1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who would you draft if the Rockets had the 2nd pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, Jun 10, 2009.

?

Who would you take?

1. Ricky Rubio

329 vote(s)
    66.3%
  2. Hasheem Thabeet

78 vote(s)
    15.7%
  3. James Harden

63 vote(s)
    12.7%
  4. Other...

26 vote(s)
    5.2%
  1. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

Hasheem Thabeet has not been playing basketball long and is showing steady improvement. His potential is no where near Rubio but I think he will contribute much faster and help Yao. Also I would not put it past the Clips in passing up Griffin but most likely we won't get the second pick. If we get the pick I will be happy bc either way we are getting a solid player.

2. KiwiRocket

KiwiRocket Member

That's the very reason I have doubts over him. Rubio has been playing Ball since he was very young, so he has studied the game and is a special player already. To pass up someone with that much potential over someone who may only be a backup for us and isnt guaranteed to be very good is a huge risk.

3. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

And that is why I like him bc he is a solid player who is only getting started. But someone's max potential is never really known until they are there. A person can shows tons of potential early but never really improve. Over the years Hasheem has shown the ability to improve. I think they are both a risk, many prospects amount to nothing and coming overseas makes it riskier. I mostly just think we need to solve our front court problem first but I understand not passing up better talent. So I guess I am done with this particular topic.

4. KiwiRocket

KiwiRocket Member

I just wouldnt think that Morey would trade into the top picks and pick a position that we are already sorted in, sure we need a backup but there are plenty that we could trade for.
    You want a special player out of the top picks and there are only 2 IMO, Rubio and Griffin.

5. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

If we pick Rubio, will he be of much use to us?

Yao has already established himself as the best center in the game. However, he isn't called "Butterfingers" for no reason.

Rubio needs a team like the Hornets to thrive. The offense centers around the playmaking ability of the PG, who can create for people that can't create for themselves.

You never see Paul and Chandler play the inside-outside game like the entire Houston team does. Our offense centers around giving it to Yao, and seeing what he does with it. If we draft Rubio, I feel that some of Rubio's talent will be wasted.

If we had a line-up that featured Scola and Landry at the 4 and 5, respectively, then Rubio would be a no brainer.

But I think we should trade down a pick for cash, and Thabeet.

6. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like Thabeet is going to be a flop?

7. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

WE are not in rebuilding stage. WE were damn near 1 game away from the finals (takin we would have beat DEN).... WE need established players. Why trade tmac's worthy contract for some unprove commaditiy..wen we are going to have wayyy better opputitunies to improve the structure of this very very good team. Thats why yall guys are not GMS or ne thing makin ROCKETS DECISIONS for that matteR!.. MOREY knows wats he is doing, and i kno for a fact, he is not going for the #2 pick or ne pick for that matter, cuz we dont need it!

8. DrJB25

DrJB25 Member

He does operate well on the fast break, but that doesn't mean he can't slow it down to feed Yao the rock. Although AB is an premier scorer, he is terrible at passing and force feeds yao WAY too much. I don't think he is that type of pg that will ever become a good distributor. He is a barbosa type of player which is awesome.

Rubio is already a better defender and passer than Brooks. Would he start over Brooks or lowrey this year? Absolutely not, but could he crack the rotation? I think he might if he keeps working on his game.

Draft for talent in the first and when the talent drops off later draft for special needs.

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Rubio, Thabeet fills our most pressing nee, but his ceiling seems alot lower.

10. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Since Rubio can start over Calderon, he definitely can start over Brooks or Lowry!

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

If that's the case, how come rudy gay or ronnie brewer isn't on the roster?

12. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

NBA and International ball is not the same thing.

13. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Ask Yao and Scola about it!

14. The Ming Dynasty

The Ming Dynasty Contributing Member

Although Obama may have better skills (a la Swift) at least McCain has a brain), and we won't mortgage our future by being Billions over the cap. ;)

15. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

And how long did it take Yao to develop who was older than Rubio? Scola is already 29 with years of experience and has already played many NBA bigs before ever playing a NBA game. It took Scola a whole year to fully adjust and he is no where near as effective as he was in Spain or for his home country.

16. JamesC

JamesC Member

If we had the 2nd pick, I'd go for Thabeet. We desperately need size in the middle after Yao. We saw how valuable an older Mutombo was for us...now if we could get someone with that same ability, except bigger and much younger...

17. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Young means easier to learn new things!

18. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

We took Rudy Gay, do you not recall? He was the best player available.

19. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

No it means he a lot more to learn about basketball in general. And he has been playing International ball for years so it is already programmed in him. He is not some fresh pod, he has years of playing a certain style. His potential is the only thing I like, he is probably the second best player in draft if he buys out his contract.

20. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

We had no intentions of keeping him though so your point is kind of moot. Either way your wrong, you don't draft based on talent alone. Sometimes you have to draft on what you need unless no one fills that role or a certain player is leaps and bounds better than everyone else.