1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who was the 2ND Best PF/C in 2000

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Chronz, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Chronz

Chronz Member

This was the first year after the lockout and the year the Lakers won 67 games. Shaq won MVP and his first title, so yes he was without a doubt the best player in the game, but Im asking outside of Shaq who ranked 2nd and how close was the gap between the 2 in your opinion?
    Looking only at the guys who made the All-Star game these were the only viable candidates:

[​IMG]
    Rasheed Wallace (18.1PER): Was the centerpiece to a Portland team with the 2nd best record in the league and anchored a top5 defensive team. On route to making the Western (aka the TRUE) Finals, he helped the Blazers send both Kevin Garnett and Karl Malone home packing.

MVP Voting Share: 0%
    All-NBA Rank: None
    Other Notable Accolades: 5th in FG%

[​IMG]
    Alonzo Mourning (25.8PER): This would be Zo's last truly healthy year where he was at his absolute best, he led the Heat to the best record in the east on route to winning his 2nd straight DPOY.

MVP Voting Share: .30% (3rd)
    All-NBA Rank: 2nd Team (Center)
    DPOY
    All-Defensive 1st Team
    Other Notable Accolades: 3rd in FG%, 1st in BLK's

[​IMG]
    Chris Webber (23.4 PER): Lead the Kings to the playoffs for the 2nd year in a row after years of being a doormat team. The Kings didnt win as much as some of the other contestants teams did but Webber played well enough that he still received a few MVP votes.

MVP Voting Share: .09% (9th)
    All-NBA Rank: 3rd Team (F)
    Other Notable Accolades: 5th in REB Avg

[​IMG]
    Kevin Garnett (23.6PER): This year really marked the ascension of KG to fullblown superstar status, and the beginning of his perennial all defensive selections as he willed the Twolves to 50 wins and finishing 2nd in the MVP voting.

MVP Voting Share: .33% (2nd)
    All-NBA Rank: 1st Team (F)
    All-Defensive 1st Team
    Other Notable Accolades: 2nd in MIN, 3rd in FGM, 3rd in DEF REB, 3rd in REB, 4th in REB Avg.

[​IMG]
    Tim Duncan (24.8PER): The reigning NBA champ never got the chance to defend his title as he missed the playoffs and some of the regular season with an injury, he was forced to watch the Spurs lose in the first round. But as far as the regular season went Duncan was his usual dominant self though still a few years away from reaching his prime he finished 5th in MVP.

MVP Voting Share: .20% (5th)
    All-NBA Rank: 1st Team (F)
    All-Defensive 1st Team
    Other Notable Accolades: 5th in FTA, 4th in REB, 3rd in REB Avg

[​IMG]
    Karl Malone (27.1PER): The oldest guy of the bunch but make no mistake about it, the mailman was still playing at a peak level and very much still in his prime. He led the Jazz to yet another Mid-West West title and in a 55 win season.

MVP Voting Share: .25% (4th)
    All-NBA Rank: 2nd Team (F)
    Other Notable Accolades: 4th in FGM, 2nd in FT, 3rd in FTA, 5th in DEF REB, 3rd in PTS, 5TH in PPG.

2. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

Fixed.

3. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

:eek: :rolleyes: :cool: :p

emotions running wild :D

4. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

I don't really remember who I thought was second best(Probably KG or TD, though), but two notes:

1. Shaq was incredible that season. Offensive/Defensive monster...Second best season I've personally seen from a center. This is the year he went from underachieving to one of the great centers of all-time.

2. Karl Malone is the player I'd like to most and least see in a dark alley. Most because I'd punch him in the nose and least because he would proceed to beat the living @#$# out of me. @#$#, he's huge!

5. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Duncan, and IMO not very close to the next. Shaq was the best player in the league from about 99-03, Duncan was a solid 2nd, and once Shaq slipped in quickness and conditioning a little (age) Duncan passed him as an overall player (maybe 03? 04?).

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rasheed Wallace was incredible and should have beaten the Lakers in those series........

7. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

lol! I was in the middle of writing a 25-page paper when I took a break. Believe it or not, that picture took me a while to find.

And it's at times like those that I thank God for Google's safe image search.