1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who would you trade for a power forward?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Dec 12, 1999.

Tags:
  1. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

Popeye-Bullard, Mack, Walt, and a draft pick for Theo? You gotta be kidding. As long as the pick ain't this year, hell ya! Theo may be injured now, but he'll solidfy the PF spot for years to come. Not to mention we don't lose Drew, our PG backup, or Mobley, our spark off the bench, or Rogers either. Essentially we trade our shooters away.

[This message has been edited by rocketsfan34 (edited December 12, 1999).]

2. napster

napster Member

The Rox need a PF that can board, play d, be able to stop Duncan/Garnett, score, block, steal, yodel, be able to sing the national anthem of 8 different countries while drinking a glass of water while upside down, play all positions, be a future hall of famer, lead the Rox to the Finals, run for president AND win, and be a great motivator in the locker room. I think we can get him with a combination of Walt, Drew, Mobley, and Bullard.

3. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Love of Olive Oil's life(scary)LOL,
    It would be tough your right,but I would put Mobes in to get TAYLOR and Nesby.
    This being said,If we could get Ratliff without giving up Cat,this would be the deal that I would prefer.Hell,he's under contract for a long time at a great price.7 mil/yr. is nothing for a player of his caliber for the life of that contract.
    As far as Jamison,I always thought he would have a hard time getting his shot off in the NBA.Has his perimeter and medium range game improved to the point of people having to respect them?AJ is pretty much a tweener isn't he? Hardy Har Har

4. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

isn't Sf a more pressing problem right now? We have plenty of big guys to platoon at PF(TMass, K Thomas, Devin Gray, Rogers). No way are we gonna get a star PF. And Rudy aint gonna part with Cat, him and Francis have been the only ones holding this team to somewhat respectable scores.

Has anyone actually seen Ratliff play? He aint that good, and he is not worth mobes. Ratliff sux on offense, which is what we need. And im not sold on Mo Taylor, i dont think he would be the answer.

Maybe we can get someone in the draft, or maybe a F.A. next year ....

5. haven

haven Member

I think that Jamison can play the 3. I haven't seen much of him, but he seems to have improved from last year.

6. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I would prefer "C" over all of them, no question.

Jamison: I wouldn't give up Mobley for him, he is not worth that much. I hate his game too. Guys, Antawn Jamison is NOT a small forward. He is a power forward in a small forward's body, and that is the worst combination. He can't play in the open court, is a terrible ball handler, and can't shoot. All he can do is use his college-pf postup skills, and that is not worth Mobley. Sorry, but I'll pass on this.

Taylor: No thanks. He looks out of shape and is a horrid defender. Antawn freakin Jamison lit him for 40...pathetic. What's more is that Falk will demand nothing less than the max for him, and right now he is not worth anything close that. If I could have the slim, in-shape Mo Taylor of last year, I might do the deal, but this year's Taylor doesn't impress me at all. Much rather have Mobley. On the other hand, if we didn't have to give up Mobley, I would think about it.

Ratliff: Hands down, this is the way to go. He may not have very defined low-post skills, but he is an excellent defender and has a nice medium range jumpshot. If we are going backcourt heavy, we need good defenders in the frontcourt and Rat is the perfect guy to compliment Cato. We wouldn't even have to give up Mobes, from what Pops says. Guys, getting Ratliff and being able to keep Mobley is an absolute steal. Think about it. We would be set for years. Then, this summer, we would have the pf position solved, and we could use our lotto pick on a sf.

7. rocketsfan34

Cabbage-my point...not to mention Drew isn't traded either.

8. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would think any trade to get Ratliff would definitely have to include Drew.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I would trade Steve Francis for Lamar Odom, or Vince Carter.

I like Francis, ALOT ! However, I think we would win faster with talented big people.

DaDakota

10. rocketsfan34

Cabbage-the more I think about it, the Theo trade is most logical. Basically we would have our frontcourt set and target a SF for the draft. I'm sure Rudy noticed this year's draft is loaded with SFs and maybe that's why he didn't pull the trigger on McGrady.

11. thacabbage

I don't understand how the salaries would match up in a deal like that. Popeye, can you clarify?

From what Popeye posted, I don't understand how it would work cap-wise.

Kittles$8mill+Walt$5mill+Drew$5mill+Mack$3mill ---> Philadelphia

Hughes$3mill ---> New Jersey

Ratliff$7mill ---> Houston

So Philadelphia drops $3mill and gains $21 million (that doesnt work!)

New Jersey drops $8mill and adds $3 mill.

Houston drops Walt's $5mill and Drew's $3 mill = $8 mill, and gains $7mill.

The only team that makes sense is Houston, the others don't work.

Maybe I misunderstood your post Pops, could you clarify?

12. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Maybe those other teams arent over the cap like us Cabbage. If we could get Ratliff AND keep mobes, that would be a steal. But i dont think mobes for Ratliff would ever happen.

That would be a great deal if it could come to pass though, but wouldn't Philly be stupid for letting one of their few Post players go? I wouldn't understand that, but stranger things have happened.

------------------
    now -WE- are the underdogs

13. Finalfantasy

Finalfantasy Member

Theo Ratliff is playing like a piece of junk this season, Mo Taylor may suck as well but definitely better than him. Just look at Theo's stats you will agree with me.

14. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

According to theDreamShake99's post on the Rockets' salary cap situation, Bryce Drew's salary is only around 1 million as opposed to 5 million. If this is the case, the numbers of Popeye's proposed Ratliff would be more like this:

Williams 5mil + Drew 1mil + Mack 3mil = 8mil

Ratliff = 7mil

The numbers still don't work:

Houston gives up about 7 mil and get about 7 mil.

New Jersey gives up 8 mil and gets 3 mil.

Philadelphia gives up 10 mil and gets 16 mil.

Perhaps Popeye meant that New Jersey would end up with Walt, which would make this work well.

Is this all just speculation or are Philly and Houston actually talking? If Philly is really shopping Ratliff, couldn't LA offer them Horry and a pick. Horry's got a shot and defense, and Ratliff would seemingly complete LA's championship lineup.

By the way, I don't know if I like giving up both Drew and a pick for a guy who appears to have the same strengths and weaknesses as our center, Cato, anyway. Of course, that's just from looking at the stat sheet. You guys are probably alot more familiar with his game. You replace Drew with Bullard, and I'm game. Of course, there would be no way Philly would go with that deal!

15. BryceDrewFan

BryceDrewFan Member

I say Kelvin Cato(they need a center!) Carlos Rogers Walt Williams and a 2002 draft pick. Throw T-Mass (they need a PF since Terry Cummings is getting very old!!) For Antwan Jamison and Jason Caffey. Sure Jamison is still young. BUT WE ARE REBUILDING RIGHT? Plus gives us cap room to maybe sign a couple back ups maybe. First of all lets see what we draft first I don't say it should be this year. If we pick up a good PF then no. If we pick up a good Center yes.

16. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Well, actually Philly could keep Williams and the nonlottery pick. Bullard and Mack could be shipped with Hughes to New Jersey for Kittles. That's a fair deal for all parties, and I would be very interested in that provided Theo's not damaged goods. What's the story with this injury that's kept him out so long? Is it his ankle or his knees? If it's his knees, I would say he may not even be worth the pick. Still worth Williams, Mack, and Bullard for sure!

17. thacabbage

How could his stats suck this season when he hasn't even played yet this year? If he has, he was playing through injury because I know he has atleast missed most of the season.

Also, something else to look at. Rat's scoring numbers have never been high, because he is not a scorer. What we need is solid defense, and he provides that. Why would you want Mo Taylor? He may put up 16+ a game, but he is a terrible defender, and at power forward, he averages a measly 5-6 boards. Add in the fact that he will be asking for the maximum..

[This message has been edited by thacabbage (edited December 13, 1999).]

18. Finalfantasy

Finalfantasy Member

Ratliff played 7 games this season, avaraged 33.4 MPG, shooting at 38%, grabbed 6.7 rebounds per game. That's quite eye-grabbing numbers for a center/pf in a bad way. Was injuries bugging him? His FTs and shotblocking are pretty good though. SO that means he is a defensive minded pf and Mo Taylor an offensive one. I just think Mo Taylor will continue to develope. Overall I will take Mo Taylor.

[This message has been edited by Finalfantasy (edited December 13, 1999).]

19. thacabbage

FinalFantasy:

Ok, I can understand you wanting Taylor over Ratliff....but, throw in the fact that to get Taylor you would have to throw in Mobley. Does that change your stand on things?

Taylor:
    Pros:
    offense
    Cons:
    sucks at defense
    $9 million after this year
    would have to give up Mobley

Ratliff:
    Pros:
    defense
    won't have to give anything of real value
    less $ than Taylor
    Cons:
    sucks at offense

20. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

Is one player "sucking less" than another really the criteria we want to use when looking for players to rebuild with?