1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who's going to be the first player or team to protest during the anthem?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RV6, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If it weren't for Malcom x scaring the crap out of white people do you think they would have been more receptive to MLK?

2. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

They announced that NFL viewer ratings are down over 10% this year, anyone think it's viewer reaction to NFL players disrespecting the National Anthem and our flag? Let's see if something similar happens to the NBA ratings and League Pass subscriptions if we have large scale protests during the playing of the National Anthem.

3. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Malcolm X did very little to affect the white population at all actually. His role was similar to a 3rd party in politicia. He fractured what would have been a fully supported MLK, into another, more deadly, sect.

The question is, was the publicity from the outside worth the fragmentation from within? Malcolm X himself towards the end of his life believed it wasn't.

There are solutions to the problems facing America, and I have incredible admiration for whoever decided that unity was more apt than turning their backs on the most diverse nation in existence.

At the end of the day, BLM doesn't have a leader. There is no Malcolm X, and there's certainly no MLK. The worst part is, there never will be, because anyone that achieves that level of education realizes that the problem is purely socio-economic, rather than racist.

People hate ghetto culture (not just whites). Do you fix that by helping black people? No. My boss makes 600k a year, and doesn't want help. You fix it by helping poor people.

4. ksny15

ksny15 Member

No officials have just ruined the game

5. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Last night I saw a 49er, I think it was Hyde, beast out some extra yardage and take a shot at the end of the play. When he was getting up 2-3 Arizona players were barking at him. He flexed his muscles in response to their **** talk. He got a 15 yard penalty and the next one throws him out of the game. I thought it was crazy!

Jontro likes this.
  6. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

If I was Carmelo Anthony is protest my team

7. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

If I was Carmelo Anthony I would eat a ****ing salad

malakas, Nook, J.R. and 1 other person like this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

9. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

No one.

NBA players are thankful that they can make a big a$$ living playing bouncy ball.

And, it's easy to get bounced out of the league or endrosements.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. Rokman

Rokman Member

12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Silver telling people what their morals should be is disgusting.

13. BackdoorHarden

I was right! Draymond was the first to take a knee to a player in the Ball.

Only in the preseason, and he took a knee to a Blazer players!!! When will this crap stock?

Hashtag: #BlueBlackBallsMatter

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Silver expects NBA players to stand during national anthem

NEW YORK (AP) — Adam Silver expects NBA players to continue standing for the national anthem.

Not only because it’s a league rule, but because they are aware of what it means in what the commissioner believes is a divided America.

“Many of our players have spoken out already about their plan to stand for the anthem,” Silver said Thursday. “And I think they understand how divisive an issue it is in our society right now.”

Silver said the playing of the national anthem has always been a time for respect and reflection — even in a league where 25 percent of the players are not American — and recalled that many teams locked arms last season.

He wants them to continue showing unity during the anthem — but to do it while standing.

“It’s been a rule as long as I’ve been involved with the league, and my expectation is that our players will continue to stand for the anthem,” he said.

Silver didn’t say what would happen if any players refuse to stand, adding: “If that were to happen, we’ll deal with it when it happens.”

The board also talked about current events, meeting less than a week after President Donald Trump opted against inviting the Warriors to the White House after All-Star Stephen Curry said he didn’t want to go.

Trump had criticized NFL players for their anthem protests in a speech the night before, and hundreds responded in games Sunday and Monday by kneeling during the anthem.

Silver thinks NBA players have other opportunities, either by continuing their community service efforts or through the media, to make their voices heard.

“I’m hoping once again that this league can play a constructive role there,” Silver said.

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Silver expects Lower Bowl corporate fans to miss the national anthem

NEW YORK (AP) — Adam Silver expects corporate fans in the lower bowl to continue missing the national anthem.

Not only because it’s more convenient than going to their seats and standing, but because they are aware of what it means to honor the national anthem in what the commissioner believes is a divided America....and they don't care.

“Many of our corporate fans have spoken out already about their plan to show up late or stay in the club area to buy expensive food and booze,” Silver said Thursday. “And I think they understand how divisive an issue it is in our fans watching at home right now.”

Silver said the playing of the national anthem has always been a good time to stand in line at the concessions — even in a league where the 25% of the expensive seats are catered.

He wants them to continue doing what they want during the anthem — but try to stock up on merchandise, food and drinks before the tip.

“It’s been a strategy as long as I’ve been involved with the league, and my expectation is that our corporate fans will continue to miss the anthem,” he said.

Silver didn’t say what would happen if any privileged fans start standing for the anthem and not in the exclusive club restaurant lines or NBA Stores, adding: “If that were to happen, we’ll deal with it when it happens.”​

16. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Lmao

17. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

what does it mean? siding with trump and bigots? i don't understand. people could be mad so let's not do it. it feels like he means it could lead to lower ratings and less money so let's take the easy "actions are more important" way out. for a progressive (north carolina all-star game) and seemingly player-friendly commissioner, it seems like a weird statement as opposed to a "we'll respect whatever the players do" statement. granted, lebron already basically said the "actions are more important" thing so maybe nba players just don't have the stomach for it.

and i also realize at some point it will have to stop. not only will the emotional impact wear off after a while, but there's no day that racism will be over and you can stop. maybe no one wants to commit to essentially kneeling forever. but it does seem that with the nba season (or even pre-season) so close to the controversy that a league-wide response like from the nfl would be in order for the first game/few games.

ok, that's hilarious.

18. OTMax

OTMax Member

Wtf, Is this for real? So corporate or ‘privileged’ people are not even allowed to stand??

Also Silver is coming off as a complete dick, not open minded and aware at all. **** the national anthem and the pressure Silver is trying to put on players. Siding with Trump, what a coward... Now I want guys to sit even more!! No one is going to do it though..

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Of course it's real. @heypartner is a staple here at Clutchfans and is not fake news.

20. OTMax

OTMax Member

Are you for real? I’m not questioning news, I’m taken aback by it!