1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who would you be most willing to trade away?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by omgTHEpotential, Oct 15, 2013.

?

Who would you give up easiest?

1. D-Mo

64 vote(s)
    21.2%
  2. T-Jones

98 vote(s)
    32.5%
  3. D-Mo + Asik

53 vote(s)
    17.5%
  4. T-Jones + Asik

41 vote(s)
    13.6%
  5. D-Mo + T-Jones

46 vote(s)
    15.2%
  1. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

If Dmo can learn to slam that ball through, I'd be behind him 100%.

Even if that "if" is unsatisfied, I'd still choose him over what I've seen of Jones.

2. helpourselves

helpourselves Member

I'd like to see Jeremy traded to Lakers. The coach here hates him.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

-Longterm value- I think D-Mo holds the most versatility to eventually back up Howard at the backup center spot if/when Asik is either traded or leaves in free agency, and he can also play alongside Howard as well. Point is, I see a long term future and key roles for D-Mo in the future with this team.

Also, he's a skilled 7 footer any way you look at it. Those guys are always at a premium value wise even despite some warts. Look at the Bargnani trade this Summer. Bargnani is one of the worst players in the league, but teams are always going to be intrigued by 7 footers with skill. D-Mo's value will hold over time. No need to trade him just cause.

-Asik is value for win-now mode, but long-term I just don't see him being a Rocket after this year. I'm more than willing to trade Asik first and foremost, but its got to be for a great player coming back in return. Someone you can justify as an improvement basketball wise.

You look back at OKC and the Harden trade, and realize how important it is to have an impact 6th man coming off the bench to go deep in the playoffs. I'm willing to trade Asik, but only at an upgrade basketball wise.... which might not be possible.

Point is- I'm willing to let Asik walk in free agency in the Summer of 2015 if I can't find a decent trade for the Rockets. He's that important to the bench that you dont just sacrifice that talent for a year or two cause he's leaving in two years. You take the chance to contend short term over losing him in free agency.

-Of these three players, I'd say Jones is probably the most replaceable. He's a great athlete and has excellent skill level for a player his size, but he's not the type of player that is going to be a consistent scoring threat throughout his career.

I liken Jones a lot to Jeff Green when he was with OKC. If you can move him and get back a player of need, you do it. However I'm not going to trade him just to trade him. He's too good for that. I'd let him develop a little more, play him in complementary roles, and keep him throughout his rookie contract. He's too good of a player to just give away.

So I can't really give you a straight answer on this because you would move all three player, but under completely different circumstances for each one. If you're wanting more definitive answers, ask more clarifying questions.

4. basketballholic

If Jones becomes anything close to Jeff Green he will have significantly overachieved. And Jones and overachieve don't belong in the same sentence.

5. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Yup. And If we win it all this year, he is almost guaranteed to be here next year to give us a chance to win again, despite losing his trade value. If we come up significantly short, then he is our prime trade chip to upgrade and fix that problem.

6. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Sorry TJones, I like him, but it is Jones. He has not shown himself to be a bright, quickly improving, cerebral player. Maybe I'm a throwback fan, but unless you are insanely physically gifted, doing the little things benefits each second of every play (being in the right position, setting the right screen, making quick decisions, knowing when to help, etc.) help a team more than just being physically gifted, unless you are supremely gifted. Jones, while athletic and with good size, is not suberb enough in either area, alone or combined, to overcome his lack of ability to do the little things. Since he is young, I am willing to give him some more time, but I fear that he won't truly be able to contribute to a championship team consistently until he is in his late 20's or 30's, and I don't think that fits our window. I think of him as somewhat of a Kenyon Martin type, who, while physically gifted, arguably came into his own as a strong team player only after he passed age 30.

Frankly, I am starting to think of Greg Smith the same way, but Smith is ahead of Jones on the curve likely due in significant part to his extra year of experience.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think he can still be the primary trade chip in the meantime if the right deal comes along, but you just have to be extremely picky with that deal, and you can't make a Harden/OKC like mistake that could cost you in the playoffs.

You have to be able to balance long term sustainment of success with winning now. The fact is Presti didn't have to trade Harden right at that point, and Morey doesn't have to trade Asik right now.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I forgot, Clutchfans is biased towards Rockets players, they think everyone on the roster is an all star. D-Mo is smooth in the post, that's about it. Smooth post moves that hardly turn into consistent buckets.

9. amak316

amak316 Member

I keep them all, they have high upside. I think needing a great 4 for this team right now is the biggest misconception on these boards. There still is only 1 basketball and every starting five needs at least one player that doesn't need to get a ton of touches and works well off the ball and does the dirty work. Our rotation is stacked and we should enjoy the ride. It's all about chemistry now, if a top 12 player makes himself available without having to give up Dwight or Harden we take it, but no need to force something.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's the Rocket with the best post moves since Olajuwon.....that's why I would say that. DMo obviously isn't anywhere near as good as Olajuwon but it's laughable for someone to say that the guy with the best post game on the team since Olajuwon "can't create their own shot". That's the context in which I compared them.

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Louis Scola says "como"?

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He can say that all he wants, won't change the fact that DMo's post game is a hell of a lot better. DMo is faster, bigger, and has more post moves than Scola, if Olajuwon helps him finish better then he'll be one of the top post players in the league.

13. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

A very very important point. D-Mo is seven feet and last I heard 262 pounds. With an exceptional low post game already. He could be ready to take over the Howard back up role next season. At which time I could see Asik being moved. But as you pointed out I do not believe that Morey will be in any hurry to trade Asik. That 27th ranked defense when Asik was off the floor last season is a frightening thing.

14. NotChandlerParsons

Finally an opinion of yours I wholeheartedly agree with.

15. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Damn I must have been delirious when I wrote it. :grin:

16. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Why would we trade D-Mo? He's a skilled 7 ft big man who can run. He's more of a blessing to our team than a sin.

I'm pretty sure any team would love to have D-Mo on their team, right?

So why would we get rid of him?! He has and will learn so much if given the faith and time that he will succeed with us. Don't let him linger around or else he will definitely be a waste...

17. dje243

dje243 Member

Whoa there fella... I agree that D-Mo has a very high ceiling in the post. But you have to realize that Scola made his living in the post. Crafty as hell. Didn't need height or hops to get to the rim. D-Mo has the physical tools to become the better player but he has a ton to prove before he's even close to being on the same level. I say this as a huge D-Mo fan.

18. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

I think our starting 5 should be:

Dwight
    Casspi
    Parsons
    Harden
    Lin

Everyone else is tradeable to me. I had high hopes for Terrence Jones and D-Mo but lately I've been having my doubts about them.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You must have went to bed early on Saturday because Dmo was owning everywhere.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Scola doesn't make that much of a living anymore. He was always more of a BBIQ/effort type player than he was a super talented player. What I'm saying is that DMo has more talent and more numerous post repertoire