1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

who would u pick number one

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lovermanbuda, Sep 3, 2002.

1. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

You're on for ten bucks! I accept Paypal. :D *shake*

2. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I would probably take Yao. I didn't know much about Hakeem coming out of college, mainly due to my not being born. :D I think we've seen enough of Yao to see his potential. Not saying Hakeem didn't have any, but a 7'5 sweet shooting center? Come on! :)

If I had to chose between getting JW or YM, I'd probably go with Yao since a good center can usually help a team better. (usually.)

There's my choices.

3. gram!

gram! Member

*shake*

HA HAAAAA!!!! sweet cash!!

i will be rich, 10 smackers american, i will be sooooo filthy rich....

;)

4. INrocket

INrocket Member

This is crazy, what are centers for? Are they there to shoot jumpers or bang down low. Obviously hakeem is the player to choose, because he is a bigger inside scoring threat, better rebounder, and better defender. Plus he played 4 seasons of college and proved he was legit, while ming played against much inferior competition. Height doesn't mean anything if you can't use it to get easy scores and rebounds, though ming is a good shotblocker.

5. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I guess playing against NBA all-stars is inferior competition? :rolleyes:

6. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

olajuwon man

7. leehoang

leehoang Member

i would have picked yao. yao seems to have more of a offensive

game. and he probaly wouldn't created the "Ming Shake". ha

8. Stevie Francis

i would have got dream, then traded him in 96 for kobe and a pick.

9. Timing

Timing Member

Olajuwon dominated against top talent back when the best high schoolers actually played college ball, plus he helped the Coogs to three consecutive Final Fours which is no joke. I'd definitely take Akeem over Yao.

10. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

Hakeem would have been the logical choice considering we already had a finese type 7' plus center in Sampson. Hakeem provided the strength and power needed on the defensive end and anything offensively was icing on the cake.

11. CoPilot

CoPilot Member

Its Rocket related so what forum is it suppose to be in ...Let me know so I can start reading that fourm...:cool:

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The Coogs had Drexler, Micheaux, and Young plus a bunch of high flying guys alongside with Dream. Dream wasn't even a starter during the first trip to the Final Four. In the last NCAA Final he played, he wasn't exactly dominating Patrick Ewing.

You have to look at what you had when he hadn't played a single NBA game and compare that with what we know about Yao Ming now.

You can't look back from all these years of greatness and say picking Olajuwon would be a no-brainer. If you don that, then you'll have to wait till Ming's career is over to be fair. Even then, we might still have a great debate. Look how we still are not sure whether we should have taken Jordan over Olajuwon.

13. Panda

Panda Member

Who would I pick number one?

Hm.... me.:)

14. Timing

Timing Member

Originally posted by Easy
    The Coogs had Drexler, Micheaux, and Young plus a bunch of high flying guys alongside with Dream. Dream wasn't even a starter during the first trip to the Final Four. In the last NCAA Final he played, he wasn't exactly dominating Patrick Ewing.

He outscored Ewing 15 to 10 without Drexler. Ewing was the top pick the next year, I'd say that's impressive or something. Ewing in 84 was certainly better than Antonio Davis has been ever.

You have to look at what you had when he hadn't played a single NBA game and compare that with what we know about Yao Ming now.

Yeah, Final Four MVP in 83, All-American in 84, and led the NCAA in rebounding, blocks, and fg% vs Yao's CBA numbers.

15. aznlincolnpark

I would go with yao ming:D I didn't pay much attention to the rox not until rox get yao ming....:) Now all my attention to the Rox

16. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

I think it will be difficult for Yao to average 20 points next season because he will be at best the third option on offense behind Cat and Steve.

17. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by JamesC
    By the way wrong forum.

I think some people say crap like that to feel important!

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I would have taken Akeem over Yao as well.Akeem had a inside game even without having developed his dream shake.He was a terrific dunker,strong rebounder and more physical and aggressive than Ming.Yao's passing and shooting was better than Akeem's,but Olajuwon also had the experience of playing the college game which prepared him better for the NBA.

19. JamesC

JamesC Member

It wasent originally posted in this forum. It was posted in the NBA dish forum. I said wrong forum so that it would get moved into this forum so all you people could read it.:mad:

20. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Boy is my face red, and I will be the first to say Im sorry *extends hand in friendship*