1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who was better, Melo in 2010 or McGrady in 2005

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jopatmc, Aug 29, 2010.

?

Which player was better, Melo in 2010 or McGrady in 2005

1. Melo 2010

64 vote(s)
    13.8%
  2. McGrady 2005

400 vote(s)
    86.2%
  1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

TMac is a chucker. That year he only shot 43 percent from the field which was the highest during his time here. No wonder we never passed the first round. When the player that jacks 20 shots a game shoots below 45 percent, you aren't going to go far. Tmac is a great passer but he counteracts that by being a terrible off the ball player. You can't get an assist passing to him unless he decides he's going to jack up the ball from 5 feet behind the 3 point line.

2. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Have you ever watched them against each other. Kobe has destroyed Tmac pretty much every time they matched up. Tmac got a few highlights but theres no way he was better than Kobe.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Exactly, inefficiency is a killer.

And I voted for Tmac in this poll, but I felt dirty doing it.

DD

4. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Heres my assessment over Tmac in Houston. He simply pick and chose his spots to play and not to play too much. In 05, he was talented enough to do that. But as he got older it was obvious that he wasnt putting 100% in his game. It was almost like he waited to the 4th quarter to turn it on. He had the chance to be the best player in the league but he doesnt play well w/ injury (something Lebron can't do either). I also kinda wish he'd stayed healthy under Adelman who could've utilized him better than JVG. But sh%t happens i guess

5. SergioValencia

Looks like there are still plenty of McGrady diehards left on CF...this both saddens and humors me immensely.

Why are you Mac fans who still have your heads up his crotch not looking at that huge, glaring, ugly, 43% FG he shot at that season for us, which also happens to be the best he's shot EVER in a Houston uniform? Did it ever hit you that that could be one of the reasons he/we never made it out of the 1st round? When you score at such an inefficient rate you don't deserve a comparison with Anthony, who's one of the more efficient wings in the NBA, 2010 or otherwise. This is not even considering career achievements like making it deep in the playoffs, in which Anthony simply destroys McGrady.

You could tell every time McGrady stepped onto the floor he was half playing for his stats (or sponsors, same each way), aiming for the immediate assist but not the secondary assist, trying to hit that 50PT game mark each game by chucking and chucking and chucking. Sure, you can put up McGrady highlights from 04-05 putting up insane baskets--but then I could put up a video of shots that he CHUCKED AND should have passed and it'd be a much longer video.

Better than Kobe? Please, go post that **** on Lakersground and see how your ass will get handed to you.

6. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Calm down bro

1 person likes this.
  7. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

I have a new found respect for this board....

all of you guys are giving Mac is credit from 05.

T-Mac will always be that guy in my eyes..

That's why I still support him..

War Tmac

8. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Please post IMO at the end of posts like that. And as far as your assessment of Mcgrady, I can pretty much feel the hate screaming through the computer.. You know Mcgrady just cared about stats because you knew Tracy personally? When I watched him play for the Rockets it looked to me that he cared about winning. On that 2005 team who do you want "chunking" the shots? Mcgrady or david wesley? Juwan howard? Bob sura? Ryan bowen?? Yeah I didnt think so.

1 person likes this.
  9. akuma

akuma Member

13 in 35 . that's all you ever need to know about the man in his prime. a spectacle that you may never see again in your lifetime. as good a scorer that Melo is and as great as Jordan was, there has never been a more gifted offensive player than T-Mac. i still can't believe how T-Mac and Yao's offensive games were wasted by Van Gundy. defensively, T-Mac was meh, but still better than Melo. slightly better rebounder, better shot blocker and stealer. had all the tools to be a great perimeter defender, but it never happened. played his best defense in Toronto.

10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

'

Yeah you lost me with the part where you think Lakers fans' opinions have value. Well, maybe a little before that with all the hateful rambling.

1 person likes this.
  11. SergioValencia

Hahaha... folks like you are the kind that could worship a stick if I polished it shiny enough and slapped on an Adidas sponsorship.

Look, as much as McGrady's game is overrated on this board, I have never failed to give the man his props for the ability to market himself. Tracy McGrady is a GOD of self-promotion. Any player who can overshadow game after game of sub 40% shooting, constant ball stopping, not to mention commanding a league-leading $23 million sitting on a bench for a year, yet never making it past the first round--all of that, and still have a mass of sheep comparing him to the likes of Kobe or MJ for the few rare times he scored 40+ or pulled off a 13 in 35--deserves to be called a marketing genius.

I actually respect McGrady as a PERSON, I think he has a great charisma about him that simply draws people to him despite being constantly overrated on the basketball court.

12. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

His heart gave up long, long, long before his body did. That's why, even with all his talents, the best he could ever be was individual scoring champ and could never lead a team out of round 1.

McGrady hate wasn't born in Houston; it was born in Orlando.

13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Say what you will. But McGrady was the greatest individual player in basketball history during his days with Orlando. Had he gone 100% every single game... wow. Back then he actually did deserve that 23 million...

14. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

The thing that causes that kind of percentage is forcing shots and taking bad shots when the shotclock is ticking.

No one else would do it as much.

15. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

So what? He was the best playmaker in the league at that time. He was more of a point guard who needed more options but never got them (JVG's fault).

16. Batman Jones

Who else's opinion would it be? "IMO" is redundant. It is obviously his opinion.

When people in real life respond to something I've said by saying "in your OPINION" I cannot yell "DUH" loudly enough.

17. affter3333

affter3333 Member

I personally think you are right.

1 person likes this.
  18. Batman Jones

True, true.

Too bad it's a team sport.

19. Batman Jones

Well, it's about time somebody said so.

20. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

The lack of basketball Knowledge displayed in this post is absolutely shocking. McGrady wasn't paid $23 million because he was good at marketing.

He was a 6'8 shooting guard that could play Point. That ability alone created mismatches all over the court. Add to that a decent low post game. Add to that quickness and vertical that competed with athletic guards in the 6'1-6'3 range.

Imagining a young Yao that could play high post with a good mid range shot and a T-Mac of 2004-2005 makes me want to puke at how terrible they were utilized. Putting Yao in the low post with a 6'8 shooting guard standing on the wing was one of the dumbest coaching decisions ever.

Imagine the damage that the rockets could have done if they could have secured a good supporting group. It hurts to think about the other 2 guards in the league trying to guard T-Mac in the low post. Leave Yao 1 foot of space and his mid range jumper from the high post goes in every single time. double T-Mac in the post and somebody is wide open, every single time.

If they switch off of T-Mac or Yao, somebody else has a mismatch. The possibilities were dizzying.

In other words, An 04-05 T-mac was worth every penny of his contract, it was the coaching staff that failed to utilize our team on the offensive end.

2 people like this.