1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Whould you consider the Rockets a deep team now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DreamShook, Dec 6, 2014.

?

Do the Rockets now have depth?

1. Yes

152 vote(s)
    60.1%
  2. No

45 vote(s)
    17.8%
  3. Yes, If you call GameStop Managers and Toys R Us stockers depth.

12 vote(s)
    4.7%
  4. Let me get back to you.

44 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I doubt you are 6-10 and weigh 260 pounds. Projecting your sedentary life onto NBA players is just atrocious.

#41 jtr, Dec 7, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I still hope Morey finds a way to improve this team - but the good news is that if no trade is made we are still competitive.

D-Mo is playing at a starter level right now and seems to be improving every game. Jason Terry has proven he still has plenty left in the tank and can contribute at a high level. Canaan was looking fantastic before he went down. Papanikolau is much better than anticipated and I still think his shot will come around. Tarik Black looks like a legitimate rotation big. Even Nick Johnson and Joey Dorsey are having their moments.

This team is MUCH deeper than I expected. MUCH deeper.

More good news? All of these young guys are improving their trade value. Hell, we picked Tarik Black up for nothing and I bet there are at least a few rebuilding teams who would be interested in him now.

3. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

When Troy Daniels is your 14th in your rotation you have depth.

4. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Uncalled for. He makes a good point about Howard's projected durability.

5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Incorrect.

Those teams are not as reliant on their main guy as we are with harden.

6. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

If we lost Harden but had d12, Canaan, Papa, Tjones and everyone else we would be ok.

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

all those teams I listed miss the playoffs without those guys

8. mosby

mosby Member

Really?
    I think Pap along with Dmo are our best bench players.
    Sure i think he can and must score more but i strongly believe he's our best true playmaker (together with harden) in the court. He has won two championships and 2 euroleagues in the last two years. Thats experience.And when the pressure comes in the playoffs he will step up.
    For sure Mchale sees that.
    I give this guy 6 months tops to get his body and speed transition in the nba (areas that needs improvement)
    and he will be irreplaceable.

9. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

The offense has definitely sputtered when they did not have an inside threat. Since the team has started to go to DMo in the post the offense has become more balanced and become much much better. The offense was exceptionally one dimensional after Dwight and TJones were lost with injuries. DMo has brought balance back to the offense.

The team needs another play-maker no doubt to relieve some of the play-making ability from Harden. This is the single area where we are missing guys like Lin and Parsons. As long as Harden is healthy we are good.

10. larsv8

That may be, but on a day in, day out basis, Golden State is much more likely to win without Curry than Houston is without Harden.

Harden generates EVERYTHING for our team.

11. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Honestly I don't know if that is correct. But then again I could not say it is incorrect. I am just going to take your word for it.

12. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

That was my belief as well

But the last 2 games showed otherwise

13. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Honestly the worst example people use. The best player of any team goes down and they are screwed. In combination with other injuries too..

14. beardsanity713

Add Greg Monroe or Dragic & this team could make the finals preferably Monroe

15. larsv8

No, not really.

Howard has gone down and we haven't missed a beat because we had Dmo to step in and pick up his post ups. Dorsey/Black have been able to come in play defense, rebound and block shots.

If Curry goes down, the Warriors still have Thompson/Iggy/Barbosa to do alot of the playmaking and shooting.

If Lebron goes down, Cavs still have Irving who can create offense with his ball handling.

The Rockets simply don't have a high usage replacement for what Harden brings. Losing Harden is going to hurt us far far worse than those other teams and their guys.

16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Irrelevant because, like I said, and you agreed to. Those teams won't be making the playoffs anyway if any of those guys go down. So they might now lose as much, but they are gonna lose regardless

17. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

That doesn't mean that those teams would continue to win. I agree that what the Rockets need is another playmaker. They miss that with Lin gone, but any team that loses their best player is going to have a rough time.

18. larsv8

Its not irrelevant, nor does playoff participation have any bearing on this argument.

This is a comparison of the depth of one team vs. another. If you are hell bent on playoffs, for whatever reason, fine, here is an alternate scenario.

If the Rockets and Warriors both come out of the gate like gangbusters and accumulate 60 wins with an identical schedule of 10 games remaining. Rockets and Warriors both decide to rest Curry and Harden for the final ten games. The Warriors are going to win more games than the Rockets.

The bottom line is that the Rockets are overly reliant on Harden and have no one else on the roster than come even close to producing what he does, even in small doses. The Warriors do.

19. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Well, it was Morey's decision for whatever reason. When in doubt I just side with Morey. It makes the decision easy.

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

There are no fool-proof rosters.

An injury to your best player will always be tough to deal with.

We could have 4 superstars and Clutchfans would still be clamoring for Morey to find "that fifth guy".

Two words: salary cap.