1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who would you draft if the Rockets had the 2nd pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, Jun 10, 2009.

?

Who would you take?

1. Ricky Rubio

329 vote(s)
    66.3%
  2. Hasheem Thabeet

78 vote(s)
    15.7%
  3. James Harden

63 vote(s)
    12.7%
  4. Other...

26 vote(s)
    5.2%
  1. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

Rubio has not proven anything yet and he can't shoot.

2. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

249 for Rubio :eek: :eek: Are you kidding me!!!!! Guys must not have seen the playoffs or something. THE ROCKETS DO NOT NEED ANOTHER GUARD!!!!!! Yao went out. Deke went out. HMMMMM what do we need?? Scola is 6'8. Landry 6'7. Hayes 6'6. HMMMMMMM I wonder what the Rockets need more than a rookie pg who is 19. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The 2nd coming of Mutombo is what we need!!! :D

Thats only if we had the 2nd round pick btw but we don't. :p

3. engr chris

engr chris Member

BJ Mullens!

4. redao

redao Member

I'd like us to trade the 2nd pick.

This draft has too much risk.

5. abc2007

abc2007 Member

If the rockets want a backup center, Mullens may be the best fit. He will be drafted between No. 15 - 20. The rockets can pay much less to get him.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I disagree with this.

It is not a center dominated league, it is a guards and forwards league.

Centers are dead with the new rules for the most part...

Rubio is special....as is Curry and Griffin...IMO.

DD

7. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Rubio is great! But, I doubt the rockets are able to get the no.2 pick!

The rockets' real target might be BJ Mullens. He will be a decent backup center.

8. hotdamn

hotdamn Member

Harden looks to me like a poor man's Redd....nothing like Brandon Roy,

Rubio would be a great pickup for the future IMO.

9. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Harden reminds me of Joe Johnson... The only comparison I haven't really heard.

10. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

Except that the two teams that are in the finals have some good bigs. Rubio will be a non factor for a couple years and I don't think the Rockets are willing to wait. I am glad bbs does not run the Rockets organization.

11. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Harden. Watching two SF's on the court together just gets painful to watch.

12. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

Im glad you disagree. I would hate to agree with someone who thinks Corey Maggette is good for this team ;) :p .

The league isn't a dominated league by Centers because there aren't that many dominate centers left. Im glad this board isn't control of the Rockets. Who knows how this team would look like. Everyone is thinking more of fantasy instead of reality. Picking Rubio just because of the hype he is getting is not good at all.

How do you know Rubio is special?? Are you able to watch games overseas?? or is it because of what your reading about him?? Same thing for Stephen Curry?? I watch college ball. Curry never ever NEVER EVER showed up when it was a huge game. Davidson lost in the NIT. Guys can kill all they want overseas and in college but once they get to the NBA its a different story.

Whoever is picking 2nd better make sure they are making the right decision. Im sure no G.M wants to have a Darko on their team and waste all that money for a guy who isn't going to play.

13. Strawman

Strawman Member

I'd take Rubio and trade him for Thabeet + cash/picks/package for better players.

14. Raven

Raven Member

Anyone familiar with his game?

15. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

If he is going to be drafted between 15-20 then how are we going to get him?? We have No draft picks :( Our pick went back to its rightful owner.. HAHA and they say in Morey we trust :rolleyes:

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

there is no debate. #1 Blake Griffin and #2 is Ricky Rubio. Unless we WE'RE looking for a franchise center, then you pick Thabeet. high draft picks are STARTERS not backups. Last year we were BEGGING for a great PG and now when it's possible we're dafting a back up center?

Ricky Rubio case closed.

17. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Rubio is not a typical PG prospect being picked at #2.

He has the potential to be the best point guard in the league. I doubt Thabeet will ever be better than the best centers in the league.

18. Vivid

Vivid Member

A lot of people want Thabeet in preparation for Yao going down. The truth is we can't win expending resources to make up for injuries. We need to spend our resources on what we believe can be on the court. On the court we had Scola and Yao for 89 games last year. We may need size, but we need size to compliment what we have. If we are planning on building a team around Yao's "seasonal injury" we will simply never be able to get the most bang for our buck. When Yao is healthy we have an asset that would be underutilized. When Yao is injured, no matter how good his backup is we lost our best player. Either we roll the dice and plan on a healthy Yao, or Yao needs to be traded. We don't gut the team to provide his backup in case he goes down, that gives us a team with less depth in the mean time and we wouldn't be able to compete anyways if Yao went down.

You act like we would just be adding Thabeet to our current squad. Even an outstanding trade like Tmac/Brooks/Hayes for Darko/ Jaric/ and Thabeet would leave wholes in our roster. Sure our 5 position is solid, but are you ok with rolling with Lowry/Jaric at the point?

Look, nobody knows how good these two will be. Let us just assume that they will both be about the same caliber in their primes, so we don't need to worry about drafting the "bust." Now it is a matter of deciding which one helps us now after the trade. Do we draft a potential all-star center when we gave up our young pg or do we draft a potential all-star pg for our pg. It is a matter of maximizing our resources. Maybe the best move is to stand pat, or draft Harden. Bottom line, between Rubio and Thabeet, if the price is Brooks (+ something else), do we upgrade the 1 knowing we would only have Lowry, or do we get a 5 knowing we have Yao? I am inclined to believe Rubio is the choice here. This is not my advocating a trade, or even my advocating Rubio's fit in our scheme, just my reasoning that Rubio would be more of a "value" addition then Thabeet given what we would give up.

-V

19. cyruszhang

cyruszhang Member

I've been watching Ricky videos on Youtube; he IS good, great passer, great court vision, and not-so-shabby defense.

He's got quick hands and is long enough for most PGs in the league; and his lateral speed is lightning quick and ability to go through screens looks legit to me. His defense almost reminds me of.... Sasa Vujabitch... yeah, sasa vujabitch, quick hands, always reaching in, fake moves to trick the dribbler to go the way he expects; it is annoying as hell when sasa is defending Wafer, but I would LOVE to have this kind of defense on our own team, just to get under the skins of the opponent and annoy the hell out of them.

The latest highlight reel of Ricky is against Real Madrid, super power in ACB. Check out how he shows all aspects of his skills, passing, euro-step layups, keen penetration, and more
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMCor5nREF8

He is AS GOOD AS Nash in passing and running the team. And he is young. Just not sure whether Yao would be able to catch those no-look passes and lobs, LOL~ :D But Scolandry would be more than happy to dunk over those amazing passes.

20. min

min Member

a LONG, ATHLETIC, SKILLED player
    who is TALL for his position

this league is all about match-ups...

if you have a player who is just as good, but TALLER than everyone else in that position... then you create match-up problems!!

look at portland with outlaw and aldridge
    fakers with odom and ariza
    magic with hedo

i would actually try to trade for anthony randolph... talk about a specimen!!!!