1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who will be the 1st Astro to get traded? What would you do?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by redgoose, Jan 24, 2004.

1. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

I don't see Doggie getting traded. LA was the only possibility, but their ownership sale in pending makes it near impossible.

It's obvious we have an excess of pitchers that other teams have already begun preparing scouting reports on.

If i were the GM i would package Lane and either Robertson/Duckworth. This pair would be very intrigiung to many of the crappy or rebuilding teams out there. They'd get an instant young lefty starter and an above average right fielder. Robertson and Lane's trade value are at their peak right now. Remeber, Lane is already 27.

I think this combo could get us a highly touted prospect in return and a possible setup man. Our farm system is very depleted right now and needs to be revamped STAT if we don't want to go into a rebuilding process in a couple years. Remember, were a mid sized market team that can't go signing big name players.

I know alot of people really want to start Lane now. But the reality is Biggio has said he has no plans of retiring when his contract is up and i feel we could resign Hidalgo at a much lower price tag than he is currently making. Plus i would rather us get a speedy center fielder that can steal bases than play Lane.

Don't get me wrong, i would much rather play Lane than Biggio, but that's not happening due to the man who has his own locker between Bags and Biggio.

So what would you realistically do if you were the GM?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Get rid of Biggio...Lane is ready.

DD

3. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Once again, we get quality, in-depth analysis from DaDakota

4. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Why would you mess with a team that feels like it's got a legitimate shot at a championship? Hidalgo was our best position player last season, why would they trade him? The premise is flawed, imo. Our farm system lacks depth, but our roster is full of young, talented players who won't need replacing for some time. I'm with DoD, Biggio's an expensive luxury when Lane could put up similar numbers. But nobody's going to trade for him. I'd expect him to ride off into the sunset by 2005.

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The next to HidalGO is Doggie with Robertson, in my guesstimation. I expect the ownership wants to ship out RH's bux and it'll take a young lefty as a fellow traveller to make it happen.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

You know, if we do win it this year we win with three of the most coveted players in Red Sox minor leaguers in their entire History. Adam Everett, Jeff Bagwell, and Roger Clemens. I can only imagine what it would be like if play the Red Sox in the world series.

7. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

If a player leaves Houston to take more money, I hope you never question the loyalty or integrity of that player.

8. l3igballer23

l3igballer23 Contributing Member

I agree with DaDokata. As much as I like Biggio, Lane is probably better at this point.

9. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I don't think that Everett belongs with the other two.

10. redgoose

Adam Everett was highly touted. We traded a superstar in Carl Everett staright up for him. I'd say the Sox got the better end of that deal. Carl was never the trouble maker Jimmy made him out to be. You just have to leave the guy alone and let him do his own thing. To this day under Dierker, Carl would be a 30/100 guy with speed.

Anyways, my problem is that as much as we all want Lane to be a starter this year, it's not going to happen. I just hope we don't let Hidalgo go next year and then Lane turns into the next DWard. We could've got alot for Ward when he was just a bench guy.

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Carl Everett was traded after the 1999 season, way before Williams became manager.

12. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

Williams was the Red Sox manager when carl was there.

13. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

with starting pitching at such a premium, I think we could afford to trade one of our decent non-startes (Robertson or Duckworth) for a good Double AA level prospect outfielder. The only sure bet int he Atros outfield for the future is Berkman. I'm not sold on Lane yet, and Biggio and Hidalgo would both have to take pay cuts to stay on the squad after this year. We can afford to trade one of these pitchers b/c we still have Carlos Hernandez in the wings plus some pretty decent prospects in the minors. A yound speedy OF that can leadoff would be perfect for our future.

14. redgoose

Jimmy managed 97-2001.

15. redgoose

Your thoughts are pretty much on par with mine. The only reason i would trade Lane is because a package of Lane and Robertson would be very intriguing to most GM's in baseball.

With Lane they know exactly what they're getting. Our farm system, even with Buckholz, is still easily one of the worst 5 in all of baseball. This package could very easily land us a young #1 pitching prospect. Plus, it's alot easier to trade pitching for hitting, than vice versa. I also think Hidalgo is a better player right now that Lane will ever be.

I'm just not sold on the fact that the Astros can resign Wade Miller. Especially given our recent history. And most people don't realize shoulder injuries can be much more problamatic than elbow injuries, which is why i worry about Carlos.

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

This note from Sporting News on Astros' trading, for whatever it's worth?

http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2081690

The Astros should consider trading one of their young starting pitchers for Orioles 2B Brian Roberts. Astros 2B Jeff Kent and leadoff man Craig Biggio are free agents after this season, and Roberts could fill either role or fill in at shortstop. The Astros eventually want to replace Biggio in center with a speedy lefthanded hitter. Devil Rays LF Carl Crawford fits the profile, but he is more suited to a corner spot. . . .

17. redgoose

Ahhh.....Good old (or should i say young) Carl Crawford. I would love to see another hometown kid return to Houston.

He has all the tools to become a star in this league. The only thing he needs to work on is his pitch selection. But with a kid his age, that's expected. He would make a great leadoff hitter. His 55 stolen bases and left handed bat would really help balance our lineup.

I doubt the Ray's would trade him for Robertson, maybe Duckworth and a filler, but i'd be willing to bet they'd bite for Lane straight up.

18. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Whooops, sorry, you meant with the Red Sox, I was thinking Astros.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i thought chris burke was the 2b of the future.

i could see them trading robertson or another starter...they'd be dealing from a position of strength in a position that is highly valued. sounds smart to me.