1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who will be in Houston by the year's end

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by boozle222, Jul 11, 2013.

1. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

With Jared Cosart on his way to Tampa to make his first start for the Astros, you have to begin wondering how many of the young gunz are going to make it up from OKC. Jeff Luhnow was quoted as saying:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Astros&amp;src=hash">#Astros</a>' Luhnow said he expects several other prospects will make their <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23MLB&amp;src=hash">#MLB</a> debuts this year.</p>&mdash; Brian T. Smith (@ChronAstros) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChronAstros/statuses/355332385409220608">July 11, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So let the speculation begin.

With the trade deadline approaching, it is fair to wonder who will be moved and what spots will be open. Assuming Bud stays healthy and the Astros get a decent offer, it is fair to think he may be gone. Veras has been better than advertised and could also boost a team's bullpen rather easily. Even the Crawfish Boxes are throwing around the idea of cHRis carter being traded. It is fair to assume spots will be open, and it is evident that players will be called up.

From looking at the roster in OKC, there are a few names that pop out to me as prospects that could be seeing time in Houston by the end of this year (in no order): Chapman, Peacock, Singleton, Springer, Stoffel, Villar, Wojo, and Zeid.

Chapman
    [​IMG]

Kevin is someone that I have yet to see in person, but I hoped would pan out as a late inning guy for the Astros. The one thing that stands out to me when looking at his line is the 29 free passes. 29. Having a 9+K/9IP is fantastic, but that kind of lack of control is not something you want to see in the late innings. In his defense, he is pitching multiple innings per game and has only walked 5 in his last 12 (compared to 24 in his first 26 IP). That being said, I think that he is number 2 in the relief pitcher list when, and there would need to be some player movement and players faltering in Houston for him to come up.

Peacock
    [​IMG]

This wouldn't be the first stint for Brad (I was at the A's game earlier this year where he pitched), but he seems like the pitcher he was advertised to be now. Peacock did terribly in AAA last year while in the A's system, but his most recent stint leaves little to be desired by the Astros. Opponents are batting a stingy .204 against the Peacock, and he is doing this while staying just below 9Ks/9IP. Frankly, I thought he would get brought back up before Cosart, but he should be next in line from OKC. Lastly, I mostly want him to come back just so that I can use this gif:

[​IMG]

Singleton
    [​IMG]

Who wasn't high on this guy going into the season. Kidding aside, I do wonder how much of the suspension is hurting Singleton and his stock for coming up this year. Also worth noting is the log jam at first. Now, it is worth noting that Singleton holds precedence over all in the first base competition after killing it this spring and the fact that he is one of the many faces of the future. All things considered, he has struggled since getting to OKC after brief stints in CC and QC. With only one XBH in his last ten games and only 5 in 25 AAA games, Singleton hasn't locked in yet, and I would imagine that they will give him the chance to do so. He is turning 22 in Sept, and I would think that there is patience with his promotion since this is his first taste of AAA.

I also wonder what the future is for Wallace/Carter/Pena. Pena is obviously not a piece of the future and may be moved is someone is specifically looking for him, but what about Carter and Wallace? Carter can play out in the outfield (God willing) and Wally has spent some time at third. Bah... why even weight the options, he is clearly going to get called up when they want him to.

Springer
    [​IMG]

Do I need to do a write up here? The K's are in check, and he is just destroying AAA. This is all in Luhnow's hands, and I think he will get called up quicker than originally anticipated. There is just no way you can keep a guy down when he is knocking the ball like Springer is. He is the true 3 hole hitter we need.

My guess: late July.

Stoffel
    [​IMG]

This was my pick for the "Astro prospects under the radar" at the beginning of the season. After starting the year off as the closer in CC, Stoffel moved up to OKC and picked up where he left off. Striking out 28 in 36, he has held opponents to a .177 AVG and has yet to give up a homer in AAA. Stoffel followed in the footsteps of former Astro Mark Melancon at Arizona and holds their saves record (which was Melancon's prior). Jason has the make up to be a late innings guy, and I would guess that he is the first bullpen call up. If Wright continues to struggle or if Veras is moved, I would think that he would be put into the mix of 7/8th inning guys with Cisnero being the closer.

Villar
    [​IMG]

I was surprised to see Elmore get the call up before Jon, but so be it. Villar has struggled defensively with making bone head plays at ill advised times, but he has a bat to make up for it at a premium position. Villar may strike out on average once per game, but his 31 XBH (including 8 homers) have led to a .788 OPS for the young slugging SS. Acquired in the Oswalt deal, Villar has shown promise, but saw his '12 season shortened due to a dumb injury hitting a wall. Most players need to improve on the base paths, but Villar may just need to focus on the 6 inches between his ears. Speaking of base paths, how would you feel about having a SS that may steal 40+ on the year? Villar is your boy, then. For sure a Sept call up, I would be surprised if Villar didn't get tapped before then.

Wojo
    [​IMG]

His run earlier this season at AA was one the best that we have seen. Spending most of the year in OKC, Asher has experienced similar success (with a few road bumps), but is proving to be a good to great prospect. With a couple of complete games and a shut out on the season, Wojo has shown that he can pitch late into games averaging just over 6 innings an appearance. If Harrell stays out of the rotation or if Bud is moved, Peacock may be the next in line, but I could see a push for Wojo getting the call. More experience may be wanted in AAA, but there is little that cannot be liked about this possible FotR candidate.

Zeid
    [​IMG]

Man... that Hunter Pence trade was just one of the greatest things Wade has ever done. Like him or not, he got his money's worth on this trade. Zeid has closed out 10 games for the RedHawks, and his peripherals are similar to Stoffel and Chapman. A few more walks than you would like, but Zeid has struck out almost ELEVEN per 9 innings. Dude can make people swing and miss like it is going out of style. As much as I love Stoffel, you have to wonder if Zeid is the front runner to get a call up. Sept is my guess.

This may not be the most statistically amazing analysis, but I am curious as to when you guys think we may (or may not) see some of these guys. What will be interesting to see is if Harrell is either moved or kept in the pen, if Bud stays, and if Veras is moved as well... and even Carter too.

4 people like this.
  2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I think its clear that some of our AA/AAA are better than some at the ML level.

So it seems about timing.

When to push the button becomes the key.

3. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

Very nice/detailed report OP. Thanks :)

4. TimPoopura

TimPoopura Member

I think the value in Chapman is as a LOOGY, as his splits against lefties are pretty good. He's primed to take Wesley Wright's spot

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

IIRC any callups must be on the 40 man roster.

To be called up, it appears that Chapman, Singleton, Springer, Stoffel, Wojo, and Zeid would have to first be put onto the 40 man roster and someone taken off to make room. I am guessing that Pena and Cedeno could be removed if they are not traded for prospect by the trade deadline.

Peacock and Villar are already on the 40 man roster.

6. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Solid point and something worth addressing:

[​IMG]

Pitching wise, I could see Cruz and Martinez being optioned. The rule 5er just never panned out, and Martinez is aged, injured, and serves a role that may be better suited for another team. I included Owens and Ambriz for two different reasons. Owens is 25 and finally turning it around in AAA. Part of me actually wonders if he would be included in a smaller trade due to our high amount of pitching talent coming up (too hopeful?). I included Ambriz... because I think he is awful. Maybe it is the fan in me, but I just don't see why he is on the roster. Not here to defend my stance or argue it, but I just don't want to see him in the blue and orange.

Ronny Cedeno should be replaced on the 25 roster by Villar in my opinion, and him playing in AAA is unneeded in his career. I think he will be released when the time is right for him out of respect. Trevor Crowe? Unlikely to be removed from the 40 man, but it just shows how much depth we lack in the OF right now. After Maxwell stops sucking, I wonder if Crowe will be indefinitely in AAA after injury and then possibly released. Jimmy... what could have been. An athlete that just doesn't seem to have "it". Again, unlikely, but I just don't like seeing him on the 40 man.

Bedard, Noris, Veras, Corporan, Pena, and maybe Carter are all players that may be moved, but you are right. In order for these guys to come up, room as to be made. I wonder what changes the 40 will see over the next few months.