1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who's the next champ from East?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by luminator, Jul 29, 2002.

1. luminator

luminator Member

Almost everyone would agree that there is almost no chance of a team from the Eastern Conference winning the 2003 NBA Finals. But what about in the future? I dont see any team that seems to be building toward a title within the next few years in the East. I have a feeling the NBA will have a situation like the NFL had in the 80's and 90's when the NFC won something like 13 super bowls in a row. To me, the only way the East will ever have a champ is if one of the good young guards (McGrady, Kidd, Carter, Iverson, Davis, or Allen) is teamed up with a dominant big man.

Right now, the Kings, Spurs, Mavs, T-Wolves and in the future the Rockets and Clippers seem to have better chances at the title in the next 5 years once the Lakers lose.

2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Keep your eye on the Pacers..;)

3. mfclark

mfclark Member

Orlando in 2003-2004 after they get a big man in the summer 2003 sweepstakes, whether Tim Duncan, Michael Olowokandi, Elton Brand, Jermaine O'Neal, or someone else. Heck, they may even make things tough on the west if their collection of big bodies can hold its own and Grant Hill is healthy, but that's (the former, not the latter) not terribly likely.

4. Stevie Francis

yeah its gonna be either orl, or ind.

5. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

Orlando is probably the only team out there capable of winning a championship in the next few years. With mcgrady and a healthy hill they might be the best team in the east. Now add a big man, like duncan or j. o'neil. and They will definitely be a legit team.

I'm not that high on indiana. Miller is getting old, i'm not sold on tinsley as a top flight point guard, bender hasn't shown anything in 3 years, and harrington is coming off of a season ending injury. O'neal is great and they have a ton of talent, but there is a reason they've underachieved.

If chicago has the real deal in curry, chandler and williams, they will be a legit contender in 3-4 years. They've actually rebuilt really nicely.

Teams like the nets, bucks and celtics will be favorites to win the east the next few years, but even so, i don't consider them championship contenders. They just don't have the big men to win a series against most west contenders (sa, la, port). But maybe if sac or dallas can get thru la, these east teams might have a chance against a more perimeter orientated team. Though i still think the west would win.

6. haven

haven Member

Miami would be my darkhorse.

Pacers or Nets seem the most likely.

I think the Celtics peaked. Pierce might get a bit better, but the rest of the team is headed downhill.

7. luminator

luminator Member

I'm thinking one of the better East teams needs to sign Duncan after next year to be able to win the championship. What about Duncan-Kidd?

8. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

9. tozai

tozai Member

Orlando if Hill is healthy
    Pacers if Isaiah can coach
    Bucks if Karl doesn't piss off everyone

10. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Celtics are sort of screwed, cap-wise. I'll go out on a limb and say the Nets repeat ECF next year. Pacers on the rise. Orlando -no way they get out from under that Grant Hill burden. Detroit - no. NY - no. The Hawks are rising, but not fearsome. Philly in decline. Bucks are a mess. Cleveland. Who'd I miss?

11. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I'd like to hear gettinbranded's thoughts on this discussion. :)

12. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Pacers, no doubt in my mind.

The only competition will probably be NJ and Orlando...but Orlando is not quite there, and Indy will get revenge from this year against the Nets.

Miami looks like the darkhorse.

13. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

I doubt that any east team will win the title in the next 5 years. The Lakers, Kings, and Spurs are way ahead of any eastern conference team.

14. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Does it really matter? I mean, really?

15. Stylez

Stylez Member

If Kendrick Brown can develop into a solid 3rd scoring option and for the Celtics in the next few years and Vin Baker gives them anything I could see them giving a perimiter Western team (Dallas) some serious competition in a finals matchup. Pierce is only in his 3-4 yr in the L and Brown is only 20-21 and they could be the next McGrady & Hill.

Speaking of M&H, if the Magic get Kandi or Duncan especially, they would be a FORCE in the NBA and could beat LA or SAC in my opinion.

No way the Pacers win the EC in the next 5yrs. Thomas is a terrible coach w/ a lot of overhyped and overrated youngsters. Bender has been in the league for 3yrs and still only shows flashes of all-star player potential. Harrington was playing better(but not spectacular) but he suffered a serious knee injury so who knows how he'll come back. Miller is getting old, Mercer is average, Arttest plays good D but takes WAY too many shots for someone who doesn't know how to shoot, and K-Mart showed that O'neil is not ready to be the man yet

The Bulls are a darkhourse IF theyre potentail "big 3" players come together (but only Curry played well in Summer League).

16. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

The Hawks baby!

17. Rocketman15

Rocketman15 Member

If the Nets or Orl. land Jermaine in 03-04 they will have the best chance otherwise Ind. does. Or if any Eastern Confrence Team can land Duncan they will get it.