1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who Will Be the #1 Overall Pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Jan 30, 2014.

?

Who's going first on June 5?

Poll closed Jun 5, 2014.
  1. Carlos Rodon

92.3%
  2. Jeff Hoffman

0.7%
  3. Trea Turner

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Tyler Kolek

2.8%
  5. Jacob Gatewood

1.4%
  6. Alex Jackson

0.7%
  7. Other, please name

2.1%
  1. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I got a fever, and the only prescription is more Rodon...

#21 xcrunner51, Jan 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  2. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

FIFY

[​IMG]

3. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

the only non-anonymous non-rodon pick was htowndiehard, he voted 'other-please name' and theres a huge possibilty his vote might be for teddy bridgewater..

4. Nook

Nook Member

Agreed..... and Carlos Rodon has been seen wearing an Astros cap over the last few months..... coincidence? Maybe, but odd for a kid with no connection to Houston.

5. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Alternate alternate thread title: The numbers are clear: Carlos Rodon deserves to be the #1 overall pick

6. XIrocket

XIrocket Member

Did this really need a thread..Rodon is clearly number 1

7. xcrunner51

I posted something like this but edited it out. It's almost no more a question than drafting Harper or Strasburg in their years.

Public poll /= deserves to be number one overall. That's just sloppy. The numbers are clear that Clutchfans wants to draft him #1, which was not really news.

8. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

pretty damn exciting thinking of a future pitching staff that includes the likes of rodon, appel, woj and mccullers. safe to say that all four have serious top of the rotation potential.

9. xcrunner51

I like Woj but based on scouting reports he doesn't have the 60+ pitches or well above average control/command that TOR starters have. Maybe you're thinking of Folty?

10. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

i am thinking of folty... knew that sounded off but then again i really don't keep up with the minors all that much save for what i occassionally read on here (which is probably as good a source as any!)

11. cardpire

cardpire Member

And David Price.

12. Xercules

Xercules Member

Where did you see this?

13. astroscolt45

astroscolt45 Member

If it is anyone other than Rodon we are mmaking a huge mistake

14. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

What. Yeah, it's 3A competition, but still.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Tyler Kolek with 13 K/0 BB last night. Now has 48 K/1 BB over 22.1 IP, allowing 2 hits. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23MLBDraft&amp;src=hash">#MLBDraft</a></p>&mdash; Dan Kirby (@DanMKirby) <a href="https://twitter.com/DanMKirby/statuses/447542449515163649">March 23, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

15. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Bumping this to add, Kolek is getting a lot of attention. I was at a college game over the weekend and sat with scouts from several teams. they were taking a look at a pitcher and were all getting a little antsy because the game was starting later than planned. They were all scheduled to see Kolek later in the day and all of them were very high on him. One scout for a team that picks between 5 and 10 was going to see him but said he would never get a chance to pick him because he would be gone before the third pick. The others pretty much agreed.

None of the scouts at the college game were from the Astros and the player they were there to watch impressed no one. He threw hard but not as hard as advertised and he was wild and struggled to get mediocre college hitters out.

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

There is a part of me that wishes we were picking 2nd, because I like Kolek so much. I felt similar about Kohl Stewart last year. The big difference is I like Rodon, while I was not a fan of drafting Appel or Gray.

17. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I have not had a chance to see him live. Shepherd played my nephews team in a tournament, but he did not pitch against them. He had thrown earlier in the day and my brother-in-law saw him. He was very impressed and he knows a little about the subject ;)

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I don't think Luhnow will get locked into Rodon unless he's a million % sold on him... just like he didn't get locked into Buxton or Appel in 2012, and set it up where Appel had less leverage to play hardball in 2013.

I could see them going heaving on college-age players who are ready to make an impact sooner rather than later.... and if there are guys who need to be paid more/over-slot, it could definitely impact if they go all-in on Carlos.

19. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

yea a HS arm is exactly what the Astros need to compete in the near future.... SMH

20. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

This isn't football where you draft for immediate help