1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who's the most overrated player in the L.?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Sir Geving, Apr 25, 2003.

1. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Wally because he thinks he's an all star when in fact is just an excellent roleplayer

Amare, only because the media hypes his game so much that it gives people a false idea of how talented the guy really is.

Yao, only because he made the all star's including as a starter, and received so much national media. He's a talented player no doubt and was given the spotlight this year being the first foreign player #1 pick, but he didn't deserve so much media attention, both good and bad. He'll be a great center throughout his career, but he didn't deserve all the hype he received this year. The numbers he put up, regardless of whether his teammates hindered his performance, just weren't deserving of all star national icon treatment.

Spreewell. This guy was hyped up to be the next MJ while MJ was still out on the floor playing. Sure enough the two matched up and MJ put up his usual numbers, while holding Spreewell to under 5 points and 0 productivity.

Harpring. Again another excellent role player but not deserving of all the hype he receives.

Shandon Anderson. I remember all the hype he received coming out of Utah, and how he stunk it up once leaving the city.

I'd like to add that very few of these players above asked to be hyped up so much and it's not their fault the media hypes them so much that they can't live up to almost impossible expectations, to the point where I have to view as overrated due to such impossible expectations.

#41 London'sBurning, Apr 27, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2003
  2. jli

jli Member

3. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Pippen, Rodman, and "good role players" don't compare to the Yankee-like team that the Lakers had in the 80s around Magic, or the great team that the Celts had around Bird in that same time period. The Bill Russell Celts team basically has their own wing of the Basketball Hall of Fame. Jordan has done the most with the smallest amount of help.

I never said he was the best player ever, I said he was the best scoring guard ever. There's a big difference there. I dont think anyone is clearly above Jordan though, only Magic and Wilt IMO can be associated with him.

4. Go_Spurs_Gooooo

Now: Malone, Jordan, Kobe, Shaq, Yao ming (probably the MOST overrated in quite some time! Has done nothing)

All-Time: Malone, Stockton, Olajuwon, Bill Russell, Jordan

5. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

heh

I don't think any one guy can be called the greatest player "without a doubt." They are all on a similar level...I just think that MJ was slightly above the rest.

Typical Spurs fan...trophy envy gettin' to ya?

6. Just B

Just B Member

Hey, they had that one fake championship during the lockout shortened season!;)

7. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Vince Carter - great dunker, but fair shooter.

8. Franchiseclutch

Malone and Stockton, who I hate, have been one of the best duos ever to play the game of basketball. Bill Russel, never saw him play, but geez man be serious, he was a beast. Jordan! Are You Serious???? Jordan is the greatest player to play the game of basketball ever.IMO! He made basketball what its is. And Olajuwon, for ANY1 to say Hakeem is/was overrated is a sign of ignorance. For all i know u maybe didnt see him play. But i think your just some spurs fan who saw Hakeem make Robinson look like a rookie in the playoffs and now wanna take out your frustration cause ur team cnt put away an 8th seed. Think be4 u speak PLZ!

9. austinrocket

austinrocket Member

Ben Wallace- I love the guy, but comeon, all he is really good for is blocked shots and boards. Alot of the boards coming becuase he is the only guy who can get them on his team. His D has been exposed as he has a tough time guarding the quicker center and the ones who play further away from the basket. He also has pretty much no offense.

Mike Bibby- Is a clutch player(well at least for last year) but is way overrated. just look at the stats.

10. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Et tu, David!?!?

Before injury had become a 40 % 3pt shooter...which Kobe, Iverson, T-Mac and MJ have never done.

11. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Well, maybe that he can't dominate like he did his 2nd and 3rd seasons. To me, he's turning out like Penny Hardaway and Grant Hill.

Hobbled by injuries. But still lead in All-Star votes (Hill). Overrated.

He has a strange body too. Short legs, but long arms and torso. He's the same height at Jordan, but doesn't have the stride that Jordan had...

Carter and Francis have near identical vertical leaps, but Francis is 3 inches shorter. So, Carter seems to jump higher.

#51 DavidS, Apr 29, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2003
  12. LakerMania

LakerMania Member

:eek:

I'd love to hear this guy's underrated list.

13. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Rasheed Wallace. How can a guy that tall, jump that high and have that kind of explosion never grab 10 rebs per game?

14. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Its in the underrated thread.

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

He also thinks the Beastie Boys are the greatest rappers all-time.

16. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

And we still have them beat(Though, in my opinion, that title is not tainted...Everyone else had a chance at those rings too, so...).

17. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Music is subjective. There is no greatest rapper of all time. My faves are the Beaties, therefor to me the Beasties are the greatest. QED

18. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

hakeem is not overrated!

19. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

The entire New Boston Celtic Team (as a team)

Jay Williams

Steve Francis

Richard Jefferson (watchout hen Kidd leaves.)

Sam Cassel

Just my opinion