Jordan) -- he needs to rely more on his astounding court sense, his superb passing abilities, and maintain himself as enough of a scoring threat to demand a double team most of the time he has the ball, even if he's no longer making those eye-popping highlight-reel drives.

Once that's done, sign a one-year contract with a team that allows him to show off his new game, then hope his new Body By Grover avoids injury. If he can re-tool his game, he might have another 5-6 years left in him at a pretty high level of play and may indeed coax another big multi-year contract out of someone.

On the other hand, if he takes the Steve Francis route and tries to get back to the top as the same TYPE of player he was before, he'll find himself playing dominos with Stevie at home.

7. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Rocketman 2000 . thank you for backing up my opinion. Your posting was a great read, unlike most of the immature ones posted in the last few days. :p

8. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

Mentioning Ruben Studdard, Kelly Clarkson, AND Justin Guarini in the same article?

Somebody can't wait for AI to start on Fox...

9. rocketfan20

rocketfan20 Contributing Member

I agree about the potential for getting TMac to waive part of his salary. I don't know why the writer didn't at least bring up this possibility.

It was a good article and he's a talented writer, but I'm not sure I agree with some of his analysis. As an earlier post suggested, there could be a number of different scenarios for multi-team deals that would move him.

10. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

This is sad that it ended this way. Even with all the histories behind it all, Tmac did brought a lot of joy to the city to Houston.

I really wish things could have been better.

11. Arvid

Arvid Member

I think we fans need to get our facts straight. As far as I know, insurance covers every game Tracy misses after he sits out certain number of games (that was partly why coach and GM insisted that he wouldn't play at all till end of November so that his subsequent absence will qualify insurance).