1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who's the worst player that can be the best player on a championship team?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rolyat93, Aug 20, 2012.

?

Which Semi-Star would be the best leader for a title team?

1. Iggy

12.3%
  2. Monta

1.3%
  3. Rudy Gay

7.1%
  4. Josh Smith

2.6%
  5. James Harden

12.3%
  6. Al Jefferson

3.2%
  7. Eric Gordon

1.3%
  8. Danny Granger

1.9%
  9. Lamarcus Aldridge

47.1%
  10. I'm an elitist and I think Hitler was awesome, but you need a superstar to win titles.

11.0%
  1. CCorn

CCorn Member

Aldridge is not a semi-star. Portland went from being a playoff team, to one of the worst teams in the league when he was out... While Kevin Love can't even make the playoffs.

2. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

I was going to vote Carmelo Anthony, but he's not one of the choices.

3. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Not eligible, he was considered a superstar at one point or another.

4. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

I disagree with you that Anthony or Bosh have ever been considered superstars. To me, superstar means top 4 or 5 players only. Right now, only LeBron, Durant, Dwight, and Paul are superstars in my book, with Wade possibly if healthy and back to his former self.

5. underrated015

underrated015 Member

L. aldridge is a rising player. too bad he plays on the cursed team in the blazers.

6. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

Nope. Tim Duncan is the best of all time but he's not better than him now and Dirk was better but he's not at his prime now. Top 3 are

K. Love
    LA
    Dirk

I know you probably want to say Griffin but no, just no.

7. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

does he not get pub, though?
    i could see that case 2 years ago. but after he got snubbed for the All Star game in 2011, everyone has been going over their heads trying to give him props.
    I'd say he's getting a bit overrated now.

it's hard to make a case for him as definite #2. Up there in top 5. But besides Love, you can make strong cases for Dirk, Pau, Bosh and Monroe.

Probably Duncan and KG if you considered them PFs, but at this point in their careers they are 5s and going to stay 5s, so I wouldn't rank them there.

8. Sleepy Flloyd

Sleepy Flloyd Member

Lol, I'd argue that Dirk and old ass KG are better forwards.

9. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

DOLLY PARTON.

10. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Give me Sam Cassell.

Dude was leading Garnett's Timberwolves to championship until he went down with injury.

11. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Who's better ? LMA has a great post game, range out to 18 feet, rebounds well, plays good position defense, and blocks a few shots here and there. I would gladly take him on this team no matter what direction we're headed, lottery or play offs.

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Iguodala. If they would have added a few pieces to that team in Phillie.

13. rwienert

rwienert Contributing Member

I'm not sure I agree. If you look at the combination of superstars and depth that OKC has, and Miami still handled them without a great deal of difficulty. OKC has a true superstar in Durant, another guy in Westbrook who's presumably too good to be on the OP's list, plus Harden and Ibaka, and other talented role players. I think depth is important, but when you have multiple superstars and all-star level players, it creates opportunities for lesser role-players to shine.

It's great to have a team that is 12 players deep, but only 5 can play at the same time and 8-9 in a sensible rotation. Lebron, Wade, and Bosh are capable of giving your 40+ minutes if there's something on the line. That doesn't leave a lot of room for the role players to be needed. I'm not totally sure, but if I had to pick, I think I'm going with Miami.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

That wouldn't really make much difference. Most of those guys are only talented at scoring & there's only 1 basketball. Having Granger or Rudy Gay stand around while Monta Ellis tries to go one on one isn't going to stretch the Heat very much. Plus there's nobody who can handle Bosh.

15. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

not sure Monta and Granger play much, tbh.
    Gay's an above average defender.

It's too bad the list doesn't have a real point guard.
    If I can't pick any other players, i guess I'd go with:

G Harden
    G Iggy
    SF Gay
    PF Smith
    C Aldridge
    Then Gordon and Jefferson as 6-7th men.

Harden, Gordon and Iggy would have to share play making duties.

It's a big fast lineup with solid defense.
    I'd be very confident vs. Miami. I think this team is way too talented and athletic on both ends for Miami to handle, not to mention depth.
    But this team also costs like 120 mil in player salaries, so......................

16. da_juice

da_juice Member

That be an interesting concept of a superteam. Instead of two or three superstars signing for less money- 12 semistars signing for less money. Put them in Milwaukee, have them beat the Heat and Lakers to get the ring, and make a movie about it.

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Tony Parker came close last year.

18. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Iggy has never been considered a Superstar, and usually teams will win without him. I feel like he's a super glue guy, does everything well, well enough to make the Olympic team, but aside from fantasy leagues, he doesnt get too high a praise.

19. Fefo

Fefo Member

2005- 2007 manu ginobili could lead a team to a champioship... he almost stole finals mvp from prime duncan on the detroit series, and he already lead teams to multiple championships ( olimpic gold medal, euroleague). He is a prove winner and leader.

20. da_juice

da_juice Member

What about Aron Affalo? He's on Dwight Howard's level.