1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who Would You Rather Have: Odom, or DA+D-Wes+Juwan?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Biggienaz786, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Biggienaz786

Biggienaz786 Member

i posted this in another thread, but it was a Francis thread, and I don't want it to get overlooked/lost, b/c if any of you are like me, you must be getting tired of all the talk about bringing Stevie back here.

anyway, here's the post. comments & critique welcome. flamers not welcome.

this is a little different version of that:
    Houston Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing
    Derek Anderson
    6-5 SG from Kentucky
    10.8 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 2.6 apg in 29.1 minutes
    Juwan Howard
    6-9 PF from Michigan
    10.9 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 1.4 apg in 31.0 minutes
    David Wesley
    6-1 SG from Baylor
    10.9 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 3.0 apg in 35.2 minutes
    Incoming
    Lamar Odom
    6-10 SF from Rhode Island
    13.9 ppg, 9.2 rpg, 5.3 apg in 39.2 minutes
    Change in team outlook: -18.7 ppg, -4.2 rpg, and -1.7 apg.

L.A. Lakers Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing
    Lamar Odom
    6-10 SF from Rhode Island
    13.9 ppg, 9.2 rpg, 5.3 apg in 39.2 minutes
    Incoming
    Juwan Howard
    6-9 PF from Michigan
    10.9 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 1.4 apg in 31.0 minutes
    Quentin Richardson
    6-6 SG from DePaul
    7.9 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 1.6 apg in 25.7 minutes
    Change in team outlook: +4.9 ppg, +1.2 rpg, and -2.3 apg.

Orlando Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing
    Steve Francis
    6-3 PG from Maryland
    16.3 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 5.7 apg in 37.9 minutes
    Incoming
    Derek Anderson
    6-5 SG from Kentucky
    10.8 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 2.6 apg in 29.1 minutes
    David Wesley
    6-1 SG from Baylor
    10.9 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 3.0 apg in 35.2 minutes
    Jamal Crawford
    6-5 SG from Michigan
    14.0 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 4.0 apg in 33.4 minutes
    Change in team outlook: +19.4 ppg, +5.4 rpg, and +3.9 apg.

New York Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing
    Jamal Crawford
    6-5 SG from Michigan
    14.0 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 4.0 apg in 33.4 minutes
    Quentin Richardson
    6-6 SG from DePaul
    7.9 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 1.6 apg in 25.7 minutes
    Incoming
    Steve Francis
    6-3 PG from Maryland
    16.3 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 5.7 apg in 37.9 minutes
    Change in team outlook: -5.6 ppg, -2.4 rpg, and +0.1 apg.

Successful Scenario
    Due to Houston, L.A. Lakers, Orlando and New York being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Houston, L.A. Lakers, Orlando and New York had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Trade ID
    Every trade made by fans is allocated a unique Trade ID which you can share with friends and fellow basketball fans to allow them to see your trade scenario. The Trade ID for this scenario is 2985479.

basically, rox get odom. NY gets stevie. orlando gets d-wes, DA, & jamal crawford. and LA gets juwan and q-rich.

this isn't the greatest deal, but everyone gets a little happier. this is more like a change-of-scenery deal for all the players involved, with talent matched up roughly well.
    Rockets dump DA, and basically trade Juwan and D-wes for odom. more on that at the end.
    NY finally gets stevie [i'm not sure why they're chasing him so hard, except for marketing $$].
    LA gets juwan to replace their odom experiment, and gets q-rich the 'sharpshooter' to hit shots after defenders collapse on kobe.
    Orlando dumps steve's contract, and gets 3 SGs, 2 with expiring contracts. crawford is a more than formidable '2' guard, and there'd finally be no fighting about what position that player is going to play. plus, they get some veteran help with d-wes, and also get the financial flexibility with which to possibly add someone to dwight howard come summertime, with DA's and Wesley's contracts expiring.

Overpriced Lamar Odom or Slow-n-Steady Juwanna Man? that's the question everyone is wondering. according to HoopsHype, Odom's contract is aaaaaaaaaaaaalmost exactly double of Juwan's contract, year-to-year. so is it worth it? i say yes. considering that lamar is also taking up wesley's and DA's contract space, who are coming off the books anyway, i say it's a good investment. it's likely that wesley won't be resigning here next year considering the trade rumors that followed him the last couple years. and we're getting rid of DA anyway.
    odom can do everything that KG can, except he's not the same kind of beast. but he's perfectly capable of running point, he can stroke the Head, erm, oops, i mean the 3, from outside, and he can rebound fairly decently. he's not a rebounding beast, but hey, we already have one rubber chucky [hayes]. odom has an extreme amount of athletik-cism, and could do a decent job of keeping up with agile PFs. his defense is very superior to juwan's [he can block shots!]. and he can draw defenses by stroking the 3, much like padgett did from the 4 spot.
    the biggest deal i think is that he can DEFINITELY become the 3rd option. he doesn't need to be fed the ball. he can take it himself, and take over on his own. god forbid any future injury to Mac, but if that's the case, Odom + Yao could still keep us afloat, whereas the same can DEFINITELY NOT be said of Juwan + D-Wes + Yao. if anything were to happen to Mac for a number of games, Odom could slide into the '3' spot, and do a pretty good job of filling in; chuck or stro could slide into the PF spot, and the remaining person could back up the '4.'
    there's no argument that lamar is a superior player to D-Wes and Juwan. the question is: is he worth twice juwan's contract?

it's unlikely that LA will give up on Odom for Juwan + Q-Rich, but considering their aspirations for Odom + Kobe, they are kinda disappointed with the experiment. they'd be getting a sure thing out of Juwan - a different kind of PF that doesn't require the same kind of degree of ball-handling to be effective, as odom needed. they also get a 'dependable' sharpshooter (Q-Rich) to punish the double-teams with. rocket fans may wonder why we'd want lamar, despite all the above, mainly because of his inconsistency, and also because of his failure to mesh with kobe. if he didn't work out with kobe, why would he work out with Mac and Yao? i think our system is more team-oriented, where the star players are less selfish, and the supporting players do less looking-on than in LA. this is definitely open to debate.

if we get Odom to go along with T-Mac+Yao... wow.
    i'm all-in for that. i doubt LA would be, though.

2. jlwee

jlwee Member

So the lakers traded Odom for Juwan Howard who is old with a huge contract and Q Richardson who has one leg..... Why do you think lakers will do this trade????

3. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I do not want Odom, I do not want Francis. I do not want anybody that can't play effectively off the ball.

The only player in this league that could make Odom live up to his potential is probably Steve Nash. As far as Francis...well, I don't really feel like getting into it with him.

4. thech0senone

thech0senone Contributing Member

the lakers are getting raped on this deal.

5. Biggienaz786

Biggienaz786 Member

i posted the reasons in my post. maybe you should re-read it.
    according to HoopsHype, Lamar's contract is straight through 2008/2009. Juwan's is through 2007/2008, with a player's option for the last year. so juwan's "huge contract" is, at best, a year shorter than, and at worst, the same length as, lamar's contract.

according to ESPN.com:

Juwan Howard
    2005-2006 Season
    51Games 31.0=MPG FG%=.463 3PT FG%=.000 FT%=.757 Reb/G=6.5 Assists=1.4 PPG=10.9

Lamar Odom
    2005-2006 Season
    50Games 39.2=MPG FG%=.449 3PT FG%=.333 FT%=.690 Reb/G=9.2 Assists=5.3 PPG=13.9

on the whole, Lamar's stats are a little better, but then the Lakers could use Q-Rich and Kobe as their perimeter players, and can insert Juwan into the starting PF spot, decreasing their dependence on Kwame. in other words, they get more of the offense that they need: draining the open jumper. lamar has been good, but by no means great in this aspect. he needs to dominate the ball to a degree to be productive. they already have brian cook who can sink his shots. if they put juwan and q-rich out there, then it increases the number of ppl that can kobe can pass to when the defense collapses on him.

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

you see the lakers traded away shaq and lamar odom was the main player they got in that deal. so im sorry but i dont think they would want juwon howard for that.

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I would love to add Odom to this team.

8. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

I don't want to be critical, but:

To me, this thread is dumb. Really dumb.

Who cares WHO we would want? It's flat ridiculous to propose that JHO would land Odom. Just the plain-old, unadulterated, poo flinging monkies kind of ridiculous.

take this crap to Realgm.com - you will find this idea welcome there. try it. i dare you.

I'm just saying...

9. Biggienaz786

Biggienaz786 Member

to a degree, i agree with you and especially peleincubus - who points out that if you look at this trade possibility in the big picture, there's no way that Juwan+Q-Rich+Caron+BrianGrant = Odom+Caron+BGrant when trading away Shaq [althought this is open to debate, too] - and that's why in my initial post i said that it'd be unlikely that LA would agree to this. but if the rumors are true about them shipping out Odom in a multi-team deal that the Rockets happen to be included in, then Houston HAS to entertain this idea, even if it'll be almost impossible to pull off.
    the crux of this deal is the fact that Q-Rich + Juwan fit in LA's system better than Lamar does, and Lamar fits in Houston's system better than Juwan does - or at least he can do better what Wesley and Juwan do for us.
    the monkey part was hilarious, btw.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

how could Q Richardson and Kobe be on the same team, didnt they both date that fish looking girl brandi?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

Sam is that you?

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Lakers werent going to give up Odom for Artest, they arent going to give him up for Howard+Q.

I dont see the Lakers moving Odom unless they get an impact player in return and not a slew of middle of the road players.

If the Lakers make a move, I would think they would move the expiring contract of Devon George.