1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who would be the #1 option ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dennis2112, Nov 26, 2002.

?

Who would be the #1 option?

1. Steve Francis

33 vote(s)
    30.3%
  2. Yao Ming

52 vote(s)
    47.7%
  3. Cat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Whoever the hot hand was at the time

24 vote(s)
    22.0%
  1. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

Who would be the #1 scoring option in the last minute of a close game?

I want the ball in Steve's hand to either drive, shoot, or dish.

#1 Dennis2112, Nov 26, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2002
  2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

3. Dennis2112

Damn A-Train, I knew I left somebody out..:D :D :D

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

The player with the best fg% in not just the team but in the whole league should get the best shot...

That one was easy;)

5. New Jack

New Jack Member

Right now, Steve, but eventually I want the ball in Yao's hands. I think he's better at finding the open man in the likely scenario that he's double or triple teamed. Steve, I fear, would probably just take the difficult shot even if the defense collapses on him.

6. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

I say Yao!! not for him to take the shot, but for him to have the ball in his hands. He can shoot or pass to whoever is wide open (francis, mobley,etc..). I just cannot stand these crazy 1 on 5 mentality at the end of games.

7. verse

verse Contributing Member

in the last minute? yao...simply because he has the most obvious mismatch in most cases. as soon as he was double teamed (which you can guarantee would happen) he has the eagles' nest view of the court. this also makes for the easiest pass.

8. Dennis2112

Are you proposing to move Yao to PG?

Who gets the last shot should be determined by what the defense is giving you. If they are in a zone to collapse on Yao, should you still give him the ball and risk a turnover?

Maybe it would be better to let the PG run a play and use his abilities to take a shot or dish it out.

I am not saying Yao should not take the shot but the defense will dictate to shot selection...to a certain extent.

9. kwik_e_mart

kwik_e_mart Member

Even though Yao can shoot, but he needs more experience when playing in a desperate situation in the NBA...

I go for whoever has a hot shooting touch in the game... it can be anyone...

10. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Your poll is "Who would be the #1 option?", not who handle the ball. Francis is the PG, so he will have the ball most of the time. No argument there. Basketball is a game of mismatch, and Yao has the most obvious mismatch than anyone else on the court.

So, the #1 option will always be dumping the ball to Yao in the post, let him make the shot or pass. If Yao was doubled without ball, like a few occasions in the Maves game, then whoever opens should get the ball. Someone has got to be open, right?

11. Dennis2112

I agree with you. I was responding to someone who suggested that Yao have the ball in his hands but necessarily shoot. Now yes Yao can shoot better than any other Rocket but if the defense is geared to stop him IE zone defense, you must look for other options.

12. Quakes

Quakes Member

I say Franchise!!! With Yao on the court as well bouncing around in the center like a madman and drawing the attention of defenders looking to double/triple team him. :D

13. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

I want the ball in Steve's hands. Not Yao's. Yao is a young rookie. Steve is the team leader.

14. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Contributing Member

Agreed!

On a tangent topic:
    When Yao is in the game, why isn't he the one shooting technical free throws???:confused: He appears to be far and away the best FT'er on the team.

15. mprodrig

mprodrig Member

I agree that Yao should have the ball in his hands with the game on the line. Steveie seems to get out of control when has the ball at the end of the game. Earlier this season against the Suns he had the ball and got doubled...he then passed the ball off to EG who was at the 3 point line, we were only down by 1.

Against the clippers he only had a sec to get the shot off but I would have like to see him pump fake and get his man in the air and draw a foul instead of taking running floater.

16. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Contributing Member

I thought he got a decent look under the circumstances. I think it'd be highly unlikely he gets a call there. You almost have to get maimed to get a call like that at the end.