1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who would you draft if the Rockets had the 2nd pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, Jun 10, 2009.

?

Who would you take?

1. Ricky Rubio

329 vote(s)
    66.3%
  2. Hasheem Thabeet

78 vote(s)
    15.7%
  3. James Harden

63 vote(s)
    12.7%
  4. Other...

26 vote(s)
    5.2%
  1. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

See that is the kind short minded stuff that never really got us anywhere for 10 years now. You talk about championship runs and what team should do when they are in pursuit of one. I'll give some examples.

San Antonio Spurs - Drafted Parker and Ginobili and made them vital part of the team so they could develop and contribute which they did in 2 championships since end of Elliot/Elie/ Robinson Era.

Los Angeles Lakers - Traded for Kobe in the 1996 draft even though Shaq was in his prime and ready to make a championship run after getting swept by the Rockets in 95. Took LA 5 more years of development before they were ready to win a championship. Do you know why they traded away Nick Van Exel and Eddie Jones?

Dallas Mavericks - Traded away a #5 Pick Devin Harris while he was developing in exchange for one chance at rolling the dice with Kidd. Look at who's laughing now.

Phoenix Suns - Traded away numerous draft picks including Luol Deng, Nate Robinson, Rajon Rondo, Sergio Rodriguez, Rudy Fernandez. Tell me they don't regret those moves now with Nash and Shaq near the end of their careers?

In this league you always build for the future regarless of where you are as franchise. The bottom feeders look for star players in the draft and the playoff teams try to find good role players instead of overpaying their aging vets. Some teams are good only at one of those while true championship builders can do both via a draft.

I can name every team (with the exception of Detroit 04) in last 20 years that has won a title using this philosphy.

2. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

All that work for nothing. I said it is not always the best choice meaning you can draft based on talent no matter what. I even said I would not care if we got Rubio bc I have no problems with drafting for our future. Our YOUNG pg combo took the Lakers, probable 09 champs,to 7 games without our two key players. We are not in need of a pg now or the immediate future if we have the right pieces. We are lacking size and I feel Hasheem can contribute immediately and still grow over the years. Rubio's potential is obviously high but never a garuntee.