1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who would you draft if the Rockets had the 2nd pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, Jun 10, 2009.

?

Who would you take?

1. Ricky Rubio

329 vote(s)
    66.3%
  2. Hasheem Thabeet

78 vote(s)
    15.7%
  3. James Harden

63 vote(s)
    12.7%
  4. Other...

26 vote(s)
    5.2%
  1. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

Never ever ever watch Youtube videos of a person to determine if they are good or not. Thats not the way to do it.

2. cyruszhang

cyruszhang Member

If you have as high a pick as #2, always go for the talent rather than the current need of the team... Blazers would love to talk with you about their heart breaking story of Sam Bowie :D

3. cyruszhang

cyruszhang Member

well that video I posted is the highlight of one complete game. And he shows every aspect of his game, against arguably the best team in Europe. You be the judge~~

4. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

I think the biggest question is how are the Clippers going to F this up. Hell they may pass on Griffin!!

5. cyruszhang

cyruszhang Member

Just found out he is actually the Defensive Player of the Year of ACB (Spanish Basketball League)... Leading in steals

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricky_Rubio

6. cyruszhang

cyruszhang Member

Hell that's even better I'd love some more griffins... R.I.P eddie

7. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

Well In the Rockets situation compared to the Blazers the Rockets have a Championship team in place. They are 1-2 players away and Health to take it all. If somehow someway the Rockets are able to have the #2 pick It would be best to try to trade that pick to get a proven player. Something like how Boston did to get Ray Allen. No need to go in to rebuild mode or add someone who isn't going to be ready for possibly 2 or 3 years when we need someone now

8. Raven

Raven Member

OK, I'll just say it. I simply can't bear the thought of yelling RICKY! when I go see the Rockets play. It would be more humiliating than singing the Yao Ming song. :D

9. mikeyharris

mikeyharris Member

Matters what we traded for the 2nd pick

10. cyruszhang

cyruszhang Member

yeah somewhat true; but Blazers back in early 80s was also a post-season presence, they didn't draft Jordan since they already had Clyde?

I like your idea of drafting Rubio and maybe trade for some really good pieces in return.

11. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Agree, but again this is Memphis. I don't htink they know what direction they want to go in, add the financial problems they're dealing with, you just never know Tracy's contract and a future pick may do it.

12. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

I wouldn't draft him at all. Not that many teams are in need of a pg. I'll rather entertain the idea of seeing what other teams would be willing to give me for that 2nd pick. Depending on who the team is and what players they would be willing to give up. Give them the pick and let them draft whoever they would like.

This whole Rubio thing would turn into the Gay/Battier trade situation. But when its all said and done this is and IF thread and Rubio isn't coming here.

13. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

#2 pick they say harden or rubio or thabeet. But honestly I think Demarr derozan is going to be a superstar in this league. His athleticism is intriguing but his offense game is very nice with time and maturity I see him being kobe. I understand we want to win right now, but the draft is really about potential and the argument can be made he has the most potential alongside blake griffin and dont sleep on jrue holiday.

14. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

I would also like to get BJ Mullens

15. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

If your team is set to make a championship run then drafting a player for the future is not always the best choice. Unless maybe you have a trade in the works. Drafting on talent alone even with a high pick is being one dimensional and setting yourself up for failure.

16. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

But when you have artest contract up this summer as well as von wafer and yao and tmac up next year. You have no choice but to look forward to the future.

17. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Cash!!!

18. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

2010 there is a lot of free agents coming up so I don't think the the Rockets are rebuilding yet. I garuntee you Morey has little interest in Rubio, he is not conventional.

19. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

If you recall, we essentially traded Swift for Battier. To take Swift's contract we had to throw in Rudy Gay, the player the deal was all about for the Grizz.
    Remember, a pick in and of itself has no value. Hence, we would have to have a really bad contract to make the salaries match. Other than T-Mc, who do we have that fits that description -- umm, Battier? BTW, we first have to figure out what would be attractive enough to the Grizz to get the #2 pick in the first place, which really complicates trading the #2 again. Ergo, only a three-way or four-way trade makes this all actually possible.

BTW, I don't think Morey can pull it off. I will stand up and salute if he can.

20. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

That would probably be the biggest issue. But, I think this scenario is very unlikely. I doubt Memphis will trade the #2 to us.

If by some crazy stretch of imagination it does, I would like to get Rubio. He may flop or be disappointing, but he is already a better passer/facilitator than Brooks ever will be. That means someone who can get our play makers the ball more easily. Also, I don't think he takes alot of shots, either.

Still, it depends on who we trade....