1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who's going to be the first player or team to protest during the anthem?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RV6, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The NFL takes a lot of advertising money from the US Armed Forces. I don't think they invest as much in the NBA. So... probably not as big of a deal. It would also be less of a story. The media manufactures storylines in a big way for the NFL. The NBA? Meh.

2. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

I think the first people to take a knee during the NBA regular season will be.... Lebron James, J.R. Smith and Carmelo Anthony. Maybe Kyrie and Love join them.

3. Raz

Raz Member

Remember when Dion Waiters stayed in the Locker Room during the National Anthem and nobody made a big deal out of it?

4. sixthman6

sixthman6 Member

You do realize the season is about to start soon? Preseason is in about a week... The "fad" is just catching steam in the NFL.. I really doubt it'll abruptly stop soon.

5. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Do they play anthem during preseason? You are right if so, it won't die that soon.

6. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Well I also prefer kneeling over beating the wife, but I don't think it has to be one or the other.

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Corey Brewer in training camp.

So he can get on both knees and earn his playing time from Mike D'Antoni, just like how he got his playing time from JBBitch.

LCAhmed, Snow Villiers and Von Rafer like this.
  8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

/Rekt

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Overly dramatic. In my opinion, a lot of problems come from when we idolize and care about athletes/celebrities as more than what they are. Between the two extremes is the truth - they're people just like you and I. The fact that they have a bunch of cameras in their face means they have extra influence, but it doesn't always have the consequences they intend with their own agendas. Anyway ---

My question is not whether players should or shouldn't kneel - I think they should be able to peacefully 'protest' as they please. I'm sort of indifferent to the idea of kneeling.

My question is what do they think they will accomplish? Is awareness of this issue among sports fans going to decrease the amount of violent / idiotic cops? I'm just wondering what the more enthusiastic proponents of kneeling think is the end-goal.

10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Chris Paul, big statement as the player's union rep. Then everyone follows suit pretty quickly. The denial that the black lives matter movement is 'nothing' starts to disintegrate.

11. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Well put, imo. I think there's romantic similarity to segregation sit-ins. But obvious differences also. Those protests directly targeted the issue and there was clear endgame. You get everyone to sit, you win. You get everyone to kneel, and what. You draw some attention to yourself, you annoy some people who probably agree with you (on the real issue). The talk becomes much more about kneeling than the real issue.

12. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

13. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

He would still suspend the whole team, just not at the same time. There is precedence in the Knicks Heat series that players got suspended but not all for the next game. They will let the team have enough players to suit up for each game.

14. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

If any team does it, I can see it being Charlotte. Since MJ has come out finally spoken up.
    I hope it's the warriors, cuz the NBA doesn't have the balls to suspend them. Not their darlings.

BigMaloe likes this.
  15. juanm34

juanm34 Member

I'm going with Chris Paul

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I am thinking Melo. It should be CP3 since he is the head of NBAPA. It might be Thabo Sefolosha.

#36 Air Langhi, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  17. Major

Major Member

Athletes and their symbolic protests have a long history of helping push forward change in this country - everything from simple gestures like raising a fist at the Olympics to more significant stands with consequences like Muhammed Ali's protests against Vietnam.

18. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Honestly, I think Charlotte as an entire team would be a very powerful message and act. This is currently the hot bed of angst, but does it change to Washington before the preseason starts?

I don't think there will be a first player, because I believe there will be multiple kneels during the very first day of ball. Everyone wanted to marytr kaepernick and that's fine, but he has brought serious awareness to the issue. If it reaches, let's say Lebron, well that is extremely significant and more powerful. Simply because of his stature. He's one of the top sports figures in the world if not the top.

19. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

Probably a non starter who doesn't contribute

I also think CP3, melo, and Westbrook based on Instagram comments

20. Sanity2disChaos

Just hush.