1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who would you trade for a power forward?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Dec 12, 1999.

Tags:
  1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm just interested to see where everyone stands here and why.
    I would think that a package of Drew and (and I hate to deal any of these guys,but?)
    Rogers or Thomas could bring us a quality PF and perhaps if the deal was right a backup point.Hopefully they would take Walt and his salary too!Don't forget about Mack.Who would you try to acquire?

[This message has been edited by Hardwood Hammer (edited December 11, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Hardwood Hammer (edited December 11, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Hardwood Hammer (edited December 12, 1999).]

2. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Taking on Walt and his contract is an entirely different proposition. If the Rockets insist on that condition, it could cancel the deal or force the Rcokets to throw in another steady player to appease the other team.

A PF with:

1. a decent postup game

2. 9 - 10 boards a game

3. able to guard Duncan

4. does not have any "problems"
    (legal, drug, attitude...etc)

5. can be gotten for Drew and Walt

If you come up with a PF that fits the above description, let CD and Rudy know the name
    because I can't think of it.

Mango

3. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Mango:

Kevin Garnett is not up for trade at this moment.

4. Plowman

Supporting Member

The clipper's Mo Taylor can be had and we have the talent to push that deal through.
    No he can't guard Duncan but he's turning into a helluva player.Theo Ratliff's another guy I wouldn't mind the Rocks going after.

5. Mango

thacabbage,

LOL

Might have to throw in TMass to get the Wolves interested.

Mango

6. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I really disagree that any quality PF will be avaialable. That is until we are willing to give our future up (Francis, Anderson, Mobley, Cato) or until someone is out of the playoffs.

Why would someone give up qualit for Drew (who is playing great) and Thomas/Rogers. Most teams with a good PF are still in contention, except the Clippers, and they will not give up the playoffs for a backup PF, and backup PF.

Sorry guys but i don't think we can get quality w/o giving up quality at this point in the season.

7. Plowman

Supporting Member

Taylor is young and Ratliff is not that much older.I guess in a deal like that you'd have to ask yourself if you can part w/Cat or not................tough call

8. Mango

I wouldn't mind seing Cato and Hmilton on the court at the same time. Let Hamilton postup and pass if in a halfcourt situation.
    Cato would be roaming the weakside for backdoor plays. Have uptempo players at the other three spots to run if possible and have Cato be the trailer because it sure won't be Hamilton. Hamilton had a good touch on the long outlet pass off the defensive glass.

Mango

9. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

HH-
    Cat is a streaky player. I personally like him. He could be a star, but then we do have depth at the 2 and if we could get a good 4 I say we do it. However i don't think a good 4 will be available.
    I think we may have a qualkity 4 in T-Mass. He plays hard, but we will need a scorer form the 4 or 5 in the future.
    I would have trouble trading Cat for anyone less than a 15 pt - 10 rbs guy (or potential player of this caliber). They are tough to come by!

10. DaneB

DaneB Member

We should trade for Antawn Jamison. We could probably trade Walt Williams and Tony Massenburg for him, along with some $. This would be a great pickup for us because he is averaging around 17ppg and 8 rebounds per game. This would help fill in the void left by Barkley. True, we wouldn't have a SF, but can easily pick someone up since we will be a lottery team. Next year, I think Anderson should mainly play SF and Mobley should start. Then we should also draft a SG to back him up. Then we should be around a .500 team.

11. mhan

mhan Member

the only problem with trying to trade for a quality pf is that the rockets don't have nearly enough trade bait to go for one. other teams are looking for pf's as well, the most obvious of which would be the lakers. they are willing to give up rice and change for a good pf, and the rocks don't have anything to match that. if you were a gm and you were deciding between rice and change and walt williams and bryce drew, who would you take?

12. napster

napster Member

DaneB:Tmass/Walt Williams will never get you Antawn Jamison. Think about how it affects THEM. If you had Antawn Jamison, would you trade him for Tmass(what has he done exactly)/Wizard (the dude stinks).

13. Stevie Wonder

Stevie Wonder Member

I think the Isreali Nationl Team needs a shooter maybe we can trade Walt to them.

------------------
    Stevie Wonder says "they call him FRANCHISE because his dunks are for sale at an arena near you."

14. popeye

popeye Member

Couple of things:

1. Jamison, Ratlif and Taylor are the short list that I would have come up with also. Thay are available. Meaning within the last month, their respective teams have approached other teams about possible offers.

2. No way is TMass and Walt as a single trade in the same neighborhood ... if we really seriousily want to attract the above players. T.Mass is gifted but because he is perennially injured and carries a low price tag he would have to be teamed with someone else of worth who has a high price tag to get any attention. Walt because he is playing sporadically( thought I would be kind here) and has a hefty price tag. He would have to be buddied with someone a particular talent or potential but who has a low price tag.

3. Consequent to the above, two factors: TMass should be either kept for future play or trade. Walt needs to be matched with either Carlos, Cuttino(I doubt they trade him this year, not the way RT has been talking lately), or Bryce Drew in conjunction with our ace in the hole ... Sam Mack. This trade fodder could challenge for any of the above guys in a three Rocket player swap for one of the PF boys above plus another to make it work.

4. If it is trade scenarios you want, look no farther than the Warriors, the Sixers or the Clippers.

(a)Warriors: They are on the verge of wholesale restructuring, probably starting with PJ Carlesimo. Although Jamison is consistent (in a Warriors way) he may be auctioned real quick for some warm and active bodies. Mack, Drew, Carlos and maybe even Walt in some combo? Starks/Jamison for a three or four pack may not be out of the question.Especially if they throw in PJ as our assistant coach. LOL

(b)Clips: They are trying to get somewhere,that is evident. But to get there, they need some meat on the bench and they do not need Taylor right now to take it to the next level. They have enough with Odom and O'kandi, et al. They need some role players who perform consistently. Don't laugh, but guys like Bullard are a lot harder to come by than most people think. He is coachable, does what he is told, produces off the bench, and establishes the scoring threat at his position for most of the ten minutes that he plays every night. Clips would kill for that right now. IMHO, Taylor can be had right now. IMHO, Sam Mack, Walt, Drew (may take Mobes???) and maybe one other (Bullard??) can get Taylor and Nesby(who I really like).

(c)Sixers: Okay so they finally said Hughes will be traded. The best kept non-secret in the NBA. But for the Net's Kittles???? The disparity in salaries means another team must be involved if the Nets want to jump on Hughes. That gives us an opportunity to flush Ratlif out. I think the heavy tag of Ratlif($7+M) matches well with Walt's $4.5M and one other (say Bullard @ $2M) and a pick.If push came to shove and it was a deal breaker,Larry Brown likes Mack. A Walt/Mack/Bullard combo is doable. Why would they do a three-way including Rat? Sixers Reasons: Ratlif's contract goes to 2005, Walt's is less and goes to 2002. They have some inside help, they need another three threat if Hughes is gone. They like Kittles, they don't want Hughes and anyone would be an improvement. Hill is back. Geiger is back. Rockets Reasons: It allows them to move a position player who is not performing. Ratlif is not as defensive a liabilityas Walt. Allows them to get a good PF for the four and move a 3 position out and maybe sign Mack to that spot. It legitimately allows them to be more well rounded and competitive (match-up-wise with Hakeem, TMass, Hamilton, Cato, Carlos, Ratlif, and K.Thomas) at the forward postions (3/4/5). More estabalished at the 1/2 with Francis/Drew/Mobley @ the one ... and ... Shandon/Mobley/Mack @ the two.

{I have purposefully left out Devan Gray, because I have no idea what they have in mind for him.}

That's my assessment anyway. [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by popeye (edited December 12, 1999).]

15. Plowman

Supporting Member

THANK YOU POPEYE!I'll take B or C for a title soon please.
    Which is it guys A,B,or C ?
    I hate the idea of giving up Cat,but.........we might not have to.

16. popeye

popeye Member

Hey HardywoodenBrain

My Most Favorite: "B" I love this combo and would give Walt, Bullard, Mack and Drew or Mobes to get them. If both Nesby and Taylor were included it would likly take the inclusion of Mobes. I would really hurt giving him up, especially now.

The Most Possible: "A" the key here of course is we fill two immediate needs with capable people. Starks is out of his shooting slumpo with 27pts the other night. Biggest problem is convincing John "give me the damn ball" Starks that he is needed as a distributor and solid supporter only. Jamison I have liked off and on for sometime. Guess he's on right now. I also like his contract and his 3/4 play-abilities. Is it just me, or is he kind of a cross between King's C Webb and say, Utah's Russell?

Probably The One That Is Being Discussed with CD and Rudy ... Right Now: "C" I have kinda switched on this a bit over the last couple of days. Mainly because I think with the Hughes for Kittles trade out of the basket, it makes perfect sense that this trade will be beneficial to all around. I would bet Larry wants this done now. Right now. And we may have tyhe advantage that others do not. We may have some expendables that would help him. But you could not say, Bullard, Walt and Mack was expensive to us for Rat. It is a shame but we may lose Mack in this and I was kinda counting on him if we lost another 3(Walt)for a 4(Rat) position. But we get to keep Mobley and Rudy relies on Mobley considerably now.

Just for Grins:

A lineup of:

Hakeem/Taylor/Nesby/Anderson/Francis is formidable.

A bench of:

Cato/Carlos/K Thomas/Mack/Drew is pretty thick too.

Backup Play of:

T.Hamilton/TMass/Gray/Veteran Guard

17. bballfanatic

bballfanatic Member

First, lol, I am not a real knowledgeable person as far as trades - haven't even noticed Mo Taylor play. Recall Ratliff being pretty good. Jamison is not much more than a rookie right?

I really don't want to panic right now. I agree we need a PF with CB gone even though Carlos is playing really well and Kenny Thomas looks pretty good. Might have to wait and see after TMass and Dream come back. I mean won't Cato go to the 4 when Dream comes back? Of course, if yall are looking toward the future after Dream is gone and not right now, I don't think we should trade now but wait till we have cap money after Dream is gone and get a good PF while Cato is center. I don't know much though so please don't laugh too hard.

Drew is leading the team well out there as far as getting everyone involved but I would rather lose him than Cuttino. A backcourt of Cuttino, Shandon and Stevie is really enticing to me.

If (c) is doable (man, Bull is playing good and one of our few veterans), I think I would like Theo Ratliff for Walt, Bull and a pick and throw in Mack, if necessary. What would we do for a back-up 3 for Shandon, although they don't seem to play Shandon at the 3, if we throw in Mack? Guess they would find somebody.

Otherwise, (b) without Cuttino sounds pretty good too. Mack, Drew and Walt and maybe Bull for Taylor is a lot but I might do that. What position is Nesby? (Makes me feel so disloyal!)

I'm not even down on (a) but don't know enough about Antawn Jamison - somehow I think we would have to give up too much for him. And I don't want P.J. as assistant, lol.

We probably need to wait a little unless a really good deal comes along. Like I said, I think with Dream and TMass back, it will make a difference if they can stay healthy that is.

18. bballfanatic

bballfanatic Member

P.S. Thanks Popeye for educating and sharing with us "regular" people!

19. Bluto Basher. Great insight my main man.

I thought Id try and go through what it might take to aquire a few of these guys.

1. Mo Taylor is assuradely going to ask for the max after this season. Right around 9 million.

What it would take.
    include Mack in a sign and trade, around 3 million, Resign Mobley to around 5 million, and Drew at 1 million. Thats a package that fills some of the Clipps needs.

2. Antawn Jamison is in only his second year. Still under his rookie contract. With little room to move as far as salary goes.

What it would take.

Before Mobley's contract runs out the deal would have to be made. A package of Mobley, Kenny Thomas, and Bryce Drew. Not sure if this quite fits salary wise, but the Warriors could throw in a filler.

I don't want to go into Ratliff, the Rox already have his younger brother in Cato.

20. napster

napster Member

I'm almost sure that the Kittles for Hughes trade will not work. They NEED a 3rd party and that alone makes it unlikely. Hughes is a great talent, and although he and his coach have their differences, it is not so severe as to Hughes demanding a trade. This may just be me, but I think Taylor might resign with the Clips. Odom has gained a lot of trust from the owner, and he wants Taylor back. Do I think Taylor is worth the max? No. Do I think he will get paid the max? Yes. I'm not quite sure on Antawn Jamison, but I personally don't feel he is available. I have no idea about Nesby.